Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

I'm in! I may have to carve an exception for one thing I know may become necessary in the summer, but I'll commit to only making 'business' purchases as opposed to 'fun' ones. Playback equipment would be in the former category since my friend and I are trying to start a little business doing that. 

To maintain the spirit of the challenge, I'll balance any required purchases out by forcing myself to sell one or two things I don't use much first. At least that way it forces me to really commit to getting an item by ridding myself of something else. :) 

Actually, count me in. 

The plan this year is to focus on finishing all my embarrassingly neglected projects and maybe even sell some of other basses. 

I'm pretty sure I've got all the bits I need for each project so shouldn't fall foul. 

I've got three more days to go to beat last years attempt. 😄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

It's 2nd January and I've already done my first trade!!

I won't waste your time by pretending that I won't be trading - I have zero will power - If I see it and I can afford it, I'm having it!!

Hang on...surely trading exposes a loophole doesn't it? You're only changing the shape of a bass you already own, right? With no work required It's not even modding! 😄

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Hang on...surely trading exposes a loophole doesn't it? You're only changing the shape of a bass you already own, right? With no work required It's not even modding! 😄

Nope. No loop hole. It’s not allowed 😂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I’m in. I don’t want or need anything although the band are telling me I should get a 5 string 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why?! I thought you'd long established that the world's top bass players pretty much all gig 4 string basses, with one or two notable exceptions? 

You: "But Jaco only played a 4 string bass" 

Band: "Who's Jaco?" 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Why?! I thought you'd long established that the world's top bass players pretty much all gig 4 string basses, with one or two notable exceptions? 

You: "But Jaco only played a 4 string bass" 

Band: "Who's Jaco?" 

You know me… a 5 string is unlikely to be forthcoming as I can barely play a 4 string! 😂 

59 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I haven’t bought one yet. I’ve resisted for years. 

It's practically in the post then 😄

I don't want to be an enabler (honest!) but maybe your band mates are right.

Although I too manly play a 4, I wouldn't be without a 5 for those magic moments when a 5er is just so right for the music. 

In the past I played a 5 string as my main bass for a couple of years but it wasn't for me.

I have an inexpensive Harley Benton 5er now for said magic moments. 

19 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

It's practically in the post then 😄

I don't want to be an enabler (honest!) but maybe your band mates are right.

Although I too manly play a 4, I wouldn't be without a 5 for those magic moments when a 5er is just so right for the music. 

In the past I played a 5 string as my main bass for a couple of years but it wasn't for me.

I have an inexpensive Harley Benton 5er now for said magic moments. 

Unless a very good priced jap sadowsky Uv70 comes up then I doubt a 5 will happen. My uv70 has such an awesome sound. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

It's 2nd January and I've already done my first trade!!

I won't waste your time by pretending that I won't be trading - I have zero will power - If I see it and I can afford it, I'm having it!!

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Well this is embarrassing... I'm out! 😳

And this year's first participation "awards" go to... ;)

I think I'm in too.  More interested in getting my sax right nowadays.  Split with my band and decided I loathe gigging, the local venues and the people I get to play with and for.  Plus I'm happy with my fretless and my MB rig.  So the first purchase of 2023 is a sax, not bass. and we may stay that way.