Why become a member? ×

1957 Fender bass, factory refinish, artist provenance for £26k.

1 hour ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Think this has already been posted on here somewhere, but thanks for giving us another chance to giggle at these chancers 😀

Apologies! I did have a quick look, but saw nothing recent on the forum. 

Is that expensive for a 1957 Fender? I have no idea about these things 

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

All PC’s/tablets/phones should have a factory-set program such that if you type “plays like butter” into it,

your keypad actually turns into butter......😠

But yes, looks like a decently priced ‘50’s P, particularly compared to how bonkers prices for ‘70’s ones seem have gone lately

• Haha 2

On 17/03/2023 at 15:02, lowregisterhead said:

Add on insurance and import duties and you’re looking at about £10,500. Last decent one of these I saw was £12,500 so still a profit margin there for a vintage dealer.

12 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Add on insurance and import duties and you’re looking at about £10,500. Last decent one of these I saw was £12,500 so still a profit margin there for a vintage dealer.

Still an awful lot of spondulicks to blow on a bass sight unseen. As far as I’m aware, ‘the neck feels like an old friend and plays like butter’ doesn’t constitute a legally binding guarantee.

If I picked up a bass that felt like it had a soft, greasy, dairy-based neck, the first thing I would do is check if someone had dropped a tab of acid in my tea.

Ah, Essex Recording Studios. Love them.

A couple of weeks ago, the family of a a dear, departed friend put his guitars through auction. Essex paid about £6,500 for this one, and they're trying to flip it for a canny mark-up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185819410017?fbclid=IwAR0XG4EzMQm-E6JQlCETFOCFmAXWVhDrwWfsn6AzR4bL4BpevvjEhoKNLck

And of course, they're fully entitled to do this. Good luck to 'em. Kind-of.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

A couple of weeks ago, the family of a a dear, departed friend put his guitars through auction. Essex paid about £6,500 for this one, and they're trying to flip it for a canny mark-up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185819410017?fbclid=IwAR0XG4EzMQm-E6JQlCETFOCFmAXWVhDrwWfsn6AzR4bL4BpevvjEhoKNLck

Gotta pay for the Fezza and the missus...

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

The description says "Your purchase helps musicians and supports our studio!" The second part of that statement could certainly be said to be true I suppose, although their definition of support may differ. Who knows, if it actually sells for what they're asking, they could use some of the profits to help a musician, by donating it to the family of the late previous owner, for example.

11 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

Still an awful lot of spondulicks to blow on a bass sight unseen. As far as I’m aware, ‘the neck feels like an old friend and plays like butter’ doesn’t constitute a legally binding guarantee.

If I picked up a bass that felt like it had a soft, greasy, dairy-based neck, the first thing I would do is check if someone had dropped a tab of acid in my tea.

How a guitar plays and sounds means very little to the vintage guitar dealer in my experience…

• Like 2

ERS's website has many gems - apparently, they have "the very best recording equipment in the world & the largest guitar collection in the country" (some members on here own more instruments than are shown on ESR's website), "the finest microphone & mic-pre collection in the UK" and "real music industry connections" (I assume that means they know people, rather than just having a few XLRs lying around).

Wot a larf, eh.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1