Why become a member? ×

Help required please. Bass guitar straight into the PA. Duo gig, backing tracks etc.

police squad

Ok you fantastic bunch

I already do my 80s duo. I use a Vox Tonelab or my guitar and it works very well

I'm shortly to be starting a 70s/80s/90s glam duo. Similar thing, backing tracks with guitars and bass removed.

What can my bass player use (actually it's Mrs Police Squad, she's a mighty fine player, plays with a pick, no pedals)

We'll just go into the Allen and Heath desk, then into QSC K12s.

She loves the Ampeg thing (Still uses a PF500 when gigging normally)

TIA

• Like 1

I use the Behringer BDi, it's very good, although I run it dry with the overdrive completely off and leave kverdrive duties to a Boss pedal.

I almost always go to the PA, on which we run one or two subs, and use the second output from the pedal to drive my monitor. I prefer to feed my monitor directly and get it sounding how I want to hear it, rather than drive it with an output from the mixer and get what our sound man thinks I should be hearing, and I get enough ambient sound from my homie's monitors to hear what they're up to. That's what works for me personally, although the next person along would doubtless have great bouts of head shaking and disagreement.

To head off any questions I use an Orange Crush 50 as a monitor, I just think it sounds nicer to listen to for 2 or 3 hours than a proper monitor and is kinder to the ears. I have tried in-ear monitoring, but I'm a bit down in my right ear (my time in the army was the era when ear defenders were considered effeminate by the NCOs and anyone asking for them would be scorned a a bit of a [insert politically incorrect term] and sent packing) and never felt totally at ease with them.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

I used a Behringer BDi as the only pedal into a desk for a while. Loved it and it remains on one of two boards I have as the balanced out source and is set up for mild drive. I got a Laney Digbeth which resides on the other board as it has the 'Tilt' control, which I use to tune the sound to the room. I'm sure there are others that could tell you exactly how tilt works, but form me it seems to increase or decrease the emphasis of the bass end. In a 'boomy' room, you can dial back the bass boom. It also has a nice tube simulation, clean channel and bypass and the price is good.   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

You won't go wrong with a sansamp. There's a good reason they've been around for years and they do the Ampeg thing very well.

I have the Sansamp which I use as a DI to FOH, but also have a Behringer BD121 as a spare.

The Behringer is remarkable value for money, sounds really good and is ideal for what you

require. Worth £25 to try in comparison, and handy for backup should you need it.

I’ve lent mine to a guitarist and it actually sounded okay for that as well. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, police squad said:

thanks everybody

picked up a 2nd hand tech21 sansamp.

Simple. straight into the PA.

should work a treat

I will get a Bery BDi to try though. cheap as chips and worth 25 quid I think

The behringer BDI is a clone of the sans amp, so there's no real need to do any more spends.

The only real difference between the two is that the sans amp will run off phantom power from the mixer, and the behringer won't.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, casapete said:

I have the Sansamp which I use as a DI to FOH, but also have a Behringer BD121 as a spare.

The Behringer is remarkable value for money, sounds really good and is ideal for what you

require. Worth £25 to try in comparison, and handy for backup should you need it.

I’ve lent mine to a guitarist and it actually sounded okay for that as well. 🙂

i thought I might try one and keep as a back up

• Like 2