Why become a member? ×

Would anyone among the BC massive say The Beatles are their fave band of all time, numero uno, creme de la creme....

Barking Spiders

Top writers of their time, such a big selection and style of songs through their time together from their first pop albums and singles through flower power, a top rhythm section and melodic playing from McCartney and Ringo. Yes they are of a certain period in music at that time but still sell and two of those ol’ boys still tour. They must be very happy to have come from very humble backgrounds and are still able to play music into their 70’s and get an audience. Not bad when you think about it!

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 22:25, Beedster said:

Funny that, when I posted above about Beatles and cultural influence on essentially white music I was thinking about Kraftwerk’ influence on early hip hop, and especially Afrka Bambaataa’s opinion that without Kraftwerk there’d have been no hip hop. 

That's a bit of a stretch.

Kraftwerk have been essential, but hip hop owns a lot to the Jamaican sound systems and djs (toasters, mc).

Dj Kool Herc had Jamaican roots afterall ;)

On 22/11/2022 at 17:11, Dad3353 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't 'get' this stuff about what other folk think of X, Y or Z. We're all different, of differing ages, from different backgrounds, and have listened to, and liked or not, different stuff over the decades. What earthly point is there in this sort of comparing, or looking in the rear-view mirror..? Maybe it's just me. :(

It's human nature to discuss likes/dislikes..does it have to have an earthly point?

A large percentage of the members of this site are doing exactly that.

• Like 1

No. But where they took popular music from, and led it too, in only 7 years was beyond belief. They not only defined the 60s musicaly but were style and fashion icons. I was lucky enough to grow up in the Beatles era and the anticipation of their next recording was palpable. They defied convention and are still relevant and influential. Probably never to ne repeated. On second thoughts, I would probably settle for their back catalogue if i was forced to chose just one band for the rest of my life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikel said:

I was lucky enough to grow up in the Beatles era and the anticipation of their next recording was palpable. 

but when you were a kid, whatever time you grew up, the anticipation of the next recording of your favourite group was palpable too - just there were more of them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

but when you were a kid, whatever time you grew up, the anticipation of the next recording of your favourite group was palpable too - just there were more of them.

I wasnt talking personaly, I meant a large proportion of the population, and other bands and musicians. Ask people my age who were not even into the Beatles, people of all ages at the time. Unlike most acts they appealed, more so at first, to all generations. Like or loath them, there influence and popularity is impossible to overstate. 

• Like 2

They're my favourite band to the extend that i even have a Beatles tattoo.

Thats not to say every song they did was sublime, as they did some pretty mediocre stuff too. However, to me personally their sense of musicality, lyrics, experimentation, musicianship, and George Martin's genius production skills combine to hit that sweet spot in my soul.

And before anyone asks, and they inevitably do when they discover I'm a Bealtes fan, George Harrison is my favourite. I have a tattoo of him as well.

If other folk don't like them then that's their business, concerns me not.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

They're my favourite band to the extend that i even have a Beatles tattoo.

Thats not to say every song they did was sublime, as they did some pretty mediocre stuff too. However, to me personally their sense of musicality, lyrics, experimentation, musicianship, and George Martin's genius production skills combine to hit that sweet spot in my soul.

And before anyone asks, and they inevitably do when they discover I'm a Bealtes fan, George Harrison is my favourite. I have a tattoo of him as well.

If other folk don't like them then that's their business, concerns me not.

Let's see the tattoos then!

10 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

OP: No. And Pet Sounds is WAY better than Sgt. Pepper.

The production and engineering on Sgt Pepper was brilliant for its time and IMO hides the fact that most of the actual songs are mediocre at best bar Lucy ITSWD and She's Leaving Home.  Like The Who and The Stones (in the 60s anyway) I'd say The Beatles were a great singles band but none of their albums are packed with quality tunes throughout. Then again, there have been relatively few albums made which most people would agree are bona fide 10/10 classics.

44 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

...Then again, there have been relatively few albums made which most people would agree are bona fide 10/10 classics.

'Most people' is a lot of people, but there's not much dross on 'Surrealistic Pillow', or 'De Capo'. Magma produced some splendid stuff at the time (and since...), too. :friends:

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

The production and engineering on Sgt Pepper was brilliant for its time and IMO hides the fact that most of the actual songs are mediocre at best bar Lucy ITSWD and She's Leaving Home.  Like The Who and The Stones (in the 60s anyway) I'd say The Beatles were a great singles band but none of their albums are packed with quality tunes throughout. Then again, there have been relatively few albums made which most people would agree are bona fide 10/10 classics.

I would argue Rubber Soul and Revolver are packed with great songs, and a lot of Beatles singles were not on albums as they wrote so many. Also they gave away a number of songs to other artists. But we are getting into semantics. Oh, and Close to the Edge is for me 11 out of 10. So there.

• Like 1

Nope, I don’t own any of their stuff at all. I know some of it and it’s ok, but never had any meaning for me growing up from the 70s to the 90s. I am sure it influenced some of the stuff I listen to but that’s about it.

Edited by T-Bay