Why become a member? ×

Rebellion!

On 08/03/2023 at 12:39, Woodinblack said:

Of course it wasn't - it was about the media lumping everyone who made a band in the late 70s into the latest genre and a type of music.

I think it is just a type of music, you like it or you don't

I don’t know how old you are, but if you think punk wasn’t a real thing in 1976/77 and was simply the name given to all late 70s bands by the media, then you have absolutely no idea how culturally significant that time was. It was seismic in impact, things have never been the same since.

16 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I don’t know how old you are, but if you think punk wasn’t a real thing in 1976/77 and was simply the name given to all late 70s bands by the media, then you have absolutely no idea how culturally significant that time was. It was seismic in impact, things have never been the same since.

I was in my beginning of the my teens, it was significant (in the UK - although measurably not had that much impact worldwide), but after that it was a label given to any band with harsh sounding guitars in the late 70s. 

And of all those bands, only a small minority wanted anything other than to make music and get famous / rich / pull.

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I was in my beginning of the my teens, it was significant (in the UK - although measurably not had that much impact worldwide), but after that it was a label given to any band with harsh sounding guitars in the late 70s. 

And of all those bands, only a small minority wanted anything other than to make music and get famous / rich / pull.

Similar age to me then. The fact that the media incorrectly labelled some bands as punk just because they had harsh guitars doesn’t in any way reduce the impact of punk and the existence of actual punk bands. It was a really big deal, and I believe it was the moment many of Britain’s old traditions were properly called into question by the youth and Pandora’s Box was opened. Certainly it was the most widely impactful youth movement so far in my lifetime. But we all have different perspectives.

2 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Similar age to me then. The fact that the media incorrectly labelled some bands as punk just because they had harsh guitars doesn’t in any way reduce the impact of punk and the existence of actual punk bands.

Which is what I said in the first place - I wasn't disputing any impact of punk, I was saying that a lot of 'punk' bands had nothing to do with a 'scene' and it wasn't all teenage rebelion, therefore as a music it is just as valid now as it was then.

On 08/03/2023 at 12:31, Lord Summerisle said:

Never too sure about this.

Punk was once about youth and surprising everyone with new ideas. Everything I’ve seen of Rebellion Festival seems to be male pattern balding, beer bellies and 4 barre chord songs where the chorus is just the title of the song shouted 4 times. Pretty much every emotion punk generated in 1976/77 has been lost to a well-worn formulaic approach.

I think this is more of a problem with the media in general and festivals wanting to have headliners people have heard of and not wanting to risk new talent headlining with the chance they won't shift tickets.

Punk had it's hay day in the 70s in terms of media coverage, so bands from that era will have more established names. There's certainly bands out there that aren't formulaic that play punk or have punk influences. They might not be so well known but that's because punk isn't front of mind in society and there's loads of other genres of music to compete with, so they're less well known.

It's a shame because Download is pretty similar. A lot of the headliners are bands from 20+ years ago and they would rather get Kiss, Iron Maiden or Slipknot to headline than giving new talent a chance to shine on the big stages.

Check out bands like Bob Vylan or XL Life if you want a new band that doesn't have a formulaic approach to punk - great stuff!

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Which is what I said in the first place - I wasn't disputing any impact of punk, I was saying that a lot of 'punk' bands had nothing to do with a 'scene' and it wasn't all teenage rebelion, therefore as a music it is just as valid now as it was then.

It’s certainly a lot less impactful now. It was raw and simplistic back then but because it was such a fresh sound it had a huge impact even musically. In 2023 it’s still simplistic but lacks any kind of freshness or shock to the senses. Therefore it’s just kind of there and not anywhere near as effective as it was. Familiarity has to some extent bred contempt.

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I think this is more of a problem with the media in general and festivals wanting to have headliners people have heard of and not wanting to risk new talent headlining with the chance they won't shift tickets.

Punk had it's hay day in the 70s in terms of media coverage, so bands from that era will have more established names. There's certainly bands out there that aren't formulaic that play punk or have punk influences. They might not be so well known but that's because punk isn't front of mind in society and there's loads of other genres of music to compete with, so they're less well known.

It's a shame because Download is pretty similar. A lot of the headliners are bands from 20+ years ago and they would rather get Kiss, Iron Maiden or Slipknot to headline than giving new talent a chance to shine on the big stages.

Check out bands like Bob Vylan or XL Life if you want a new band that doesn't have a formulaic approach to punk - great stuff!

I love Bob Vylan, have some of their stuff on vinyl. An early adopter. It has punk attitude and ferocity but I don’t consider them a punk band in terms of musical genre. More rap and heavy rock really.

24 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I love Bob Vylan, have some of their stuff on vinyl. An early adopter. It has punk attitude and ferocity but I don’t consider them a punk band in terms of musical genre. More rap and heavy rock really.

Punk isn't really a specific musical genre!

As you said, it's about attitude; in order to be a punk you don't have to necessarily sound exactly like Cockney Rejects and wear the requisite jacket and 12 hole DMs.

