Why become a member? ×

Roxy Music - the Spinal Tap for bassists

Clarky

I went with Mrs C to see the Roxy Music 50th Anniversary gig at O2 last night.  She is a mega-fan from the 70s, I know much less about them (they were never really my cup of tea back in the day) and so I did some googling beforehand. Obvs I checked their bassists (duh!), only to discover 4 have passed away. How very Spinal Tap

I was there on Wednesday in Manchester - the sound was extraordinarily good (where I was anyway) in a venue that is notorious for dreadful acoustics.  There'd clearly been much thought and preparation applied to the engineering, and the band/team managed to pull-off some of the production quality of the later albums.  Quite staggering really.  A band that has included (and very sadly lost) a number of brilliant bass-players.  My personal favourite was probably Alan Spenner, though the session player on the current tour recreated some of his lines pretty-much flawlessly (to my delight... and not insignificant envy). 

Agree, very polished performance and tremendous sound (esp for the O2). I enjoyed the early/ mid 1970s output (esp Do the Strand, Re-make/ Re-model, Virginia Plain, Every home a heartache being the highlight for me) but I'm afraid the Avalon/Jealous Guy/Dance away etc 'soft rock' leaves me cold

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Got the studio version by Manzanera, and it's superb, but i thought Eno was the only Roxy muso on 801 , either live or studio ?

801 Live is Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno with Lloyd Watson, Francis Monkman, Bill MacCormick, Simon Phillips.

Well worth a listen if you haven't heard it

• Like 5

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

801 Live is Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno with Lloyd Watson, Francis Monkman, Bill MacCormick, Simon Phillips.

Well worth a listen if you haven't heard it

Got the studio CD, had if for  decades  :) 

Studion version is called  Liston Now, and came out in '77, a year after 801 Live - brilliant, but AFAIK Eno is the only original Roxy member, so it's not just a Roxy album minus Ferry

manzanera.JPG.0ba4700fbfda73ec7bc395eb3aff7123.JPG

426217594_manzanera2.JPG.fd9c5329d51f22deca681bf67ad6d3f2.JPG

Edited by fleabag