Why become a member? ×

If I want to remove a sticker from a bass

MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='468033' date='Apr 21 2009, 01:48 AM']I'm thinking of putting a sticker on my bass, but was wondering is there anything I can do to the sticker, so that removing it will be easier - should I choose to do so a couple of years down the line?

ta. :)[/quote]
I have just had to do this. I bought a Sandberg recently that some tosser had put a really large Steinlager sticker on the back. Carefully used a hairdryer to get it off and then used one of the "stain removers" for sticky stuff. Perfect now.
One thing to bear in mind is that some stickers have an adhesive that "eats" into the finish. You could end up removing the sticker but haveing the outline etched into the bass.
I was lucky.....

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='468095' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:07 AM']Don't do it! :)[/quote]

[quote name='neepheid' post='468123' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:40 AM']Stickers == Bzzzt! Wrong.

IMHO[/quote]

The guy didn't ask "should I put a sticker on my bass." He asked "how do I remove a sticker from my bass." If he wanted opinions on whether he should put it on or not, I'm sure he would have asked for them.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='468127' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:42 AM']The guy didn't ask "should I put a sticker on my bass." He asked "how do I remove a sticker from my bass." If he wanted opinions on whether he should put it on or not, I'm sure he would have asked for them.

S.P.[/quote]

The question becomes irrelevant if you don't do it in the first place.

There's always lighter fluid - it will soften up any sticky residue. That's if you don't lift the finish when you peel the sticker off.

Like so.

Heat it gently with a hairdryer, this will soften the glue and it should peel off easily. Any remaining sticky residue (ooer mrs, etc) will come off easily with some acetone (nail varnish remover, ladies!), which won't damage the finish.

For example (excuse the g*it*r!), from this:

[attachment=24171:bodyresize.jpg]

to this:

[attachment=24172:front2.jpg]

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='BigRedX' post='468158' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:08 AM']Bassassins method will always work for removing stickers provided that [b]THE ADHESIVE HASN'T ATTACKED THE FINISH[/b]. This is the thing you have to watch not the issue with getting the sticker off again.[/quote]

It depends how badly the finish has been attacked. It it's just the very surface, you'll be able to give it a light sanding through the grades and then go through the polishing process to get it back to a shiny new looking finish. This won't help if it's discoloured the finish though :)

Stickers that have been on for a while (in the case of that Tele, about 25 years!) will often leave a "ghost" mark where the lacquer's darkened around it - there's nothing, bar a complete refin, that can be done about this, but it's unlikely to be an issue with a sticker that's only been on for a year or two. I've never yet encountered a finish that's been attacked by adhesive, but I'd think slight damage could probably be polished out with T-cut or a similar mild abrasive polishing compound.

Fortunately the tat I usually find myself cleaning up is invariably finished in bullet-proof poly, which will take a lot of abuse and is usually really easy to get looking good again. I think I'd be a lot more cautious with my approach & methods if it was a nitro or similar delicate finish.

While we're talking about stickers - if you buy a stickered-up bass off Ebay (or gods forbid, on here!) and the seller offers to remove them before posting - DON'T LET THEM!!! Unless you want to have to deal with the aftermath of a surface having apparently been attacked with steel wool & a cold chisel. I still wake up sweating...

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='468141' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:54 AM']Any remaining sticky residue (ooer mrs, etc) will come off easily with some acetone (nail varnish remover, ladies!), which won't damage the finish.[/quote]

Actually I'd be very careful with acetone - it's one of the more aggressive solvents around, and will dissolve some plastics. It's actually used to glue perspex.
IPA (isopropyl alcohol) is a much more benign solvent but will still shift most residues.
I have also found that WD40 is very good as a residue solvent without damaging the paint.
Some of the orange smelling label removers are very good, but they can affect some plastics - for example it can 'fog' the clear plastic of a CD case.

As they say 'Always test on a small unobtrusive patch before use'

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='468275' date='Apr 21 2009, 11:44 AM']Actually I'd be very careful with acetone - it's one of the more aggressive solvents around, and will dissolve some plastics.[/quote]
Actually - good point. Nail-varnish remover is very diluted (with pink scented stuff, usually) and a lot less vicious than pure acetone - which can be lots of fun with expanded polystyrene and naked flames... Don't try it at home! :ph34r:

J.

[quote name='neepheid' post='468129' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:45 AM']The question becomes irrelevant if you don't do it in the first place.

There's always lighter fluid - it will soften up any sticky residue. That's if you don't lift the finish when you peel the sticker off.

Like so.[/quote]
I think i just died a little inside... :)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='470342' date='Apr 23 2009, 04:33 AM']so is there a product I can apply to the bass, which the sticker will stick to, but will not harm the finish?[/quote]

In my experience, Gaffa tape will be okay. Now as we all know Gaffa will leave a sticky residue, but I've found it easy enough to remove (with tiny amounts of paint thinner in my case).

How do I know this? In 1984 I bought what turned out to be a '68 4001S in fireglo - only I didn't like fireglo, so I covered the whole thing head to foot with small strips of gaffa. :) This remained on until about 6 months ago, and has cleaned up without any kind of mark or blemish. Fairly easily as well.

[quote name='Musky' post='470405' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:25 AM']In my experience, Gaffa tape will be okay. Now as we all know Gaffa will leave a sticky residue, but I've found it easy enough to remove (with tiny amounts of paint thinner in my case).

How do I know this? In 1984 I bought what turned out to be a '68 4001S in fireglo - only I didn't like fireglo, so I covered the whole thing head to foot with small strips of gaffa. :rolleyes: This remained on until about 6 months ago, and has cleaned up without any kind of mark or blemish. Fairly easily as well.[/quote]

Sticker on Gaffa, Gaffa on bass? Could be an option, thanks. :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='471235' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:12 AM']haven't got one.[/quote]

Then you're buggered.

Or you could make one out of clear plastic and put the sticker on that.

Hey Presto - a twofer solution. No need to thank me.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='471459' date='Apr 24 2009, 01:04 PM']Then you're buggered.

Or you could make one out of clear plastic and put the sticker on that.

Hey Presto - a twofer solution. No need to thank me.[/quote]

like the idea, but it would mean holes to screw the plate to the bass.