Why become a member? ×

Cheapish acoustic bass recommendation?

barrycreed

Hi all. I am thinking about an acoustic bass for home use mainly. The thinking would be to put some flatwounds (non roundwounds at least) on it for a *thunk* *thunk* type sound. I will probably buy used.

This is an old video which goes through a few recommendations. I believe these demos are 32" so might prove difficult if replacing strings to get some flatwounds. (Wouldn't even know if I should be getting special acoustic bass strings in this case)

Outside of these recommendations, any other used half decent brands I should look out for? Probably so many options really on the cheaper side of things...

For convenience sake, I can stick to 34".

Edited by barrycreed

16 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Get a semi acoustic  - it will have some use.

IME bass acoustics are a waste of time and money. 

My (Korean) Ovation was virtually inaudible acoustically. Played well and sounded nice plugged in. Struggled with feedback issues in loud environments, even with a soundhole plug.

Better off with a semi acoustic, perhaps with a piezo bridge and a Magnetic pickup. 

Yamaha BEX 4 springs to mind. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 2

I had a lovely aria can't remember the model number was a higher end of the range, was large and surprisingly loud acoustically. Nice when plugged in too. But it was a bit cumbersome. 

Also had a fender hot rod t bucket. Much smaller than the aria. Perfectly audibly when played acoustically for home practice. And obviously when amped was as loud as you like. 

With flats the output will be lower.

I believe there's an acoustic for sale on here might be worth a look. 

• Like 1

I used my acoustic basses, acoustically, at home for practice. Obviously, in a band setting, they have to be amplified. I play in an acoustic duo and the Kingman holds its own against a belting singer/acoustic guitar player. I disagree that they are a waste of time and money but they are certainly niche, and, realistically, that niche is in a living room or bedroom for noodling. You can use them amplified in a band situation if you like but you soon get tired of the bulk and realise that 90% of what you are doing could be happily played on a precision with flats. Like @TheGreek says, semi-acoustic basses are a good way to go. I've been playing in an acoustic duo since 2004 and began with a Takamine shaped much like the Kingman but soon tired of the bulk. Now I play semi-acoustic basses. Of the traditional shaped acoustic basses my favourite, by far, was the Taylor GS Mini Bass. Although the very short scale isn't for everyone it's more fun to play than smoking crack.

I tried a load and found:

Fender kingman nice to play ( has a neck like a fender electric) and amplified well, but it was neck heavy and rather quiet unamplified.

Korean ovation .. the sort with lots of little holes.  Really nice amped up but too quiet otherwise.

US ovation, the sort with one big hole.  My fave, but it was too expensive at the time and I never saw another.

Harley Benton ( not the ovationalike one) = surprisingly good sound and quality, bit quiet though.

Tanglewood standard, Ok but a bit brash

Tanglewood "rosewood reserve": I bought one on eBay for very little (£180?) ..it sounds ok, it's fairly loud as they go.  Amps up nicely.  Do I play it? Hmm, not a lot. Used to take it to folk sessions but it was too quiet to be heard without hiding an amp under the table. I take it on holiday sometimes and occasionally play it in the garden ( doesn't upset the neighbours). Tbh one of the several electrics and a headphone amp does the job... and for genuine no amp playing, I have a double bass.

PS:

Takamine ... Supposed to be good but I didn't track one down.

Warwick Alien ..love to try one, but suspect they're seriously overpriced for what you get.

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1

No need spending big bucks when these are available for $300 or so used...I'm talking the older models with the superior Aphex System electronics, Aural Exciter with Big-Bottom Sound.

Not another bass made with the Aphex System!

When it comes to solid-body basses, there are quite a few I can recommend, but when it comes to acoustic basses, even though I've tried out more than most people, I simply cannot recommend anything else.

(By the way, I own two and wouldn't trade either one for a Martin, Guild, Warwick, etc...D'Addario black tapewounds on both.)

Headphones are recommended.

Good luck, and whatever you do, don't listen to the detractors and their "Acoustic basses are useless " bs. That's been proven wrong time after time after time.

Picsart_22-09-28_22-03-09-362.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

As Frank Black said the ideal environment for an acoustic bass is playing on your own at home.

As soon as you need to accompany anything more than a single gently strummed guitar you will need amplification.

The good news is that the majority of acoustic bass guitars come with pickups fitted already, however tone and feedback issues may mean that you would be better off with a hollow-bodied/semi acoustic bass for "acoustic" ensemble playing, being the best compromise between image and sound.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, barrycreed said:

@jd56hawkthat dean looks interesting alright. I already have an electric bass, which is why I asked about an acoustic bass! Not sure if soundhole pickups work well in acoustic basses or now. I suppose something with a pickup would be ok. I don't plan on gigging it. Maybe a folk session might be nice.

I'd never use a sound-hole pickup.

The piezo is what gives this its tone.

(Not to mention, my Exotica is more versatile than many solid-body basses.)

As for those "They're only good for playing on your couch" remarks, not if you take the MTV Unplugged approach...plug in!

