Why become a member? ×

Would anyone among the BC massive say The Beatles are their fave band of all time, numero uno, creme de la creme....

Barking Spiders

On 22/11/2022 at 21:14, Beedster said:

Not Steps then?

On 22/11/2022 at 21:57, Cosmo Valdemar said:

They're top 5.

On 23/11/2022 at 16:06, Nicko said:

I'm assuming S Club are at 7?

No, Steps are 5,6,7 & 8.😉

The beatles phenomenon was over before my musical journey started, so meant nothing to me. I obviously heard all the mop top stuff as it was repeated on the radio but really didn't like the tweeness of it all. 

The biggest problem I have is that I really don't like Lennon and McCartney's voices, so even when I hear things like Helter Skelter, which musically I like, I don't enjoy the singing. What's the point in trying to delve deeper into a bands catalogue if you don't like their singing. 

Maybe it's just the repressed rebel in me subconsciously refusing to like them as I really like things like UK Renegades cover of Bill Haley's Thirteen Women which obviously influenced by The Beatles. 

No denying their influence but it's not for me. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Roxy, Bowie, Bolan, Philly Soul and then later Punk....I I hated the Beatles in the 70's when I was a teen...They sounded so old fashioned and really naff. 50 odd years later they sound like fine wine (what ever that is haha), and I include each members solo careers too. Its the way it goes I guess. Awesome music...Even their early pop stuff now sounds incredibly well written.

Not a fan of The Beatles, I find their music a bit safe, cheesy, poppy and clean. I admit they had some great songs but they do nothing for me. A lot of 60's music, especially British 60's popular music I can't abide as it's just too clean and cheesy. I guess I'm not a fan of the sound. Being born in 1970 means I grew up listening to music from the late 70's onwards. However, I adore The Doors, and songs like Light My Fire, Break on Through, The End, When The Music's Over, Five To One, that's my band of the 60's although their best songs came in 1970 in the form of Riders on the Storm and LA Woman.

• 2 weeks later...

Very, very possibly. 

I haven't thought about who's my favourite band for years, but I find myself listening to them more now than I ever did, more than all the other bands I once classed as favourites. 

The only other band in contention at the moment are Half Man Half Biscuit, but I can still go and see them and they release a superb new album every couple of years. 

On 13/02/2023 at 00:01, Woodinblack said:

Me too

Me three. IMHO his talent developed to make him utimately both a better musician and songwriter than the usual pair. I also believe that as he aged and matured and shook off some of the impulsive behaviour of yoof he became a far nicer human being than them as well.

I'm an enormous Harrison fan and rate him up with my other idols (Neil Armstrong and General Patton). Indeed, have been considering another George Harrison tattoo to go with my beatles inking.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

When i was very, very young in the 60's YES.

My first ever single was The Beatles at age 3-4 yrs old All My Loving EP (I still have it)

I went thru so many different types of music over the years but last year i decided to listen to some of my Wife's Beatles albums and thoroughly enjoyed them and then the movie about the young guy that sings the Beatles songs when no-one else knows them came on TV earlier this year and again i thoroughly enjoyed them.

My fav band of all time.......NO but they were great in their own time like so many other bands that have faded into a bit of obscurity to the younger generation.

That's life as we know it 👍

I would have to say the fact you are now talking about them on BC does highlight the impact they had on music.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nilorius said:

My dad is 72 years old and all the time his #1 band is Beatles, but i am 40 and never heard him listen to them.

I'm now past 72, and never play Beatles stuff much at all. I remember distinctly, though, the effect they had at the time, and often hum, sing or think of their songs (just this morning, for example, singing in my head 'I'm looking through you'...). I don't need to play 'em to get that effect any more; in fact it may well spoil things. Memories and nostalgia are precious gifts, to be preserved. Wishing your Dad a long and healthy life. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, nilorius said:

My dad is 72 years old and all the time his #1 band is Beatles, but i am 40 and never heard him listen to them.

12 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm now past 72, and never play Beatles stuff much at all. I remember distinctly, though, the effect they had at the time, and often hum, sing or think of their songs (just this morning, for example, singing in my head 'I'm looking through you'...). I don't need to play 'em to get that effect any more; in fact it may well spoil things. Memories and nostalgia are precious gifts, to be preserved. Wishing your Dad a long and healthy life. :friends:

I'm heading that way, although I don't deliberately play Beatles songs they occasionally get played on on my mp3 player, which is on shuffle, or on an oldies radio station I sometimes have on, I'm always enjoy them when they do

A tale which will make you smile.

My FiL is 76, a lovely old feller. As a young lad in the 60's he was a Beatles fan and begged his Dad for a pair of Chelsea boots like the Beatles wore.

His Dad, through ignorance of mischief, gave him a set of heavy workman's boots instead.  Not exactly the same thing.

Anyway, being a Beatles man myself he regaled me with this tale so for his last birthday we smashed out a few hundred quid and bought him a really nice pair of Chelsea boots. He was chuffed to bits and appears not to have taken them off yet, probably even wears them to bed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

A tale which will make you smile.

My FiL is 76, a lovely old feller. As a young lad in the 60's he was a Beatles fan and begged his Dad for a pair of Chelsea boots like the Beatles wore.

His Dad, through ignorance of mischief, gave him a set of heavy workman's boots instead.  Not exactly the same thing.

Anyway, being a Beatles man myself he regaled me with this tale so for his last birthday we smashed out a few hundred quid and bought him a really nice pair of Chelsea boots. He was chuffed to bits and appears not to have taken them off yet, probably even wears them to bed.

Blimey that's an expensive pair of boots! 

.. A lovely present tho.. 👍

• Like 1

On 12/02/2023 at 22:26, Rusty Spanner said:

The only other band in contention at the moment are Half Man Half Biscuit, but I can still go and see them and they release a superb new album every couple of years. 

HMHB are the band the Beatles could only have dreamed of being. Neither Lennon, McCartney nor Harrison have come up with anything as great as Joy Division Oven Gloves, All I Want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit, I Left My Heart in Papworth General, Deep House Victims Minibus Appeal and 13 Eurogoths Floating in The Dead Sea. I rest my case m'lud.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

HMHB are the band the Beatles could only have dreamed of being. Neither Lennon, McCartney nor Harrison have come up with anything as great as Joy Division Oven Gloves, All I Want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit, I Left My Heart in Papworth General, Deep House Victims Minibus Appeal and 13 Eurogoths Floating in The Dead Sea. I rest my case m'lud.

Or, depending on your perspective, you've just proven the case in favour of the Beatles.

And that's the nice thin about music being a broad church - we're all right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1