Why become a member? ×

Singing and playing

Philly

I’ve always sung and played - makes you a valuable member of a band if you fulfil more than one role for the same price too!

My only advice would be to learn the parts separately first before trying to combine them.  I usually try to get the bass part under my fingers before trying to sing.

If push comes to shove I’d rather leave out a complicated BV part for the sake of keeping the bass line solid. Tho ideally given a bit of time and practice you should usually be able to do both (there are undoubted exceptions obviously - things that are just officially Too Hard.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2023 at 18:45, bassbiscuits said:

My only advice would be to learn the parts separately first before trying to combine them.  I usually try to get the bass part under my fingers before trying to sing.

That's exactly how I do it. Get the bass line nailed, simplifying it as much as necessary, to the extent where I don't need to think about it while warbling. If I do, I invariably lose both parts, which is kinda embarrassing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used to sing lead vocals at times as well as play bass years ago. Having taken time out for some years I find it much harder now at 70 years young. I can still play and sing backing vocals but it is not as easy as it once was.

I can't even tell you how I did it. There are very few bass players that have been successful at lead vocals and playing at the same time.

It is also easier if I am playing a 4 string than a 5.

Auto pilot kicks in easier with 4.

• Like 2

I've played bass and sung lead and bvs plenty of times. It's been nearly 6 years since I've done it live onstage mind. 

If you can and want to do it, great. If you can't and/or don't want to, no drama either!

I will say I know that notable singing bass players, like Sting and R.E.M.'s Mike Mills, say doing both is hard. Just keep in mind how well those guys have done doing both!

• Like 2

We have not played for a while, but I am the bass player and lead vocalist. I always found that simplifying bass lines helped. Above all, first you have to know both parts like the back of your hand. Funnily enough, quite complicated lines that "walked" around the fretboard tended to be less of a problem. It was when you had odd syncopation that I hit problems. Take the bass line in All these things Ive done" by The Killers for example. Dead easy bass line. But I could never play and sing it properly because of the odd timing of the bass in the verse. It stumped me and annoyed me for years. I got away with a simplified line and no one seemed to notice. I was however, very cheesed off that I couldn't get it.

I think the secret is, as it is with anything, practise, practise, practise.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 22:47, lozkerr said:

That's exactly how I do it. Get the bass line nailed, simplifying it as much as necessary, to the extent where I don't need to think about it while warbling. If I do, I invariably lose both parts, which is kinda embarrassing.

This used to annoy me about our guitarist. We would learn a new song, but being the singer, I had to learn both parts to expert level. He would say let's do the new song. Just because he knew his part and could see that I could play my part  reasonably, he would assume we could do it. Far from it. I needed to know the bass part without having to think about it. You can't sing if you are concentrating hard on your bass line. It needs to be second nature because you can't sing on auto pilot.

• Like 2

I sing backing vocals in the bands I'm in. I always found it hard to play bass and sing at the same time.
Even now, I find it hard on some songs - there are ones I just can't sing on, no matter how hard I try.

As others have said, practice, practice, practice is the only way. But perhaps a good starting point, is to play along to something at home first - make it a song you know really well, with simple, i.e. not too many words. With your band, start doing backing on just one or two songs. It's tricky, and I don't know why. It maybe because guitarists often start learning with those sing-along-while-you-play-chords sort of books?

• Like 1

Technically I’m not actually singing and playing here…. However, we’re a 3pce metal band, and I’m lead vocals/bass.

I guess as the primary song writer I make my bass parts manageable while singing, but it’s never been too much of a problem. I bet it’s harder in a covers band? 

