Why become a member? ×

Compression.

DTB

5 minutes ago, nilorius said:

How many compression pedals do you use for your drum set ?

One on each input, so 2 x bass drum, 2 x snare, 2 x hi-hat, 3 for 3 toms, 2 x o/h, 1 x ambient. 1 x 2-channel master o/p to PA. Each has its own settings, depending on needs; sometimes by-passed. B|

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

One on each input, so 2 x bass drum, 2 x snare, 2 x hi-hat, 3 for 3 toms, 2 x o/h, 1 x ambient. 1 x 2-channel master o/p to PA. Each has its own settings, depending on needs; sometimes by-passed. B|

Well, then i got not more questions.🙈

• Haha 1

On 25/01/2023 at 11:14, Mykesbass said:

There is a huge thread on compression on here. I think it was @51m0n who posted a fairly full on guide to the art. Hopefully if it was he can provide a link, if not, sorry for tagging you!

I used to be way more active on here and talked a lot about compression. But I got very bored of arguing sound engineering methods with bassists if I'm honest, and don't get engaged in it so much now.

You have a very fine memory though if you are referring to this gem I put together based on the second talk I gave at an SE Bass Bash. The first was 2 hours long and covered a lot of compressor history and usage in music since the 1950s. I think most of the audience fell asleep 🤣

This us more about setting them up.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130215154741/http://blog.basschat.co.uk/setting-up-a-compressor/

There are other posts of mine that delve into a method for single led compressor pedals that is fool proof  a search for my babbling on compression will eventually uncover that one too.

The archiving lost loads of the diagrams I'm afraid...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Is this a tube compressor ?

It has a label on the front 'FET' (Field Effect Transistor...), which acts, in many ways, like a valve. There are many power amps with FET output stages, exactly for this functionality. B|

Edited by Dad3353

35 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Many of You puts the compression as a superb pedal, but can't explain the goods of it. Anyway it goes to the way that you like it, but don't exactly know the goods/bads of it.

You really need to understand compression to apply it and use it correctly. That is the important thing to remember with compression. You need to really understand it, the interaction of the different controls and what they are doing. My suspicion is that people buy a compressor pedal and assume it will be as obvious as a drive or delay, and when they don't get night and day results they dismiss them. But it's not an effect as such, more of a way of controlling your signal, so it's better to think of it more like a tool like you would EQ and high pass filtering. So can I respectfully ask you go and do your homework and then try again. You'll be amazed what compression can do for your tone, dynamics and feel once it is properly applied. 

• Like 6

My only experience with a compressor is the Ashdown Macchiato ,which when chatting to Dave green one day suggested would be good for me, it’s also an eq, I used it through my RM500 a few times and it sounded pretty good, I use Ampeg now so don’t really use it 

I know it’s not nice to take the fosters, and I certainly wouldn’t want to bully them, but we definitely need a Nilorius thread to capture all their great quotes and phrases. 
i love “ the goods and the bads of it…..”

that will become a stock phrase in my house hold. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 28/01/2023 at 02:20, TimR said:

I have Lozz's Keely Bassist and it's always on. 

In particular its good to have the amp gain high so your soft playing is still loud but soft and rounded and as you get louder and dig in, the attack and hard dynamics still come through but don't overdrive the input. 

It's a case of using it very subtly. 

Exactly! 

I have an MXR M87 and it's on all the time - low ratio, quick attack & quick release. I just forget it's there, but I know that it helps different types of playing sit in the mix for the reasons you have said. 

So, a question to those who know more about compression that I do. On my fretless Stingray, when I play on the G string, there is quite a drop in volume. I play quite a lot of melodic runs and when Move my run fro  the A and D string and onto the G string, it can at times become lost. My thought was to get a compressor pedal to even out the volume across all 4 string or this was what I was told would help.

Is this correct or am I barking up the wrong tree?

5 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

So, a question to those who know more about compression that I do. On my fretless Stingray, when I play on the G string, there is quite a drop in volume. I play quite a lot of melodic runs and when Move my run fro  the A and D string and onto the G string, it can at times become lost. My thought was to get a compressor pedal to even out the volume across all 4 string or this was what I was told would help.

I'd say wrong tree. Possibly you need a pickup adjustment, possibly raising one of the poles, depending on what pickup you have.

Edit, to say are you sure it's not a dead string?

Edited by MacDaddy

53 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

During my limited experience with Stingrays and Ray-style basses I always found the G string to be very weak - not in volume necessarily, but it always vanished 'in the mix'.

Compression didn't really help.