Why become a member? ×

Lindsey Buckingham

bubinga5

35 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

He is a huge talent, but sorry, Peter Green made Fleetwood Mac.

Two different bands really, just the same name. The Future Games line up was a very different sounding band too. F Mac are a band that has truly evolved but, seemingly (I’m probably way off base here, however), nothing to do with the original 2 members still remaining.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Two different bands really, just the same name. The Future Games line up was a very different sounding band too. F Mac are a band that has truly evolved but, seemingly (I’m probably way off base here, however), nothing to do with the original 2 members still remaining.

Absolutely - to most people it is all about Buckingham and Nicks (even when Christine McVie was singing). The two originals were just the happy accident of a name being written on a tape box in the studio.

• Like 1

I just treat Green era and Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac as completely different bands. I enjoy both. 

However, I like watching retrospective documentaries on the band more than I do like listening to the music. The infighting, internal affairs, membership changes, mental illnesses, massive drug binges, joining of cults, fallouts, songwriting and royalty clashes and general willingness of members to air dirty laundry in public is fascinating viewing. 

As a purely technical guitarist however, I consider Buckingham to be one of the more unsung guitar heroes of the 1970s and 1980s. A phenomenal talent and great songwriter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thodrik said:

As a purely technical guitarist however, I consider Buckingham to be one of the more unsung guitar heroes of the 1970s and 1980s. A phenomenal talent and great songwriter.

1 minute ago, Crusoe said:

He really is a very good guitarist.

Very overlooked when folk talk of great guitar players. He has a very unique style of playing.

Nowt to do with LB but I've always found it peculiar if not perverse that the band is named after the journeymen players in the rhythm section who had nowt to do with the songwriting in either of the band's guises. Also why did they stick with that name in the 70s -80s incarnation when all the material was written by the new members? Any insight? 

On 06/11/2022 at 13:45, Mykesbass said:

Absolutely - to most people it is all about Buckingham and Nicks (even when Christine McVie was singing). The two originals were just the happy accident of a name being written on a tape box in the studio.

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Nowt to do with LB but I've always found it peculiar if not perverse that the band is named after the journeymen players in the rhythm section who had nowt to do with the songwriting in either of the band's guises. Also why did they stick with that name in the 70s -80s incarnation when all the material was written by the new members? Any insight? 

@Barking Spiderssee above for the first question. The tape box in question was from a jam session they did during a John Mayall recording when McVie, Fleetwood and Green were in the Bluesbreakers. Can't answer the second.

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Can't answer the second.

Peter Green didn't want to be the focus of attention in the band. It wasn't his intention to front a band . He just wanted to be in a band, so he called it after his two mates in the rhythm section. That's also why he got Danny Kirwan in, to take some of the spotlight.

Edited by chris_b

10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Also why did they stick with that name in the 70s -80s incarnation when all the material was written by the new members? Any insight? 

All the material wasn't written by the new members. Christine McVie was also writing songs.

They joined an existing band so they kept the name. Sounds pretty logical to me.

Then, before there could be any "take over" they had a massive hit album and the name was fixed forever. 

21 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Peter Green didn't want to be the focus of attention in the band. It wasn't his intention to front a band . He just wanted to be in a band, so he called it after his two mates in the rhythm section. That's also why he got Danny Kirwan in, to take some of the spotlight.

It was originally the track he called Fleetwood Mac. But yes, Peter hated the limelight, especially in the later years. Which is a great shame as he still had a great talent which just needed the right setting to blossom. Both me and @mybasscan attest to the sad fact that the right setting wasn't what he got.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2022 at 16:36, thodrik said:

I just treat Green era and Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac as completely different bands. I enjoy both. 

However, I like watching retrospective documentaries on the band more than I do like listening to the music. The infighting, internal affairs, membership changes, mental illnesses, massive drug binges, joining of cults, fallouts, songwriting and royalty clashes and general willingness of members to air dirty laundry in public is fascinating viewing. 

And Danny Kirwan.

On 07/11/2022 at 16:36, thodrik said:

He was.

Unfortunately he was also a massive PIA, which will probably be remembered for as long as the good stuff.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

He was.

Unfortunately he was also a massive PIA, which will probably be remembered for as long as the good stuff.

True, though that era was full of artists who were considered to be a massive PIA. However, for me Fleetwood Mac can only be appreciated alongside the knowledge of how dysfunctional the band actually were. For me it is part of the charm.

15 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Because, as FM,  they were making a steady living on the US college circuit.

Had they changed their name at any point up to, and including, the Buckingham Nicks era, they would have had to start back at square one.

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

The original band was billed as Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac… and at one point did t even have Mac in the ranks!

Funny how things turn out…

11 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

The original band was billed as Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac… and at one point did t even have Mac in the ranks!

That was probably a promoter cashing in on the name.

When John McVie wouldn't leave John Mayall, Peter Green decided to put an ad in Melody Maker, which I answered. I believe I was the first person to audition. I was 17, still at school and wasn't half as good as I thought I was! Peter Green's mum would have played better than I did that day. Bob Brunning got the gig on the understanding that McVie would replace him if he ever changed his mind, which he did 3 months later.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, chris_b said:

That was probably a promoter cashing in on the name.

When John McVie wouldn't leave John Mayall, Peter Green decided to put an ad in Melody Maker, which I answered. I believe I was the first person to audition. I was 17, still at school and wasn't half as good as I thought I was! Peter Green's mum would have played better than I did that day. Bob Brunning got the gig on the understanding that McVie would replace him if he ever changed his mind, which he did 3 months later.

That's an interesting piece of personal history- thanks!

I can now rank you among my ‘nearly famous’ pals👏