Why become a member? ×

Ebay idiots

Burns-bass

A mate of mine used to tackle this by copying & pasting the text from the ad into the reply, then increasing the size of the font to massively large, and say I’ve attached the ad and made it easier for you to read.

He then, when that didn’t seem to work either would just reply that he refused to sell to them as they were too stupid to read and understand what had been written.

Harsh but fair maybe?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yep, that's a big pet peeve of mine. I state emphatically that I only do collection or personal delivery up to 20 miles. And yet...how many times have people asked 'can you post it to....'!

Take a walk in my shoes - I'm in Aberdeen - there's next to no cool gear up here locally so if I see something tasty that's collection only I'll ask.  If you don't ask, you don't get.  No need to get your nose out of joint - I can read, why do you think I'm messaging to ask if you'll reconsider?  I'm not some flecking illiterate chancer, I'll have you know!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

A mate of mine used to tackle this by copying & pasting the text from the ad into the reply, then increasing the size of the font to massively large, and say I’ve attached the ad and made it easier for you to read.

He then, when that didn’t seem to work either would just reply that he refused to sell to them as they were too stupid to read and understand what had been written.

Harsh but fair maybe?

Harsh AND unfair, have some sympathy for us in the frozen ar$e-end of civilisation!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Harsh but fair maybe?

It seems likea lot of effort when a simple no would suffice :shrug:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mcnach said:

It seems likea lot of effort when a simple no would suffice :shrug:

It seems like a passive/aggressive keyboard warrior thing to do more like.  I'd like to see them do that in reality - the rough equivalent I guess would be to speak really loudly and slowly, like someone who thinks someone who doesn't speak English will understand English if its said louder and slower.  And who enjoys seeing an ar$ehole like that engaging in that behaviour?  Pathetic.

• Like 1

Sorry chaps, didn’t mean specifically re delivery, it could have been if people had messaged him asking what colour the teapot he was selling was when the ad stated red teapot and the 13 photos all showed the colour.

But he’s def no keyboard warrior, having seen him deal with a good many people in 1-2-1 situations when attacked (never saw him go first) he ain’t no shrinking violet in that aspect.

Edited by Lozz196

As someone else in the relative sticks who doesn't want to waste time and fuel driving about the country unnecessarily (and contributing to the traffic) I do wonder why people use Ebay as a marketplace if they are dead set against providing a delivery option, surely that's what the local marketplaces like Facebook and Gumtree are all about. I get that if you live somewhere populous and you have something that is so sought after it will fly out the door you might use Ebay (though only when you have a deal on the max fees, right 🙂) but it's the biggest international shop window and people from all over use it to find stuff they can't find locally, or they may be housebound, or for other reasons might expect delivery to be an option. I use it all the time to buy stuff that I can't get in town here (1500 peeps, good food provision, inc a butcher and a chemist and 2 takeways and a garage and builders merchant) though I could drive to Welshpool or Oswestry and buy it in a shop, but that means 20+ mile round trip, which if all I need is say a pack of water filters say doesn't make sense to me. We get generally great service from the post and couriers and the music stores mostly provide a delivery service.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2022 at 07:21, Burns-bass said:

I advertised my Carlsboro valve amp on eBay with a collection only stipulation. Someone clicked the buy button, then immediately emailed me to say "I'm sorry it's not looking good for collection, but if you package up the amp I'll have Royal Mail collect it." 

When I pointed out this wasn't going to happen and that his idiocy had cost me money and wasted my time, he started getting aggressive about it.

I appreciate this is an entirely pointless post, but I just wanted to vent somewhere. Ebay idiots, eh?

It's really frustrating but not uncommon. I've been on eBay since 1997 and could write a book on some of my buying and selling experiences which were even stranger in the early years when there were no provision for photos to be posted so you were buying by description only. 

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Take a walk in my shoes - I'm in Aberdeen - there's next to no cool gear up here locally so if I see something tasty that's collection only I'll ask.  If you don't ask, you don't get.  No need to get your nose out of joint - I can read, why do you think I'm messaging to ask if you'll reconsider?  I'm not some flecking illiterate chancer, I'll have you know!

Again, I have no issue with people asking before bidding, it's the people who ask after they've won the auction that irk me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

Again, I have no issue with people asking before bidding, it's the people who ask after they've won the auction that irk me.

I know, you already said and I thank you for your openmindedness.  I didn't quote you when I wrote what you quoted...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Harsh but fair maybe?

Your mate needs to get out more. 

😄

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

As someone else in the relative sticks who doesn't want to waste time and fuel driving about the country unnecessarily (and contributing to the traffic) I do wonder why people use Ebay as a marketplace if they are dead set against providing a delivery option, surely that's what the local marketplaces like Facebook and Gumtree are all about. I get that if you live somewhere populous and you have something that is so sought after it will fly out the door you might use Ebay (though only when you have a deal on the max fees, right 🙂) but it's the biggest international shop window and people from all over use it to find stuff they can't find locally, or they may be housebound, or for other reasons might expect delivery to be an option. I use it all the time to buy stuff that I can't get in town here (1500 peeps, good food provision, inc a butcher and a chemist and 2 takeways and a garage and builders merchant) though I could drive to Welshpool or Oswestry and buy it in a shop, but that means 20+ mile round trip, which if all I need is say a pack of water filters say doesn't make sense to me. We get generally great service from the post and couriers and the music stores mostly provide a delivery service.

