Why become a member? ×

Rebellion!

Anyone else going to this celebration of all things slightly punk? Looking forward to THE DAMNED THE EXPLOITED BOB VYLANTHE DICKIES BIG COUNTRY BAD MANNERS ANTI NOWHERE LEAGUE RUTS DC U.K. SUBS THE REZILLOS BAD BRAINS THE METEORS THE VAPORS GAYE BYKERS ON ACID WASTED YOUTH CONFLICT SPIZZ ENERGI HEADSTICKS and of course, DAFFODILDOS 😁

We've managed to get ourselves onto the Introducing Stage! [/thinly disguised plug]

ChokedRebellion.thumb.jpg.16cfeb8b75577071b8ddf2e894d203f9.jpg

• Like 11

Never too sure about this.

Punk was once about youth and surprising everyone with new ideas. Everything I’ve seen of Rebellion Festival seems to be male pattern balding, beer bellies and 4 barre chord songs where the chorus is just the title of the song shouted 4 times. Pretty much every emotion punk generated in 1976/77 has been lost to a well-worn formulaic approach.

3 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Punk was once about youth and surprising everyone with new ideas

Of course it wasn't - it was about the media lumping everyone who made a band in the late 70s into the latest genre and a type of music.

I think it is just a type of music, you like it or you don't

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Punk was once about youth and surprising everyone with new ideas. Everything I’ve seen of Rebellion Festival seems to be male pattern balding, beer bellies and 4 barre chord songs where the chorus is just the title of the song shouted 4 times. Pretty much every emotion punk generated in 1976/77 has been lost to a well-worn formulaic approach.

There is a considerable element of truth to what you say (IMO of course) but scanning the band names in the orginal post I'd say at least half fall outside of what you describe.

For me whether it’s a formula, an emotion or a whatever I just concentrate on one question, do I like the music. And I do. Punk for me was always about exciting sounding music, the “movement” and anti establishment stuff passed me by, but the clothes & music, great.

8 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I'd say at least half fall outside of what you describe.

We do!

We're most certainly not balding men playing 3 chord songs... Some of ours have only 2 chords, others have at least 20! 

I'm the only one who's a bit balding, and our singer isn't a man!

And I'm also looking forward to Sunday's prominent punk headline, Steel Pulse!

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Have you checked out Bob Vylan? Highly recommended

Anyway, yeh, I've been to to last 5 or 6 Rebellion festivals running. A lot of it is pretty much as you describe, but I guess that's what people go for. I don't think my band fit into that category at all, and there must be loads more. Steve Ignorant's Slice Of Life for one, which is IMO very clever musically and lyrically. The same band plus a drummer are doing a set of crass songs - musically simple perhaps but an incredible show and certainly not just 4 chords with a one line chorus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I sort of get what you're saying, later punk did get a bit like that, having said that you've described one of my favourite bands, The Ramones, 4 barre chords and the title of the song sung (not shouted) 4 times, I don't know what made them special, but something indefinable did.

I won't be going, I've been a few times and didn't particularly enjoy it, it's just too big, too many bands, dodgy sound.

Apart from the odd exception, it just all merges into a mushy mess, for me anyway.

Last time I went I spent most of my time in the pub round the corner 😃

3 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

what's more punk than ageing baldies with beer bellies playing 'youth' music?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Everything I’ve seen of Rebellion Festival seems to be male pattern balding, beer bellies and 4 barre chord songs where the chorus is just the title of the song shouted 4 times. 

Phwoar, now you're talking! Sounds exactly like my side project The Lords Of Superglue. Where do I sign up? 😂

• Haha 2