Why become a member? ×

2 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I've owned most of the compressors mentioned above and the Keeley Compressor Pro is my favourite.

For me, I think the keeley pro is just that little too big. A bit like the markbass comp. I'd love to have the real estate but I'm in and out of different size venues every weekend and I need to be as compact as possible. The keeley bassist looks great tho 

47 minutes ago, Delamitri79 said:

Hey. Wow that's a response 😂. Just a little about me. 

I'm currently with a busy wedding doing a mix of everything from country, Waltz, rock and pop. I play a 5 string g&l tribute going to a boss tuner to a boss EQ pedal to hopefully a compressor and then to a DI box straight to the desk and then a fees back to me for in ears. No amp. That's as complicated as my board is ever gonna be. I'm not an effects man. I don't want a million parameters to deal with but I want a little control/options available. I'd prefer as little noise as possible. I'm not after major compression, just a nice levelling out of my signal. I definitely want a pedal as that's how I've set out my stall for live gigging. I wouldn't consider myself an aggressive player but I do like to dig in a little for dynamics. In general I'm a journey man. I'm in it for the fun and love what I do. I'm lucky enough to be out at least 2/3 times a week. 

So far, what's tickling my fancy is the:

Mxr m87

Empress blue sparkle 

EBS multicomp 

Keeley bass compressor 

TC electronic spectracomp 

Cheers for the info. Seeing as you're already using a couple of Boss pedals I'd add the Boss BC-1X Compressor and the Boss LMB-3 Limiter to your list. Both simple to use, great sounding pedals that are widely available and, most importantly, both sound great. The LMB-3 is actually my go-to pedal that I alluded to above. It's a FET based design so very quick in its action, but is very clean and adds a pleasing punchy quality to your bass tone that I haven't been able to get from any other compressor, the only one that got close was the SS Bus setting on the Darkglass Hyper Luminal. Just don't use the Enhance control on it unless you want additional hiss and a weird synthetic artificial sounding high end. But other than that it's possibly the most underrated compressor pedal out there, it's very simple to use and just sounds great. You can pick them up used for very little money. 

The Boss BC-1X is a newer digital multi-band compressor with a simple 4 control layout and very useful LED metering. It's arguably a more transparent sound and has a bit more apparent low end that the LMB-3 (not that the LMB-3 sucks the lows out but more likely the band that deals with the lows on the BC-1X is causing the lows to be compressed separately which makes them sound a little 'bigger') probably a bit more of a studio sound, for want of a nebulous description. It costs a bit more than the LMB-3 but still comes in at well under £200 new.

So of these 2, go for the LMB-3 if you want a big, bold punchy bass tone, and go for the BC-1X if you want more of a studio style compression. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Cheers for the info. Seeing as you're already using a couple of Boss pedals I'd add the Boss BC-1X Compressor and the Boss LMB-3 Limiter to your list. Both simple to use, great sounding pedals that are widely available and, most importantly, both sound great. The LMB-3 is actually my go-to pedal that I alluded to above. It's a FET based design so very quick in its action, but is very clean and adds a pleasing punchy quality to your bass tone that I haven't been able to get from any other compressor, the only one that got close was the SS Bus setting on the Darkglass Hyper Luminal. Just don't use the Enhance control on it unless you want additional hiss and a weird synthetic artificial sounding high end. But other than that it's possibly the most underrated compressor pedal out there, it's very simple to use and just sounds great. You can pick them up used for very little money. 

The Boss BC-1X is a newer digital multi-band compressor with a simple 4 control layout and very useful LED metering. It's arguably a more transparent sound and has a bit more apparent low end that the LMB-3 (not that the LMB-3 sucks the lows out but more likely the band that deals with the lows on the BC-1X is causing the lows to be compressed separately which makes them sound a little 'bigger') probably a bit more of a studio sound, for want of a nebulous description. It costs a bit more than the LMB-3 but still comes in at well under £200 new.

So of these 2, go for the LMB-3 if you want a big, bold punchy bass tone, and go for the BC-1X if you want more of a studio style compression. 

Interesting - my comp of choice is a Darkglass Super Symmetry for exactly the reason you like the LMB-3. I got mine really cheap because the switch is a bit iffy and takes 2-3 goes to switch on. 

Some great advice and comments so far. It just goes to show how many things come into play when people choose a compressor. Not only does it depend on the action of the compressor but maybe more than anything else it depends on your bass, setup, signal chain and technique too. 

I am less fussy about compressors because I tend to use them at high ratio and high threshold so as long as they act quickly then I’m happy. What I’m mostly concerned with it noise, and having tried pretty much everything except the Empress, I found the plain old M87 best and certainly quieter (with my setup) than the big box Cali. Not that I use a stomp box comp much but that’s the best for me when I do. 

I don’t think there’s any shortcut other than to buy as many as you can and test them. It used and you shouldn’t lose any money, and learn a lot along the way! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Lastly, do you know what sort of compressor you want? Compressor sustainer (feedback) or compressor limiter (feedforward). Robert Keeley did a great video on this that I can't seem to find at the moment (I'm at work). FWIW, I find the latter more useful for transparency and taming peaks and levelling bass. The former has more of an "effect", which is great in its own right.

