Why become a member? ×

Precision bass options

SteveXFR

6 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

That G&L headstock is completely unacceptable 

I hear you and agree; the CLF Series has acceptable head stock but no 'P' Models

Bad time to be buying anything; Used sellers are just tacking on recent heavy price jumps on new product to their used gear for sale.

MusicMan Cutlass would be my choice for 'non' Fender P but will bust your budget by a few hundred; Should be able to find a nice 2012-2016 Fender American Standard in your range

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I like the G&L headstock.  Bloody moaners complaining about a wee pointy bit.  You're wrong.  Fight me :D

I've got your back on this.

I really like the headstocks and can't see what all the fuss is about. If it comes to a fight we can use the headstocks like a pointed stick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I should have mentioned I have already got a Squier affinity P bass. I like the neck and string spacing.

I would check the neck profile and nut width and look for something similar in the Fender line. Personally I don't think US is worth the premium over Mexican - if it absolutely HAS to have a Fender sticker.  I play a Squier 70s CV - I sold my US made precision because it didn't sound or play any better, but then that was the lowest prices US and the Squier is the higher end of their range.  I chose the CV over a Mex Nate Mendel because it felt better although the Nate did look better, and generally I prefer RW necks. 

7 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I've got your back on this.

I really like the headstocks and can't see what all the fuss is about. If it comes to a fight we can use the headstocks like a pointed stick!

I have been told the pointy bit is Leo extending his middle finger…

• Haha 1

For what is worth, I had never owned a P Bass but got the itch for one a while ago. I considered a lot of P Basses and ended up with a 'Crafted in Japan' from 2006.

It seemed the best mix of quality and value: 3.9kg, well balanced, everything feels as good quality as most of the USA versions I tried while being a bit lighter and cheaper than most of them. 

Edited by SumOne

49 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That is good value but (this may be controversial) I don't like the burst with tort pickguard. It's a bit too motown looking for a doomy punky noisy old bastard 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

That is good value but (this may be controversial) I don't like the burst with tort pickguard. It's a bit too motown looking for a doomy punky noisy old bastard 

If you want a more aggy PBass then you could pick up an older SB1.......?

image.png.9902dbcd8873b8c15ea2529d26fc4089.png

Or just whack some EMG GZRs in whatever PBass you pick up. I think they're based on Geezer's 70s PBass pups, so are a bit more toppy.

27 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

If you want a more aggy PBass then you could pick up an older SB1.......?

image.png.9902dbcd8873b8c15ea2529d26fc4089.png

Or just whack some EMG GZRs in whatever PBass you pick up. I think they're based on Geezer's 70s PBass pups, so are a bit more toppy.

I do like a bit of Red Fang, his bass tone is just what I want 

21 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Same here, Aaron's tone is pretty gnarly. Get yourself a Sunn Beta bass pre along with your new bass and you're there!

Not sure I can stretch to the preamp as well.  I've got a LeBass preamp which is fairly nasty, that'll have to do

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

Not sure I can stretch to the preamp as well.  I've got a LeBass preamp which is fairly nasty, that'll have to do

I've heard good things about the LeBass!

It'd be a bit excessive to get another pre if you're happy with the LeBass, but you could get a MiM, set of GZRs and a preamp for £800ish?

5 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I've heard good things about the LeBass!

It'd be a bit excessive to get another pre if you're happy with the LeBass, but you could get a MiM, set of GZRs and a preamp for £800ish?

Or any old P bass and put G&L MFD split in there for an SB-1 wannabe with an acceptable headstock? ;)

• Like 1

If it’s the look and tone of a P bass you’re looking for carry on, but if it’s just the tone and you fancy being a bit different, a JMJ Mustang is a great option with its custom Seymour Duncan pickup and fab neck. Add a pick for a proper gnarly tone with great fundamental.

14 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

IMAG0159.thumb.jpg.ac4c35b4cb936de352459fdf7351f0cf.jpgThe Chinese 70s Classic Vibes punch well above their weight. I love mine and I reckon you may find one relatively cheaply if you look. There are gonna be better basses around obviously, but you could pocket a shed load of change and still have a cracker.

That is the one I have - good for the money, and I don't really care that it says Squier on the headstock.  Shame they only make it in black though.

• Like 1

I think if I was looking for a P, wanting it to be at the rock end of its bijou spectrum, and wasn't needing to fret about dimensions, I would get a Roger Waters, a nicely out of fashion lump of wood going for OK prices and having a good reputation for quality. And then add a Dimarzio Model P and some heavyish steel strings. 

As someone with both a P and an SB-1, I would not recommend the latter to someone looking for a P - the slight differences are enough to take it away from the P's classic character (which is why I wanted one)