Why become a member? ×

Nu metal is back?

SteveXFR

I'm a big metal fan, I love just about anything heavy but I keep reading thar nu metal is coming back and that to me was a low point in metal. I have never heard anyone say they miss Limp Bizkit or Crazy Town or Papa Roach. The few good bands to come out of the genre have moved on to something completely different now.

There must have been some good stuff so where's the good bands I must have missed? Is anyone still playing old Korn or Limp Bizkit covers?

20 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm a big metal fan, I love just about anything heavy but I keep reading thar nu metal is coming back and that to me was a low point in metal. I have never heard anyone say they miss Limp Bizkit or Crazy Town or Papa Roach. The few good bands to come out of the genre have moved on to something completely different now.

There must have been some good stuff so where's the good bands I must have missed? Is anyone still playing old Korn or Limp Bizkit covers?

It was a bleak time and so over hyped at the time. Hopefully, this is just a case of the music media stoking a fire because of a ‘slow news day’.

18 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It was a bleak time and so over hyped at the time. Hopefully, this is just a case of the music media stoking a fire because of a ‘slow news day’.

I hope so. Nu metal was a bit of a creativity draught, there were about 500 songs all using the same two note riff.

• Like 1

Nu-metal was a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, and still is to be honest. Part of it is to do with fond memories as I was very young when it took off, and it acted as a gateway to other genres for me. I can understand why it’s not other people’s cup of tea though. System of a Down are one of my favourite bands and they were (are?) part of part of the nu-metal ‘scene’.

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

5 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Nu metal will become as popular as it was - not popular.

It was definitely popular but it was a bad time for rock music in general. Grunge was finished, rap and techno were huge. Cheesy pop and especially 80's cheesy pop were enormous. 

I blame Fear Factory and Body Count, smash those two together and you've got every nu metal song.

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Spose these sort of count as nu-metal... I liked 'em!

I think that was far too early for nu metal plus I don't think any of them have come out as proud boys in the last few years which seems to be a nu metal thing. 

8 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Never mind just being a low point in metal, it's one of the lowest points in music ever. I still have a soft spot for the occasional Limp Bizkit track but the rest of the scene was utter pants and in the UK we never exposed to the worst of it on national radio.  Unfortunately, MTV gave way too much broadcast time to some truly terrible bands. I'm not a metal  / hard rock fan and not being too hung up on sub-sub genres I lump together the likes of Korn, Creed, Staind, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Evanscence, Godsmack, Shinedown, Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Taking Back Sunday, Daughtry and Audioslave and SOAD.  I'm only able able to name these as my mrs and her offspring all like this kinda thing.  I even had to see some of these at Download, which was a very tough day for me. God forbid we ever see a resurgence of this stuff.

Edited by Barking Spiders

48 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Never mind just being a low point in metal, it's one of the lowest points in music ever. I still have a soft spot for the occasional Limp Bizkit track but the rest of the scene was utter pants and in the UK we never exposed to the worst of it on national radio.  Unfortunately, MTV gave way too much broadcast time to some truly terrible bands. I'm not a metal  / hard rock fan and not being too hung up on sub-sub genres I lump together the likes of Korn, Creed, Staind, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Evanscence, Godsmack, Shinedown, Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Taking Back Sunday, Daughtry and Audioslave and SOAD.  I'm only able able to name these as my mrs and her offspring all like this kinda thing.  I even had to see some of these at Download, which was a very tough day for me. God forbid we ever see a resurgence of this stuff.

Apart from Audioslave and SOAD, all of those are awful. 

I'm no fan of the offspring but they were pop punk not metal. 

• Like 1

I always thought that it never really went away, especially in the US.

I don’t consider nu metal to be any worse than other genre periods I didn’t like. 

For example, I would rather listen to Taproot or Spineshank than Winger or Cinderella from the 80s. 

Edited by thodrik

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Never really thought of SOAD as nu metal 🤔

They weren't, really. Bands always get pigeonholed into popular genres. Like Deftones at the same time.

The same happened with grunge a few years earlier.

And, getting a bit meta, The Stranglers getting lumped in with Punk!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the time Nu Metal was popular, my brother once responded to my criticism of it by saying "I think it sucks too, but on the other hand, and for what it's worth, bands like Korn are the only thing keeping metal alive right now."

“For what it’s worth “ was indeed a good question .