Found it, via the Keeley website

Bass Compression with Robert Keeley - YouTube

I believe the Keeley Bassist pedal is also based upon the compressor limiter/levelling amplifier circuit design, so it's ideal for levelling and smoothing things out transparently.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Interesting that you go with the lmb 3. I had looked at it and said no because of the enhance knob. You say turn it off and no problem? 

Just now, Delamitri79 said:

Interesting that you go with the lmb 3. I had looked at it and said no because of the enhance knob. You say turn it off and no problem? 

Yeah, either completely off or just a touch, no more than 8 o'clock on the dial for one of my darker sounding basses. That only leaves the ratio and threshold controls to worry about as the other control is the output volume. It's very quick and easy to dial in a great, punchy sound. I think it often gets overlooked as it's a Boss and some people tend to gravitate towards more boutique (read expensive) units, some of which are great IMO, but the LMB-3 is still an excellent little pedal in its own right. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheGreek said:

EBS Multicomp - I use one of these and I'm really pleased with it. I'm surprised that it doesn't get more recommendations but that seems to be the case with lots of the EBS stuff - including the amps - very under-rated in my opinion. 

I owned one for a wee while and loved it. You wouldn't know its on, but yet you can feel it being on. Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully it does! I only sold it on because space was at a premium so I went down a different route. I ran my comp at the start of the chain though, so dunno how it would work at the end like the OP wants.

• Like 1

I have a Jam Pedals Dynassor bass compressor and am very happy with it. If you want a very simple interface (which I do) it’s the way to go. Only downside is they’re based in Greece, so would have to factor in additional VAT etc. if ordering direct (I got mine pre B-word). Andertons stock them though and there are usually some on Reverb. 

TC Electronic Spectracomp and you can pick one up s/h for 50 quid.

I think it has many advantages over other comps, the toneprints give you a range of expertly 'tuned' compressor settings, it'll do everything from single band to tri-band compression and if you really want to you can plug it in and edit everything. 

I've got the Aguilar TLC and the Doc Lloyd Photon Death Ray, both way more expensive and not as good imo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boodang said:

TC Electronic Spectracomp and you can pick one up s/h for 50 quid.

I think it has many advantages over other comps, the toneprints give you a range of expertly 'tuned' compressor settings, it'll do everything from single band to tri-band compression and if you really want to you can plug it in and edit everything. 

I've got the Aguilar TLC and the Doc Lloyd Photon Death Ray, both way more expensive and not as good imo.

What are your thoughts on the Doc Lloyd Photon Death Ray? I don't usually get on with optical compressors but the reviews of that model intrigue me. 

6 hours ago, Osiris said:

What are your thoughts on the Doc Lloyd Photon Death Ray? I don't usually get on with optical compressors but the reviews of that model intrigue me. 

The artwork is great! As for the sound, subtle is the word. The 3 way threshold switch works really well and the mix feature is welcome. In terms of adding punch I prefer the Spectracomp but for transparency it's the Photon Death Ray.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also searching for one. I had narrowed it down to the MXR M87, Boss BC-1x, TCE SpectraComp and Empress Bass Comp.

My brain thinks that I ought to go for the Empress and be done with it, but would I be equally happy with the slightly cheaper M87? It sounds good in demos and whilst the Boss has that threshold pot, it sounded a little more processed to be in some demos vs the M87.

I'm after a transparent one which will just help with a the transients which get past my own control. Would the SpectraComp just work too? The one knob is both good (easy) and bad (feels less versatile). I'm not one to spend hours on FX pedal editing software.

I tried the TC Spectracomp and found it ok but nothing special and was always loading new toneprints. 

Personally I didn’t like the MXR I just couldn’t get on with it and found the controls slightly confusing at first. 

Best by far has been the Keeley Limiting Amplifier as it just works and is easy to set and doesn’t add any colouring etc 

Ive also just got the Boss LMB3 and it’s a very nice easy to use pedal even though it’s not the most attractive looking pedal. 

I wanted a pedal that protected my amp input from large spikes in sound playing live, but I got more than that as it tightened the overall sound as well. 
So Keeley or LMB3 would get my vote 

• 6 months later...

I'm an upright player and I found Spectracomp, Keeley Bassist, and EBS Multicomp, all tend to suck the attack out of a plucked string.  They give a lovely smooth sound for slapped bass guitar, but not for upright.

However, I just tried the Keeley Compressor Pro and it's just incredibly good. You can put soft knee in, and back the attack time off.  You get great levelling of the notes and improved sustain if you want it (I don't) but the initial attack of the string passes through cleanly.

• Like 1

Help me out please, compressorheads!

Just got a Sansamp Paradriver, yay! I have been told before these pedals should eliminate the need for compressors/limiters as they're designed to even out the sound, and I see it's manual actually confirms this.

But I have seen a lot of boards where there's a compressor before or after the Sansamp (which is in the chain and not used as DI).

After playing around with the pedal, I do hear the compressed character and my crappy uneven playing is evened out to more than I expected it would be.

So how would I justify GAS for a Boss BC-1X? :) 

Don't buy anything before reading something about compression basics: what the parametres are and how they affect your sound.

I doubt many just buy one and turn those knobs without any idea of what's happening out there.

Sound on sound has good articles, and ovnilab is still one great resource.

Edited by itu
learning to wirte