Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023

scrumpymike

23 minutes ago, stewblack said:

What an extraordinary day out that was.

Thank you to Mike and the Scrumpettes. You continue to build on the success of previous years. Wonderful. Enjoyed meeting you all so much, and missed those who couldn't be with us.

I confirmed my reputation as a soft touch where buying basses is concerned - as @Kateplaysbass put it - "don't ever play poker Stew". It was apparently obvious to others that I was going to cave in long before I had admitted it to myself.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what did you buy this time? ) 🙂 

Another great day and I second the  thanks to all those involved in the organization and to everyone who bought fantastic interesting gear to see and try.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, stewblack said:

What an extraordinary day out that was.

Thank you to Mike and the Scrumpettes. You continue to build on the success of previous years. Wonderful. Enjoyed meeting you all so much, and missed those who couldn't be with us.

I confirmed my reputation as a soft touch where buying basses is concerned - as @Kateplaysbass put it - "don't ever play poker Stew". It was apparently obvious to others that I was going to cave in long before I had admitted it to myself.

A very good day out as usual. Schoolgirl error though @Kateplaysbass - @stewblack should be encouraged to play poker by the sounds of it!

Great to catch up with old friends and to make some new ones too 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Agreed, what a super duper day, helped in no small measure by the wonderful weather, but chiefly by the forest of amazing kit and the company of smashing people. I love this place.

Huge thanks to Mike for the organising and to the wonderful ladies for an awesome spread as per. The crumble. Oh god, the crumble.

@BreadBin, your car is not supposed to sound that good 😍😍

PSX_20231008_181802.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 7

Having just returned to my abode in the west I have to agree what an excellent relaxing day it was.  My first SW Bash after many years in the SE and it didn't disappoint.  Congratulations to Mike and his able helpers, especially the catering department, you excelled.  Nice to meet some names that I only ever knew as customers.  I'm looking forward to next year already.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Agreed, what a super duper day, helped in no small measure by the wonderful weather, but chiefly by the forest of amazing kit and the company of smashing people. I love this place.

Huge thanks to Mike for the organising and to the wonderful ladies for an awesome spread as per. The crumble. Oh god, the crumble.

@BreadBin, your car is not supposed to sound that good 😍😍

It's naughty, isn't it? I must admit it makes me giggle like a child sometimes 🤣

• Haha 2

Massive thanks to Mr and Mrs Scrumpy - and all her crew - for making us all so welcome with care and attention!  Great to make some new friends, learn about the huge variety of gear available, and enjoy the wonderful setting on a warm autumn day

@neepheid, i hope you had a relaxed trip back to the North East

looking forward to more refreshing banter on the forum with everyone again soon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, that was my first Bass Bash but it won't be the last! Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome - you couldn't wish to meet a friendlier bunch of people, and I got to see and play some fantastic basses too. Many thanks to @scrumpymike, Mrs Scrumpy, and everyone else involved in organizing/ catering. The crumble alone was worth a trip down the M5! 

• Like 8

Agreed, had a fantastic bash, but sadly only just got in as the car decided its engine wasn't good enough on the way back so had to wait for a guy in a truck to come out, clear some electronics and fondle some tubes before we were off again.

Even with over 2 hours in tauntons poorer industrial estates it was worth it!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

44 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Agreed, had a fantastic bash, but sadly only just got in as the car decided its engine wasn't good enough on the way back so had to wait for a guy in a truck to come out, clear some electronics and fondle some tubes before we were off again.

Even with over 2 hours in tauntons poorer industrial estates it was worth it!

How annoying! 

• Like 1

Thanks again to Mr and Mrs Scrumpy, Scrumpet and everybody else for organising this event. Like many others, I look forward to this event in the calendar every year. Great to catch up with the regulars but also those new to this bash.

Thanks again and can’t wait until next year!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

Forgot to say thanks to @Phil Starr and everyone who lent amps to the shootout. I had fun playing them all, I hope what you heard was ok! 😂

You were great @MichaelDean. I was quietly pleased with how my Ashdown CTM-30 sounded, but was seriously impressed with the Elf and the Ampeg. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Rich said:

@neepheid, please let us know when you arrive home safely.

Thanks for asking - I made it home in one piece.

Just want to echo what has been said already - thanks to our organisers/instigators-in-chief, to our wonderful providers of food/tea, and thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I had a lovely day, got my hands on some tasty basses and had some great nerdy chat with a bunch of you.

Now, bed!  Good night!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@neepheid  glad you made it back. Very nice to meet you and your collection of basses. 

Thanks to Mike and the family Scrumpy, and everyone else involved in the organisation of the day. Nice to put faces to names. 

Never ceases to amaze me how different we all like our basses. Sound, string hights, shape etc. How one person's setup can be unplayable for someone else. But it was a great opportunity to try different instruments you'd never have a chance to try. 

Thanks again, was a grand day out. 

Edited by Buddster
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Thanks for asking - I made it home in one piece.

Just want to echo what has been said already - thanks to our organisers/instigators-in-chief, to our wonderful providers of food/tea, and thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I had a lovely day, got my hands on some tasty basses and had some great nerdy chat with a bunch of you.

Now, bed!  Good night!

And so, we leave Neepheid, safely home and tucked up in bed at HMP Grampian. Night night Neepheid. Night night viewers.

• Haha 4