3937F35D-E40E-4321-B891-C95309B23B52.jpeg

• Like 3

Haha...fun thread. I've done some weird singy stuff over the years, probably the oddest was a three piece pub reggae type thing back in 81 when for some distant reason we ended up doing 'Forget Me Knots' too with muggins here doing the lead vox over that cool slap bassline.....I  bet the whole thing sounded bloody awful. Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do a couple of songs and a ZZ Top medley. The lead singer plays in a couple of bands, doing a few nights on the trot isn’t ideal and I volunteered to give him a break a few times in our set. However, he’s quite good and I’m terrible, so I hate hearing my voice after he’s belted out something in key while I’m usually out of key. 🙄

To answer the original question, it takes me months and months of practice to get the courage to even attempt a song in front of the rest of the band. Unfortunately I’m going to say practice. I can sing ok and bass playing is ok, but struggle to do both at the same time. 

• Thanks 1

I have done lead vocals and bass, but that was pretty terrible. I now do backing vocals, with lead vocals on one song. Annoyingly, I can't break away from singing unison with the lead vocalist (who is also 50% of the guitarists) - better than nothing but not what I'd like to do.

I've just signed up to singing lead on several songs for a one off gig in June. They're simple songs, but never having been a lead vocalist (I've sung the odd song now and again but not on a regular basis) I wonder what I've let myself in for! Rehearsals start next week so we'll see.

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

Annoyingly, I can't break away from singing unison with the lead vocalist

I struggle with this as well when singing BVs. I find singing along to the original track at home helps - I can warble in and out of unison until it sound ok without anyone else having to suffer. 😃

I can't remember the name, but believe you can get a little stomp box / pedal thingie, that "sorts out" your vocals if they're a bit iffy ( out of tune or rubbish) 

Obviously wouldn't solve the playing against a bass line but might be useful if you've been shanghai'd into doing some singing.... 

17 hours ago, Smanth said:

I can sing (not great) but when playing my bass the most I can contribute is the odd "ooohhh" or "aaahhh" to the melody.

S'manth x

Sometimes @Smanth, that's all that's needed, and it can really add to the overall sound anyway.

But perhaps its also something the OP could try - if they find that easier to do?

3 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I can't remember the name, but believe you can get a little stomp box / pedal thingie, that "sorts out" your vocals if they're a bit iffy ( out of tune or rubbish) 

Obviously wouldn't solve the playing against a bass line but might be useful if you've been shanghai'd into doing some singing.... 

There's a few. Mrs Zero has a Digitech Vocalist 4 that you plug a guitar into as well as the vocal mike and it detects what key the song is in and harmonises accordingly.

• Like 1

Just now, tauzero said:

There's a few. Mrs Zero has a Digitech Vocalist 4 that you plug a guitar into as well as the vocal mike and it detects what key the song is in and harmonises accordingly.

That prob is the one I was thinking of, as you say there's no doubt a few along those lines. 

I'm all for "cheating" if it gets the desired effect 👍

On 14/04/2023 at 20:43, Philly said:

I’m wondering how many of us bass lot manage to do backing vocals in bands. I play in a covers band and need to start doing some, but have had several attempts and usually ended in failure. 

Does anyone have any techniques to make this easier? 

I've been a lead vocalist/bass player in a few bands, as well a guitarist/lead vocalist in others and sing backing vocals as a bass player in my current band...there's no magic trick sadly, it's just a case of keeping at it.

The only advice I can really give is that you have to know both the bass lines and vocal lines inside out in terms of timing, notes/lyrics etc - the moment you have top stop and think about anything - be that lyrics or bass line - then the other will inevitably suffer!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Thanks 1

Just to echo what others have said - know the Bass line, know the lyrics and practice!

For tricky syncopated bits, I find it can be useful to slow it right down and literally work out what syllable goes on what note, then speed it up.

Another thing that vastly improves your singing is confidence.

Easier said than done, but if you go into it thinking "my singing is rubbish", it will be!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have nothing of any importance to add to this other than to reiterate the whole learn both bits thing. 

I've always sung while playing bass , I do play guitar in a band and actually find singing with guitar more difficult, probably just because I'm far less experienced.

These days I'm in a tongue in cheek country rock trio and the bass is strictly basic. Fronting the band, singing, playing , remembering 2x45 min sets worth of lyrics is a lot of work for me but I have a great band behind me and I love every minute.

FB_IMG_1682141457018.jpg

• Like 2