Why become a member? ×

EWF, September - bass mistake?

JJTee

13 hours ago, 40hz said:

I, personally, don't see that as a mistake, but a definite rhythmic choice. 🤷‍♂️

A few years ago we recorded one of our songs as a one off. My girlfriend's brother was studying music production and needed a band to record one track with him as part of his coursework... so he asked us. We wrote one new song and away we went. In the intro there were a couple of places where I did something similar to what happens in September. On purpose.

Nobody said anything.

Later I get the final mix "oh, and I fixed those mistakes in the intro"... 

:sigh:

:D

• Like 1

Watched that video a few weeks ago and must admit it made me laugh. 

It’s Verdine White! He’s probably done more high profile/ pressure gigs and recordings than the commentator has had hot dinners. He’s a very groovy player. Was the part improvised? Partially/ probably. Was it a deliberate rhythmic choice? Almost certainly. The part is so up front and exposed there’s no way that he or the rest of the band or producer would have left something they weren’t happy with. 

What I find interesting is how tastes are changing. The same song got a hit from Scott’s Bass Lessons for being in the top 10 worst bass sounds on a record or something like that. Seems like the quest for uniformity trumps variety nowadays or am I just a bit grumpy tonight. 

Anyway, I think it sounds great and was played impeccably. 

• Like 1

Sounds like deliberate syncopation to me but, right or wrong  what does it really matter? The intended audience was in a disco, too busy shaking their derrieres and having a good time rather than analysing note choices and musical accuracy.

Besides, there are plenty of egregious bum notes/string buzz etc in classic tracks. Take a listen to around 5:02 on Coltrane's Favorite Things. Pianist drops a blooper and I love it and always listen out for it!

• Like 1