By the way, feedback is a non-issue with a sound-hole plug. I've been playing mine for eight years. The only time feedback is a problem is when I take it off and lean it up against the amp or put it in its stand.

th.jpeg-2.jpg 

Edited by jd56hawk

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

As Frank Black said the ideal environment for an acoustic bass is playing on your own at home.

As soon as you need to accompany anything more than a single gently strummed guitar you will need amplification.

You are absolutely right @BigRedX but I will say that the Kingman, particularly if you leave the bright bronze strings on, is loud enough to accompany a loudly strummed guitar/singer. You have to dig in though. For every other acoustic bass I've used or heard your last sentence applies.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The good news is that the majority of acoustic bass guitars come with pickups fitted already, however tone and feedback issues may mean that you would be better off with a hollow-bodied/semi acoustic bass for "acoustic" ensemble playing, being the best compromise between image and sound.

👆This

16 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Good luck, and whatever you do, don't listen to the detractors and their "Acoustic basses are useless " bs. That's been proven wrong time after time after time.

Interesting...so your advice is to "don't listen to them,  listen to me" even though there is a consensus that Acoustic basses generally aren't loud enough without amplification and that feedback can be an issue. 

Several people have suggested that a semi Acoustic could be a good compromise,  again the OP should take your opinion over the advice of the many...🤔🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Interesting...so your advice is to "don't listen to them,  listen to me" even though there is a consensus that Acoustic basses generally aren't loud enough without amplification and that feedback can be an issue. 

Several people have suggested that a semi Acoustic could be a good compromise,  again the OP should take your opinion over the advice of the many...🤔🤔

Hold on, let me check.

Hmm, he was asking about 𝘢𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘤 basses, and it's really quite simple an acoustic bass sounds great plugged in, furthermore, feedback 𝘪𝘴𝘯'𝘵 an issue for many. Listen to the MTV Unplugged Alice In Chains show and point out where feedback was a problem. 

Now, as far as opinions go, some are simply more helpful than others.

Plenty of people say P basses are one-trick ponies.

Fact?

No.

Just a mere opinion that doesn't contribute to the conversation.

So it isn't "don't listen to them, listen to me."

It's  "don't listen to the few, listen to the many!"

As for hollow-body or semi hollow-body basses, I have an Epiphone Jack Casady and an Italia Imola, both sound great plugged in but they're nowhere loud enough unplugged and simply can't compete with an acoustic bass.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

I have posted about this before but will repeat. An acoustic bass will not generally keep up with an acoustic guitar unless it has a large body and you play loud. I have a Tenson Jumbo which was easily the loudest instrument in the room in a folk outfit I was part of, but I am quite a heavy hitter. Also has more than held its own around campfires and the like.

However...

The OP hasn't mentioned anything but home practice, so most of the opinions espoused are pretty much irrelevant.

Folks need to chill out a bit and read properly 👍

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I have posted about this before but will repeat. An acoustic bass will not generally keep up with an acoustic guitar unless it has a large body and you play loud. I have a Tenson Jumbo which was easily the loudest instrument in the room in a folk outfit I was part of, but I am quite a heavy hitter. Also has more than held its own around campfires and the like.

However...

The OP hasn't mentioned anything but home practice, so most of the opinions espoused are pretty much irrelevant.

Folks need to chill out a bit and read properly 👍

Yes, but I'm guessing he might find the need to plug in, occasionally.

Edited by jd56hawk

I recently bought a Fender Kingman for the same reason as the OP but also to use in an acoustic band as an alternative to my DB. It does need to be mic'd as you'd expect for gigging but for a practice/jam it's fine. 

The jazz bass neck is a revelation on an acoustic bass and I forgot what a unique sound an acoustic bass with bronze strings has too. I had one of the Washburn AB10's before which was great, but the Kingman is much better for me. 

64204B86-45DA-4F7D-B186-DEA16531951F.jpeg

• Like 2

I cannot recommend these enough

Large Bodied Black Acoustic Bass Guitar

My friend who sets up gear is a real guitar snob and has lots of high end vintage Gibsons. He had one on the wall and I was blown away to the extent that I bought one. I use it at home and at open mics. With the pickup you have more options. The only downside is that you won't find a case for it. I have the largest gig bag that it only just fits in but it is quite big. The bigger the body, the more sound it pumps out and yes, I too put flatwounds on it. I had a few people compliment me on my sound on Sunday and I was just going in flat through the PA. 

IMG_1587.thumb.JPG.bdcd1bdb3499169c8b56a64495c5122f.JPG

• Like 1

No feedback issues on my Tanglewood, the built in preamp has a phase reverse button which stops feedback completely ( sounds a bit odd at low amp levels as the guitar and amp are out of phase ).

Wish the amp I use with my dB had that option .. though it's a minor issue tbh.. our guitarist band has more problems with his semi acoustic guitar (combined with a "blues blaster" boost pedal 😬)

• Like 1

I've been having impure thoughts about getting an Aria FEB for home noodling for some time.preview.jpg.5114f99e1c7ce2b71e32ee8c87f6d92b.jpg

I've never tried one but I'm incredibly drawn to the aesthetic, how it actually plays is almost an irrelevance.

For under £300 new I'm definitely tempted to roll the dice.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2