When I were a youth, punk was about confronting norms, pushing the boundaries, doing what you want to do. But because folks like to label things and stick 'em in the appropriate box punk became a parody of itself - it must only have 3 chords and a shout-along-a-chorus.

But as far as I'm concerned Bob is just as punk as Dead Kennedys, or Idles, or the Exploited. Adding grime, or rock, or jazz or funk to a punky mood doesn't make it any less punk; after all, Devo were punk. Essential Logic were punk. James Chance and the Contortions are punk! The main point of punk is/was individuality, not homogeneity!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

They're great, aren't they?!  I get what you mean about them not strictly being punk and they definitely have grime in their sound - just thought I'd mention them as they're not formulaic, they're an evolutionary offshoot of punk for me.

Bobby Vylan takes on some guest vocals on an XL Life tune, they're worth checking out too. Although not straight forward punk themselves, but do have shades of 90s hardcore in their sound. 

I like The Chats and Amyl and The Sniffers for a more traditional approach to punk, but then it's hard to find a band that have a traditional punk sound without being formulaic I guess? 

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

They're great, aren't they?!  I get what you mean about them not strictly being punk and they definitely have grime in their sound - just thought I'd mention them as they're not formulaic, they're an evolutionary offshoot of punk for me.

Bobby Vylan takes on some guest vocals on an XL Life tune, they're worth checking out too. Although not straight forward punk themselves, but do have shades of 90s hardcore in their sound. 

I like The Chats and Amyl and The Sniffers for a more traditional approach to punk, but then it's hard to find a band that have a traditional punk sound without being formulaic I guess? 

I’ll check out that XL Life song, thanks.

Amyl and the Sniffers are great, there’s something really off-kilter about them both in the music and the band image, even though they do follow a formula somewhat.

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Punk isn't really a specific musical genre!

As you said, it's about attitude; in order to be a punk you don't have to necessarily sound exactly like Cockney Rejects and wear the requisite jacket and 12 hole DMs.

When I were a youth, punk was about confronting norms, pushing the boundaries, doing what you want to do. But because folks like to label things and stick 'em in the appropriate box punk became a parody of itself - it must only have 3 chords and a shout-along-a-chorus.

But as far as I'm concerned Bob is just as punk as Dead Kennedys, or Idles, or the Exploited. Adding grime, or rock, or jazz or funk to a punky mood doesn't make it any less punk; after all, Devo were punk. Essential Logic were punk. James Chance and the Contortions are punk! The main point of punk is/was individuality, not homogeneity!

Punk varied a lot in the 70s, but we all knew when we were hearing a punk song. Certain ingredients such as a bit of tempo, guitars and a sarcastic or challenging vocal style. Well punk and New Wave became blurred and it soon became less clear what was and wasn’t loosely defined as punk. And then the punk influence bled over into early indie and even some of the New Romantic music, having briefly also touched the resurgent ska movement in 1979/80. 

The problem I have with the bands at Rebellion is that too many of them are extremely formulaic and limited. I feel absolutely no excitement watching fat blokes in their 50s and 60s playing Oi type punk. In fact I’d go as far as to say it’s really embarrassing to witness.

I don’t care what the people playing look like, it’s whether or not I like what they’re playing. Oi/street punk/regular punk, if it sounds good I’m in, not fussed about the outfits.

One of my faves from the scene is Dirt Box Disco, excellent band, rather eccentric look, some of the best catchiest songs I’ve heard in years. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I don’t care what the people playing look like, it’s whether or not I like what they’re playing. Oi/street punk/regular punk, if it sounds good I’m in, not fussed about the outfits.

One of my faves from the scene is Dirt Box Disco, excellent band, rather eccentric look, some of the best catchiest songs I’ve heard in years. 

Yes I don’t care about age and appearance when it comes with ability - I saw SLF last year and they were great. Jake Burns is now approximately 5 times the weight he was in 1979 but it didn’t matter because he’s a skilled musician and songsmith. My dislike of old fatties playing Oi is that it’s an incredibly simplistic and very limited type of music which only the young have a good excuse to be playing.

5 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Yes I don’t care about age and appearance when it comes with ability - I saw SLF last year and they were great. Jake Burns is now approximately 5 times the weight he was in 1979 but it didn’t matter because he’s a skilled musician and songsmith. My dislike of old fatties playing Oi is that it’s an incredibly simplistic and very limited type of music which only the young have a good excuse to be playing.

Yes I saw SLF last year as well and if anything they’re getting better with age, was one of the best gigs I’d been to for a long time. Must admit Jakes shaved head caught me a bit unawares tho.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes I saw SLF last year as well and if anything they’re getting better with age, was one of the best gigs I’d been to for a long time. Must admit Jakes shaved head caught me a bit unawares tho.

I saw SLF when they headlined a Punk all dayer in Bath, back in 1995. Bruce Foxton on bass 😎

• Like 1