My only other comment is psychic,  since it hasn't been said yet... I don't think it's fair to blame Faith No More for Nu Metal, that's something like blaming Gil Scott Heron for Vanilla Ice. Or if that reference is too obscure, maybe you'd prefer.... blaming Black Sabbath for Marilyn Manson....blaming the Ramones for Green Day....blaming Herbie Hancock for Herbie Hancock - wait, I may need to check my math on that last one. 

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

If you are lumping together SOAD with Creed you really shouldn't be authorized to discuss this subject. You're basically lumping together any rock band to come out in the 90s. Actually on second thought, if you take SOAD out and maybe Audioslave we could let the rest slide.

Edited by Buckminster Emptier

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

How can you talk stinky poo about the scene but say you have a soft spot for Limp Biscuit, thats like the epitome of the genre and the very worst of it all. That's hilarious, that's like saying you don't mind taking heroin once in a while but you can't stand people who  take drugs. Haha.. I'm not trying to be a Richard but come on ; let's have at least a little self awareness when we are criticizing.

1 hour ago, Buckminster Emptier said:

How can you talk stinky poo about the scene but say you have a soft spot for Limp Biscuit, thats like the epitome of the genre and the very worst of it all. That's hilarious, that's like saying you don't mind taking heroin once in a while but you can't stand people who  take drugs. Haha.. I'm not trying to be a Richard but come on ; let's have at least a little self awareness when we are criticizing.

Don't be daft. You can have disdain for a particular musical style but still appreciate the odd song.

1 hour ago, Buckminster Emptier said:

Actually, looking at your other posts on here suggests you might be trolling. You called the members of Talkbass 'buttholes' - perhaps it was just your confrontational manner that rubbed them up the wrong way?

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Don't be daft. You can have disdain for a particular musical style but still appreciate the odd song.

From Limp  Biscuit though? 

Names all the bands who aren't Nu Metal as the example of why it sucks, then picks the epitome of new metal and give it a pass. That's all I'm saying. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Actually, looking at your other posts on here suggests you might be trolling. You called the members of Talkbass 'buttholes' - perhaps it was just your confrontational manner that rubbed them up the wrong way?

I didn't call them butt holes that's just what the site  fills in. And people are doing nothing but expressing their opinion, I express mine and I'm a troll. 

I don't need to look at your other posts because I'm not the one making personal attacks. That sounds kinda trollish to me, all I did was say Limp Biscuit sucks, I'm shocked anyone  I defending them.

You've both called me a troll and implied something about where I'm from. And called me daft, whatever the hell that is, it sounds a lot like an insult.

I've only expressed an opinion about a band.

And I'm the troll. I think you just don't like Americans, and that's why you are bullying me

You said something negative about SOAD right after the other guy said he liked them. Isn't that what you are now calling me a troll over?

By the way every band you guys are talking about are "wild Americans". 

You guys sure know how to make a guy feel welcome. If you look at my other post I wasn't trolling anyone, that's just what you've made me into so you have a license to bully the new American. So when your moderator comes along he sees troll  and thinks you re defending yourself. Been there and done that. If you don't want Americans in your exclusive club you can just say so. Well, I guess you have, haven't you? 

5 hours ago, Buckminster Emptier said:

I didn't call them butt holes that's just what the site  fills in. And people are doing nothing but expressing their opinion, I express mine and I'm a troll. 

I don't need to look at your other posts because I'm not the one making personal attacks. That sounds kinda trollish to me, all I did was say Limp Biscuit sucks, I'm shocked anyone  I defending them.

You've both called me a troll and implied something about where I'm from. And called me daft, whatever the hell that is, it sounds a lot like an insult.

I've only expressed an opinion about a band.

And I'm the troll. I think you just don't like Americans, and that's why you are bullying me

You said something negative about SOAD right after the other guy said he liked them. Isn't that what you are now calling me a troll over?

By the way every band you guys are talking about are "wild Americans". 

You guys sure know how to make a guy feel welcome. If you look at my other post I wasn't trolling anyone, that's just what you've made me into so you have a license to bully the new American. So when your moderator comes along he sees troll  and thinks you re defending yourself. Been there and done that. If you don't want Americans in your exclusive club you can just say so. Well, I guess you have, haven't you? 

No, you're very welcome, really.

But please appreciate this isn't Talkbass!