Why become a member? ×

The FIRST new bass I’ve ever bought.

Rayman

I’ve been playing 40yrs, and I’ve lost count of how many hundreds of basses and guitars have passed through Rayman towers in that time.

This… is the first brand new bass I’ve bought…..

9E777E1A-E9FF-45A5-A2C2-03953295FEF4.jpeg

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 7

Out of the box, it’s a really lovely thing. Actually nicely set up, I assume by Andertons QC, it play’s really nice…. the nut is cut a bit high, but that’s easily fixed, and I already have a set of Gotoh tuners here, but the rest will stay stock.

I’ll post some opinions on sound later

32F25338-AD19-475E-82C0-F37E8AE0E447.jpeg

19C43A45-B9BE-4186-B130-F60F97F0B79E.jpeg

B6F9DDAE-BB22-4D2E-A718-DC8171C698E5.jpeg

• Like 18

So, a couple of minor things…. the mudbucker screws are not all tightened down, one is, three are still considerably untightened. 

The nut, as per all the reviews is cut high. I’ll sort that too, so no big deal.

It really plays nice, feels nice and honestly the tuners are fine really? Lobster wasn’t impressed with the tuners, but, they’re ok.

Very nice tone, but the weird out of phase thing with both pickups on the central indent is a bit odd, but, back up slightly towards the bridge pup and bosh, it sounds ace. 

So far so good 

FED324CA-7A10-4529-B32C-A0E1053A711C.jpeg

C3FE7923-46A9-45E7-8823-97788A173546.jpeg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rayman said:

It really plays nice, feels nice and honestly the tuners are fine really? Lobster wasn’t impressed with the tuners, but, they’re ok.

Very nice tone, but the weird out of phase thing with both pickups on the central indent is a bit odd, but, back up slightly towards the bridge pup and bosh, it sounds ace. 

I concur entirely, exactly the same experience for me - set-up not too bad, tuners fine for the price, probably best to avoid central position on the pan, and the nut just needs a bit of work.  For me, all the colours in the range are brilliant and the quality of finish is pretty outstanding at this price point.  That said, I'm just about to sell mine - lovely bass but I have a few (!) shorties and the Epiphone just isn't getting any play time

Edited by three
  • Like 1

You can see the stock tuners are little less substantial than the Gotohs, but honestly they were fine really.

Fretboard was pretty dirty while applying lemon oil.

Apart from an annoying crackle from the blend knob, all else seems pretty good.

After changing the tuners, and setting it up with a set of short scale TI flats (that are still too long btw) I’m happy, that it’s a cool, old school vibe addition to my basses.

353EF863-3214-4720-AA26-59849B468F91.jpeg

C38017C1-DC0B-41FB-A530-A86F85657761.jpeg

A32844A1-29AC-45EE-A280-841960CF1545.jpeg

B8FEFEC2-DE99-41D3-AFB7-A9D82FE490BC.jpeg

9A9659A6-8228-4908-B00B-D34A2AC2648A.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks all

One last thing….. nothing needed changing on this bass, despite reviews saying the contrary. The tuners were smooth, bridge works…. You know? This is not a Fodera…. it’s old school! 

And by the way, the pickups are ace, both of them. The mudbucker, especially with flats, sounds like an upright to me. Beefy tone from this bass, typical of a shorty.

There’s no need to do anything to this bass, just plug an play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1