Why become a member? ×

Squier Rascal bass anyone?

Marvin

On 18/07/2023 at 00:48, daveybass said:

My Labella’s have turned up today- I’m going old school

How do they sound? Assuming you've put them on yet! And what length did you go for? I was wondering if the Mustang ones would work, but not got as far as actually measuring the string length yet! 

1 minute ago, Kateplaysbass said:

How do they sound? Assuming you've put them on yet! And what length did you go for? I was wondering if the Mustang ones would work, but not got as far as actually measuring the string length yet! 

Low end lobster on you tube has an updated video using Labella MUS flats. Perfect for the rascal he says 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, krispn said:

Low end lobster on you tube has an updated video using Labella MUS flats. Perfect for the rascal he says 

Brilliant, thanks. Knew he'd promised to do one, but didn't realize it had landed already. Will go and have a watch! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kateplaysbass said:

I went for the Mustang ones but haven’t put them in yet- week from hell

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, krispn said:

Sounds really nice with the flats- it’s a great short scale sound on a normal scale bass

• Like 1

I reckon some short scale TI flats would sound amazing on one of these. 

They really look like strum-able shred machines. I bet the overall slimmer neck would be brilliant for playing chords on. 21 frets with access to all of them. Makes a change from the puzzling 19 you usually get on a SS...

I love how this bass answers a question that no one was asking and aces it anyway! 😄

Edited by miles'tone

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2023 at 20:39, Jono Bolton said:

A guy I follow on Instagram posted that they were showing briefly on the Fender website, but weren't available anywhere and were taken down. Possibly a CME/Anderton's exclusive like the some of the Bass VI models were. I wouldn't get it myself; the "Shell Pink" used by Fender nowadays isn't pastel enough to be Shell Pink IMO

Looks nice here:

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/other/limited-edition-paranormal-rascal-bass-hh/0377107556.html

On 14/08/2023 at 18:18, Woodinblack said:

It does, I was thinking of the Shell Pink that Squier used on the Classic Vibe Bass VI and Jaguar/Jazzmasters (plus a few Mexican Fender models). They did a Squier Paranormal Super Sonic in Shell Pink that looks to be the same as the Rascal, and it was much closer to the "correct" shade IMO. The few pictures & videos I've seen of the Shell Pink Rascal look very good, I just need to try and get a shot of one first to see how I get on with the scale and the neck.

It’s ok if a different bass feels different. Once you spend some time on it you adapt. And what feels uncomfortable at first can become comforting in time.

Spoken by somebody with too many basses , and no duplicates.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Happypants said:

Mine arrived today after some faff with UPS. Fit and finish is very good, including frets. It's going straight back though as it's 10lbs which is a shame.

IMG_3147.thumb.jpeg.4b157c335bcd231d1f360cbe5f7b15ad.jpeg

It's like my VI, even though it's a shortscale all that extra body behind the bridge means it feels - and weighs - a lot bigger than you'd expect. Sad to hear this one isn't working out for you.

Mine arrived at my local music shop here in NZ about 2 weeks ago, just haven't got round to picking it up. Had a quick noodle on it last week while I was picking up another bass I had in for some work.

I pre-ordered mine back in late June after they were leaked online. Got told the Fender distributor for NZ was bringing in 6 (3 green, 3 black) and that's all they could get their hands on as they were immediately available from the Fender site in the US with free shipping (and originally had the pink as a limited edition, US-only option) and were already on back-order. Apparently they dont ship direct from China, they all ship to US and then on to other regions from there. Was told originally it would be late November for arrival but turned up 7 weeks early.

I wanted Sherwood Green anyway, so put my name on the first one of them that was due to come in. It looks amazing up close. Lovely finish. Although I must say, I do have a soft spot for the Shell Pink. Have a Mark Hoppus bass in that finish and it looks great.

Hoping to pop in on Saturday and bring it home, then give it a good run through. 

Will post a vid if I get time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I finally got round to picking mine up from the shop...

Straight out of the box, the finish and set up were superb. Action was pretty much exactly how I like it anyway, intonation was spot on and very little adjustment required.

The Sherwood Green is stunning. Easily one of the nicest finishes I've ever seen on a bass. ever. not a mark or blemish anywhere. Lovely pickguqrd too. Frets are smooth, no sharp edges or anything untoward anywhere.

However, it weighs a ton! let's get that bit out of the way! Easily on par with some of my 70's Precisions.

Brought an empty SKB case to the store to bring it home but alas, its a wonky shaped beggar too. Will NOT fit in anything P/J/MM shaped as the body is quite a bit wider. Doesn't fit any of my Coffin Cases either. Only thing i have to fit it is an older G&G Fender case that my Jag currently occupies. So off to go case shopping in the next few weeks, though no rush as this will be my couch bass for a bit anyway lol.

Got it back to the office in it's box. Very well packed too.

Not long home with it but already been through the SVT, the VBA400 and the PF rigs.

Wow, what a unique sounding bass.

Puts me in mind of my Thunderbird Studio IV. Quite versatile, tone control seems to be nice and sensitive. The pickup selector switch as the faintest click noise but nothing I can't live with. And i suspect I may have to touch up the solder on the input jack as it has the finest crackle as the jack plug moves about with the cable.

May swap out the switch for something higher quality later on and add some more shielding (I do that with lots of my instruments anyway)

But yes, very impressed. 

Definitely a bargain. Don't think I'll be parting with this one for a while, if ever.

20231103_111612.jpg

20231103_112226.jpg

20231103_112214.jpg

20231103_194522.jpg

20231103_112155.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 22/07/2023 at 14:06, Dazed said:

Anyone know the bridge spacing on these yet?

Apologies if it’s been posted and I’ve missed it. 

I assume 17mm, as it seems to have a Mustang Bass bridge (which is 17mm string spacing), and the body is a Bass VI one, which would suggest a more narrow, guitar wide, neck heel/pocket, rather than a standard bass one. 

Mind though that I do not know this for a fact, but it does seem very plausible to me.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash