Why become a member? ×

Things I'd like manufacturers to do...

la bam

22 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Anyone ... Make a reliable, small (DG M200 sized), affordable, loud poweramp.  Something that's small enough to sit on a board.  Just a power switch, a line in, a Speakon speaker output and a big feck-off volume/gain knob.  If you want to get all fancy, a 9v/18v output as well.

Is the GPA-100 not loud enough to meet this spec? Apart from the Speakon that is. 

Amp heads should definitely have a 9v power output though. 

5 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Late to the party but this is going to be easy and probably sound a bit like a stuck record 😁

Fender: Make a standard US Jazz and Precision with an unlined fretless neck. Ideally an Ebony board but Rosewood is fine as long as its unlined then that'll do.

Fender: Make an American Vintage or Japanese FSR Precision with an unlined fretless neck based on your original 70's and first fretless bass. Even better if you made two, one with a maple fretless neck and another with a rosewood fretless neck.

Musicman: Make an EB SR4 with an unlined fretless neck. Even better if you offered a choice of board woods.

Ibanez: Make a Japanese SR with an unlined fretless neck. Even better if it's pretty with fancy woods and finishes.

Ibanez: Make a modern day version of the Ibanez Musician with an unlined fretless neck.

Yamaha: Just make a fretless bass god dammit and make it mid to high end with an unlined fretless neck.

Other: Someone make me a pedal so that I sound like a cello, with the option to have lots of reverb or delay for long sustained notes and also octave so I sound like an orchestra 😁

I had one of those early unlined P basses with a maple neck…great bass!

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 09:19, Barking Spiders said:

As well as being one of the worst bands ever, to me KISS stand for everything that's rank about crass, unfettered consumerism on this planet. Gene Simmons is a colossal t0$$3r. I can objectively see one or two merits in most bands I can't stand but not KISS.

One for the kids wasn't it.

As the old quote goes:

"If you were a twelve year old boy and you weren't obsessed with KISS, there was probably something wrong with you. If you are over the age of twenty years old and still obsessed with KISS, there is probably something wrong with you."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I get the feeling you want an unlined fretless. Maybe santa will be good to you :santa2:

Dave 😂

I actually have four already, a Musicman Stingray SR4 with Pau Ferro unlined board, a Japanese Fender Precision with unlined rosewood board, a 62 Japanese RI Fender Jazz with unlined ebony board and a Fender FSR Precision with unlined maple ebony board. The Stingray and Japanese Precision's are new to me but it's taken an age to find them. The Jazz and Precision with maple neck I had to get Jon Shuker to make me fretless necks for as its just impossible to buy off the shelf. All of my fretless basses are second hand or with custom made necks. Thus my post about wanting to be able to buy new 😁

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've never played fretless so excuse my ignorance. What's wrong with lines?

Absolutely nothing, it's just a personal preference and what individuals prefer or are used to. I've always played an unlined fretless and find playing lined much harder. I know where to fret on my unlined necks but with lines you have a target to aim for which I personally find distracting. It's a bit like writing on lined paper and having to conciously write exactly on the lines with every word or letter. I used to have a fretted 75 Jazz bass with blocks and bindings but I eventually found them so distracting from mostly playing an unlined fretless neck that I had to sell it.

• Like 1

Multi-FX units/modellers - put in a ‘monitor input’ on XLR (preferrably stereo) to receive a mix from front-of-house that we can blend into our earphones or speaker. In these days of IEMs you can’t call it an ‘all-in one solution’ until it can do that!

The larger Helix etc can do it, but it should be becoming standard by now, and not by repurposing return inputs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I've never played fretless so excuse my ignorance. What's wrong with lines?

Here's a very interesting video on the lined/unlined debate I saw recently. I rarely play fretless, and haven't owned one for years, but I always naturally went to lined. More accurate, surely? Maybe not...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Here's a very interesting video on the lined/unlined debate I saw recently. I rarely play fretless, and haven't owned one for years, but I always naturally went to lined. More accurate, surely? Maybe not...

Does actually make perfect sense, on my fretless basses, I have to play certain notes in certain places which to the eye look wrong but are in fact in tune.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

A cure for neck dive comprised of a helium balloon that suspends the head-stock by string. And you can have anyone's face that you desire printed onto the balloon.

Ah, but would the Gibson balloon be any better than the Epiphone balloon?

11 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Does actually make perfect sense, on my fretless basses, I have to play certain notes in certain places which to the eye look wrong but are in fact in tune.

Got to agree. I currently play a lined fretless, but the fret lines just get you in the ballpark. Your main tuning tool is still your ears. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I actually have four already, a Musicman Stingray SR4 with Pau Ferro unlined board, a Japanese Fender Precision with unlined rosewood board, a 62 Japanese RI Fender Jazz with unlined ebony board and a Fender FSR Precision with unlined maple ebony board. The Stingray and Japanese Precision's are new to me but it's taken an age to find them. The Jazz and Precision with maple neck I had to get Jon Shuker to make me fretless necks for as its just impossible to buy off the shelf. All of my fretless basses are second hand or with custom made necks. Thus my post about wanting to be able to buy new 😁

Nice collection of fretless basses. Post a pic of them for us.

I like having a fretless in the house but i've never really managed to master the fretless but i keep trying. I have my Overwater custom fretless 6er which is nice.

Over the years i've had P fretless (unlined 1980), WAL (lined 1982), Jaydee (unlined 2015), Overwater 6er fretless (unlined 2000) and an old Yamaha BX-1 i removed the frets 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice collection of fretless basses. Post a pic of them for us.

I like having a fretless in the house but i've never really managed to master the fretless but i keep trying. I have my Overwater custom fretless 6er which is nice.

Over the years i've had P freless (unlined 1980), WAL (lined 1982), Jaydee (unlined 2015), Overwater 6er fretless (unlined 2000) and an old Yamaha BX-1 i removed the frets 

Dave

I need to do a photo of all of them together and the sunburst Precision now has a black scratch plate but here you go. Top one is a Mexican Fender FSR 70's Precision with custom Jon Shuker fretless maple neck. As standard it comes with US Vintage pickups and all the pots etc. have been upgraded. It's strung with chromes and it sounds and plays amazing. The middle one is a Japanese ESP 400 series 62RI Jazz bass that is from 86/87. It's was made at the Japanese Fender factory and all the dimensions and fittings are interchangeable with Fender so basically it could of come off the production line as a Fender or ESP. It has a Jon Shuker fretless ebony board and Bartolimi pickups. The best bass I have ever owned and I would buy another in a heartbeat. The bottom one is an EB Stingray with fretless Pau Ferro neck and the last one is a Japanese 62RI Precision that I picked up last month.

You've had some awesome fretless basses yourself, especially the Wal 😮

IMG_3366.thumb.jpg.6621b29209c7de2dc3811a81306741c0.jpg

20221120_101536.thumb.jpg.8bef42a3914dc837b2c5c2ad90da85ef.jpg

Edited by Linus27
Added photos
  • Like 5