Why become a member? ×

If you had an itchy bum at night., right ..

xilddx

[quote name='escholl' post='467008' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:06 PM']i voted "crass" because there was no option for "pointless"

and any bass that was cheap and crappy enough for me to smash at the end of a gig, i wouldn't be playing in the first place.[/quote]

unless you were planning to smash it at the end :)

On stage no, not even a cheap pos, as I'd have had to buy it in the first place. And it's so cliche really.

However, would I perhaps set a pos on fire to use in an album sleeve?...Yes I would. Then again, I've already decided that if I ever have to do promo shots for an album (or sleeve), I will be standing in a crescent of flaming teddy bears on spikes. Mainly as a take the mick.

Don't really think it would work in certain pubs. I would like to do it in the right surroundings tho'.
If I could retrieve my 1st bass (Hondo11 -precision copy) that would be ideal.
Having said that, by the time I'm finished it would be about 3 in the afternoon and I'd get a bill for damaging he pub :)

This question reminds me of being a teenager and deciding to take up geetar but didn't have the spuds to go out and buy one. I remember trying to save for one and feeling really angry when I saw bands trash their instruments. I couldn't smash up a bass, knowing that there's a kid out there somewhere who's desperate to get hold of one.

I've never had enough money or basses to be able (nor been cool enough for it to look good).

When I saw Billy Joe Armstrong smash up his guitar at a green day gig, i believe he put his guitar away and brought out a cheapo one for the encore. That either very cleaver or very dumb.

[quote name='stu_g' post='467054' date='Apr 19 2009, 10:08 PM']i have smashed a bass not on stage though
it was a horrible warped neck marlin that i wouldnt have given to my worst enemy
so i smashed it, this was years ago have never regretted it[/quote]

when i was on my work experience at a guitar shop, there was this old cheapo acoustic that was already broken around the back. At one point, when there were no customers in the shop, the owner just randomly stood up, went and grabbed this old acoustic, came back into the main shop area and smashed it up, then kicked it's remains around the shop. It was all really funny, before he decided i was the one who had to tidy it up and hoover up all the dust and bits of wood that came off it.

Anyway, the point is, smashing a guitar looks like so much fun.

Edited by LWTAIT

As Buzz said, it's so cliché. Might have been cool in the sixties but come on...it's 2009.

Whilst watching a young Kings Of Leon tribute band recently, I cringed as the guitarist/singer felt it necessary to end the bands set by dropping his guitar on the stage and walking off to a huge cheer from all his college mates. The ensuing feedback only stopped when his Dad picked up the guitar and turned it off.....ROCK AND ROLL!!! And they say Spinal Tap is a spoof documentary.

Never smashed one onstage, but trashed a guitar at home one day in a hissy fit. Long ago, however, I was occasionally given to shoving the headstock through a speaker cone and leaving the whole thing dangling.

It's all a showbiz thing, I reckon and pretty much overdone. But watching (the late) Wendy O Williams take a chainsaw to a guitar - that never got old.

Don't see why people get upset, though - if you own it, you can do what you like with it.

[quote name='silddx' post='467016' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:14 PM']I've added an option for those who think it's pointless.[/quote]
Yuss, but you added strings (pardon the pun) :) If it had just said 'pointless' I'd have used that option 'cos I think it's just pointless. One man's p.o.s. bass is another man's all-I-can-afford bass, or somebody else's starter bass.

[quote name='Jimbo' post='467155' date='Apr 20 2009, 01:20 AM']N.B. IIRC Paul Simonon regretted (after the event) smashing up his 'good' Precision on the iconic London Calling album cover.[/quote]

Apparently he thought it was a not-so-good bass; didn't realise it was his best bass till it was too late.

[quote name='silddx' post='467016' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:14 PM']I've added an option for those who think it's pointless. But[b] I think if someone smashes an instrument on a stage, there is always a point,[/b] however poignant, profane or pragmatic :)[/quote]

perhaps you should add an option that isn't for what [i]you[/i] think, yes?

unless there is some sort of poetic tragedy in the death of the instrument, then it is without point. and there never is. some of my favorite musicians have done it, and i still think they were being t**ts.