Why become a member? ×

Flats on a jazz... Pros and Cons

uk_lefty

I used to be big on flatwounds but I went with black tapewounds on both of these...GHS on the left, D'Addario on the right.

I have the GHS strings on six basses and D'Addario on three.

The GHS black tapewounds are exceptional.

Picsart_22-05-03_19-52-50-072.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Marty Forrer said:

TI Jazz Flats on mine.

That's the one thing I haven't tried yet on my Jazz. I've had Labella 760FS (45-105) and Labella LTF's on it (currently on there). 

Yesterday, for rehearsal last night, and my two gigs this weekend, I swapped back to TI's on my Precision, from the LTF's that were on there. I am coming to the conclusion that I prefer TI's on P basses. They are less deep, and more pronounced in the mids than the LaBellas, which suit my Precisions more for what I'm doing.

• Like 1

One thing I don't get about the flat vs round debate is the thing about flats lasting longer. I mean when rounds get old they sound like flats to me. So, with that in mind, what's the difference between an old round set and an old flat set other than feel and cost of purchase?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, chyc said:

One thing I don't get about the flat vs round debate is the thing about flats lasting longer. I mean when rounds get old they sound like flats to me. So, with that in mind, what's the difference between an old round set and an old flat set other than feel and cost of purchase?

New roundwounds don't sound anything like new flatwounds or tapewounds...in other words, they're not old right out of the pack and when they start going dead, they don't really sound the same as a good set of flats or tapewounds.

Many bassists get rid of their roundwounds after they start losing their zing. They want that roundwound sound so they buy 𝘯𝘦𝘸 roundwounds.

Roundwounds don't feel as smooth, not even close. Even some flatwounds/tapewounds feel better than others.

One more thing, roundwounds don't look this good.

FB_IMG_1620429065731.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've just bought a set to try on mine.

100% my fave on a Jazz (and anything else probably!)  They definitely change in nature as they age so maybe see how it goes if you start off unsure. IMO they start great and just get better, getting warmer and smoother after a bit of aging. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

100% my fave on a Jazz (and anything else probably!)  They definitely change in nature as they age so maybe see how it goes if you start off unsure. IMO they start great and just get better, getting warmer and smoother after a bit of aging. 

I will be installing them right after my takeaway!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Haha! Looking forward to seeing what you think. 

The A string action height might need raising btw, depends what you have on, but I often find it needs a tweak. 

Enjoy! 

they are on and I’m tuned up. 

Might need a tiny rod adjustment but I’ll let it settle overnight before I decide.

Sounding very nice though. I just tried the same settings I had used at rehearsal this morning and I liked it a lot.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 23:48, Beedster said:

Why is it he insists on sets with a gauge .070 D string, a standard gauge .065 D string already has way more tension then the other strings in the set, so at .070 I can only imagine how much stiffer it is going to feel and sound compared to the other strings.

Is it so he doesn't have to adjust the pickups of his basses for the high D and G string side?

Balanced tension strings for me, thank you.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 29/04/2023 at 11:24, chyc said:

I know what you mean. I have the oldest, gnarliest filthiest set of 30 thru 90 rounds on my Thunder II and they sound aged to perfection. However, the relatively new set of Tl flats on my Mustang have the most lovely tone I have ever heard........ I love them both and will never change them. I do like to swap between zingy rounds and thumpy flats on my Precision though, depending on my mood.

• Like 1

100 guage Fender stainless flats on my Fender Americal Standard. I find them very smooth to play and apart from a spell using Ernie Ball Cobalt flats ( same guage ), the only rounds that have been on my Jazz since new were the factory set it came with back in 2012. Always been flats since. A major pro for me is flats seem much easier on the frets and are also easier on the fingers. They last a long time and seem to get better sounding the older they get. The Fender flats also don't tarnish like the Slinky Cobalts do.

• Like 1

I put flats on my jazz semi recently and I'm havjng mixed feelings. I do love the sound, and i like the way they interact wirh effects,  but i find my fingers getting fatigued and even achy. I really need to be playing more i think to get used to them.

Im currently building a p bass and i bought a set of 49-109 labella and im somewhat regretting the purchase. 

Will a 109 be a huge feel difference from a 105 and if i have my bass setup with the 109 will i need a new nut for 105s if i want to change back?

Edited by lidl e

Rotosound RS775LD flats go on my basses.

I have a pack waiting to be opened to put on my Ashdown bass, but the round wounds that came with it seem to have loads of life left in them, so I'm waiting for them to dull before changing them.

Mark

10 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

Rotosound RS775LD flats go on my basses.

I have a pack waiting to be opened to put on my Ashdown bass, but the round wounds that came with it seem to have loads of life left in them, so I'm waiting for them to dull before changing them.

Mark

Rotosound flats are amazing. I actually like the tension...makes any round seem way to floppy and zingy after playing those. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marty Forrer said:

A new set of TI Jazz Flats on my Sadowsky Jazz. My Fender Jazz has 5 year old TIs and my P has 15 year old TIs.

I’ve got fairly new TI’s on a precision, what difference would you say is between the new ones and the 15 year old ones 

The problem is you need another jazz, one on rounds, one on flats, sorted😉

It's easy to forget up to the late 70s, early 80s most new basses came running flats out of the box....be they Fender, Musicman et al. 

I now run Harley Benton flats (ex Fender and EB fanboy), a set on a 50s style single coil P another on a jazz, the HB flats have a lovely feel being super smooth (great slides) nice tension, hold tune and to me are fairly bright for flats so best of both worlds....but I do tend to play near the bridge.

...£13 really no need to spend more😎

• Like 4