Why become a member? ×

Kemp and his Wal

sshorepunk

For those of you who saw it, I apologise for bringing it up again, I know it was painful to watch, but worthy of a mention due to Mr Kemps choice of bass

Spandau B played the JR show last night and the ex-easterender / 3 pc suite salesman was sporting a very nice Wal, the guy has got taste! Huge stack behind him, not one of the usual makes, I did read the name, but forgot this morning?

That bloke who sings is very "lounge lizard" style these days, apologies if you are a SB fan, not my bag I'm afraid, the wife likes 'em though!

JR's "expanding belly" reference to Tony Hadley was ammusing!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='472186' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:03 PM']For those of you who saw it, I apologise for bringing it up again, I know it was painful to watch, but worthy of a mention due to Mr Kemps choice of bass

Spandau B played the JR show last night and the ex-easterender / 3 pc suite salesman was sporting a very nice Wal, the guy has got taste! Huge stack behind him, not one of the usual makes, I did read the name, but forgot this morning?

That bloke who sings is very "lounge lizard" style these days, apologies if you are a SB fan, not my bag I'm afraid, the wife likes 'em though!

JR's "expanding belly" reference to Tony Hadley was ammusing!

Tony[/quote]

just looked on iPlayer, he's using H&K Quantum amps and cabs (or at least that's what's standing behind him)

Martin Kemp's original Wal was one of the leather pick guard ones which used to belong to Alan Spenner, who used it in Roxy Music. Kemp sold this Wal about 8 - 9 years ago; I saw it in the Bass Cellar, when he signed up for East Enders. It had the switches on the pickups and was one of the best sounding basses I've heard. Pity it was only a 4 string!

Whatever bass he was playing I think the band sounded absolutely great. Fantastic arrangement on that first tune, which my wife tells me is called 'Chant number one (I don't need this pressure on)'. If my lot sounded a fifth as professional and good as they did on Wossy I'd be a happy chap.

Early Spandau, when they were contemporaries of the Sheffield synth bands, weren't too bad and Chant No.1 is evidence of that.

I liked the sound of Kemp's Wal (serious GAS for one now...). However, while the line itself works well for the verse of the song, it's one of those ones that stays the same for the entire song. Bit unimaginative. And possible a bit boring to play, even if it is on a Wal....

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='472350' date='Apr 25 2009, 07:42 PM']I just watched Jonathan Ross on demand while scoffing me tea and they sounded like they were really enjoying themselves. I thought it would be a bit cringe-worthy but I was impressed. :)[/quote]

+1
To my surprise I actually really enjoyed it. And the Wal sounded great - will have to get mine out for a blast now!
And how good were the brass section? Top class.

[quote name='chris_b' post='472256' date='Apr 25 2009, 04:36 PM']Martin Kemp's original Wal was one of the leather pick guard ones which used to belong to Alan Spenner, who used it in Roxy Music. Kemp sold this Wal about 8 - 9 years ago; I saw it in the Bass Cellar, when he signed up for East Enders. It had the switches on the pickups and was one of the best sounding basses I've heard. Pity it was only a 4 string![/quote]
I remember when that happened. The leather scratchplate one was up for about £1100 or £1200 at the time! And I remember when he bought it from Wal for £500 in 1987 (god, I'm an old git!)..

Aways thought the Durannies had better songs, but Hadley is definitely a better singer.

I preferred JT's basses too, especially when he got the Kubicki's! He's probably a better a bass player than MK.

Edited by MacDaddy

I saw the Spandau-Ross clip on Youtube ...
In "Chant" the drums are really not swinging at all...I don't know if he's the original drummer but his playing really isn't ok to me...Very annoying and holding the band down.
When they switched to "Gold" he played better..Hadley still sounds ok to me.
I wasn't a Spandau-fan when they were succesfull (also here in Belgium) but now I find myself turning up the volume everytime they are on the radio..Power of nostalgia but they do have a couple of great songs (I even like "Through the barricades")

Not a Spandau fan, but I have to say they sounded really slick overall. The drums and bass could be more fluid, but that will improve as they tour. They've clearly been putting in a bit of practice....

Edited by rjb

Am I missing something?

Have all the court cases been forgotten then?

I guess Gary Kemp royalties haven't been so good recently?

I was expecting this to be "sans Kemps".

I worked as a soundman for one gig with Tony Hadley a few years ago. TBH, he looked like a bit of a tramp and moaned all the way through the day about everything. He was only singing with backing tracks.

How the mighty can fall - and by the look of this clip - rise again!