It's a good point. I've advertised this on the forums you suggest and was given an ebay offer, so I chose to list it there. It's a low value item. What's worse, is the guy here lives fairly close (an hour away), and as several members here would attest, I'm happy to drive out and meet people. 

In this instance, the guy read the description, knew what was happening, and ignored it which wasted my time, cost me money, and annoyed me. 

Am I petty for getting annoyed? Yes. But if the internet isn't a place for privileged white men to get angry and moan about pointless things, then what is it for?

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

I have to disagree with this. I've sold lots of stuff through eBay as collection only.

eBay has a filter that can sort by distance, it's a platform that has all types of sales on it, from delivery to collection. It's the sellers own prerogative. If you don't like collection only, then, as you have, find someone who does deliver. The platform caters for all.

I also live in the relative sticks, and be it through eBay or Basschat (or god forbid, FB marketplace *shudders*) if it's an item I really want, then I absolutely don't mind going to collect it. In fact, I prefer it, as I get to see the item and there can be very little room for surprises. I know I'm likely in the minority, but the thought of buying, for example, a high value bass, from abroad, on eBay, is anathema. I want to see the bass first when that type of money is involved. And, especially so, given eBay is populated by, in my experience, a fair few melts and chancers, (although not to the degree Gumtree and FB marketplace are).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, YouMa said:

I'm selling vinyl at the moment.Ebay fees are a greedy fosters take.

Is there a reason you've chosen eBay over Discogs to sell your vinyl? 

Regarding fees are you talking listing fees or final sales fees? If your talking listing fees then you must be doing something wrong, as I've sold thousands of items on eBay over the last 15 years and I have never paid any listing fees. Ever. As for final sales fees, you need to consider the alternatives; you could take your records to a store that sells second hand vinyl, where if you are are really lucky you'll get about a third of what the shop hopes to sell them for. Otherwise where else is there? I suppose you could do a car boot... (shudders)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I consider Moreton in Marsh a busy small town. I often ride through it on my motorcycle and am invariably frustrated by the amount of traffic there. Pretty, though.

The physical town centre itself is. Outside of it, it's rural as anything - as my car journeys back from rehearsal in Bristol, in this cold snap, have attested. Squeaky bum time!

With regards to the traffic - it's a bloody nightmare. Four, busy A-roads intersecting onto two mini roundabouts will cause that!

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

I see no problem with people not wanting to post, when they clearly state so. EBay gives you more exposure, even locally, than Gumtree etc, purely because more people use eBay. Regardless, it's the seller's choice. People have different priorities/preferences, there's little to understand.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I see no problem with people not wanting to post, when they clearly state so. EBay gives you more exposure, even locally, than Gumtree etc, purely because more people use eBay. Regardless, it's the seller's choice. People have different priorities/preferences, there's little to understand.

Definitely. I`m quite willing to drive for a meet up am not posting items like basses or guitars. If it takes me longer to sell as a result, well as the French say, c`est la vie!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

There's collection only bass down London way which is seriously calling to me.  MUST STAY STRONG.  But if you think I'm travelling all the way down to flecking London from Aberdeen for a bass that costs less than a grand, you're sorely mistaken.

There's nobody here that could snag it on your behalf (No, not me; I'm in France, but -_- ...)..? :/

Edited by Dad3353

Need to look out for eBay on this, I 'sold' a motorbike to someone that then dropped out of the sale and didn't pay. eBay still insisted on their % which was quite a lot and all I got were automated messages from them everytime I tried to explain. Then they started with threatening messages to pay up and my responses still went un-answered so I just closed the eBay account and ignored them. About 3 years Iater I got a letter from some bailifs saying their goons will be around if I don't pay up, so I pu$$ied out and paid up rather than putting any more thought or effort into it.

Also, on the 'collection only' thing, I had a Gumtree add that stated that and someone messaged asking me to take the item to a train station to meet for the sale, I said no 'collection only' (i.e. at my house) and he insisted that he would be 'collecting' from me - but at a station at a time he was suggesting. So I suppose for some people you need to spell out 'collection from my house only - at a mutually agreed time'!

Edited by SumOne

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There's nobody here that could snag it on your behalf (No, not me; I'm in France, but -_- ...)..? :/

Don't tempt me - failing the Gear Abstenence thread with 2 weeks to go would be pretty embarrassing...  If it's still available in the new year, let's you and me talk, Basschat...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Don't tempt me - failing the Gear Abstenence thread with 2 weeks to go would be pretty embarrassing...  If it's still available in the new year, let's you and me talk, Basschat...

I`m sure we can manage a 2023 relay - I`m J8 on M1 (20 miles north of London) I could get it up to the start of the M6 as part of it.

• Thanks 3

On 15/12/2022 at 11:35, Lozz196 said:

I`m sure we can manage a 2023 relay - I`m J8 on M1 (20 miles north of London) I could get it up to the start of the M6 as part of it.

I could collect from Carlisle or Berwick and get it to Edinburgh, if that would help.