Why become a member? ×

Killing Joke

SteveXFR

There must ba a few Killing Joke fans here and a few who have learnt some of their bass lines.

I've been having a bit of a search for more interesting bass parts, any suggestions for good ones?

I've just learnt Love Like Blood, simple on the right hand but the left hand muting for the staccato notes causes some hand cramps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

There must ba a few Killing Joke fans here and a few who have learnt some of their bass lines.

I've been having a bit of a search for more interesting bass parts, any suggestions for good ones?

I've just learnt Love Like Blood, simple on the right hand but the left hand muting for the staccato notes causes some hand cramps.

That’s a great line, Steve, a really good groove to it.

• Like 1

I saw them live at Trafalgar square in 1980 at a CND rally

My pick would be the the ultra dangerous track, Change.  Included on the US release of their first album.  Then a bit later, became the B side of the single Requiem

Martin Youth Glover on bass.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

Yep, long-standing fan of KJ here, Pandemonium, Night Time and the 2003 self-titled being my faves. Have to admit I've never bothered learning the basslines being more focused on the drums. As a drummer I do rate Big Paul and Martin Atkins. However, the not-so secret weapon has always been Geordie's guitar. It was hearing him for the first time that taught me poxy pentatonic guitar solos aren't necessary to make a song. Much more important are tone, individuality and attack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

poxy pentatonic guitar solos aren't necessary to make a song

Indeed!

I've been trying to convince our guitarist to play almost anything but blues-ey widdle by introducing him to Primus, and Marc Ribot and David Fiuczynski, but only limited success so far...

Just now, SteveXFR said:

Does Geordie play with an unusual style or is it just the overdriven hollow body guitar that creates that distinctive sound?

Technique + hollow body + Chorus + Delay + PA:CE/Bell Electrolabs ADT + Burman Amps

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Does Geordie play with an unusual style or is it just the overdriven hollow body guitar that creates that distinctive sound?

For the classic tones, hollowbody and big strings helps but I've always got pretty close with any guitar into modulated slapback and stereo double-tracking/light chorus. It's the combination of stereo delay into more chorus for the super wide spread that gets the vibe. He played LOUD and with lots of speakers for physical feedback and sustain rather than distortion.

He's got a style of writing that sounds 'Geordie' even with different rigs, as you can tell by the transition from his fairly clean early stuff to the modern hi-gain riff sound. His writing style comes from not being able to leave any space in riffs - every time he stops playing for even a second everything starts howling with feedback so he has to keep the pedal down on his right hand. I did prefer his tones earlier on, but everything from KJ (2003) onwards is absolute powerhouse.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. 

I remember an interview (I think with Jazz) where he said when the band first started, Geordie told them he was the greatest guitarist in the world but actually couldn't play at all!

He soon picked it up alright though.

• Like 1