Why become a member? ×

NBD CIJ PB70 99 reissue

Duroc17

NBD CIJ PB70 99 reissue - a beaut and super light. Love CIJ basses such quality builds, had a PB62 reissue and loved it but sold to fund custom build. I been after a natural PB70 but hardly see them, I just love a natural bass. I had the MIM FSR PB70 from think 2018 and the neck was superb but didn’t like the pups - should’ve changed them as regretted selling it.  This might give my custom build a run for its money, got gig next week might take it out. Free set from Bass Bros too - recommend them

F32926D7-8FB2-40E3-AE80-0F3906397DA6.thumb.jpeg.8ff70aee03c808f4ed53ef46a17feef6.jpeg

74A0CD49-D817-46B1-9BB3-6FF44DE4E8D0.jpeg

D3F8533D-DE4D-44E2-93A1-A1E39B63F175.jpeg

60216B46-67AC-44FB-BA59-5E9367A9355E.jpeg

4BF37C20-39D7-498B-AB5C-83268663067E.jpeg

• Like 21

My favourite of all the CIJ P basses! The PB70 is such a great bass. I'd been looking for a PB70US-ASH RW - which is basically the same thing with a rosewood fretboard, but if one of these maple versions came up, I'd have some serious words with my bank account over it!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dood said:

My favourite of all the CIJ P basses! The PB70 is such a great bass. I'd been looking for a PB70US-ASH RW - which is basically the same thing with a rosewood fretboard, but if one of these maple versions came up, I'd have some serious words with my bank account over it!

yeah would love a rosewood board - my brother-in-law has a PB70 ash with a rosewood board from 78 and he wont sell it! he doesnt play in a band - he bought it in83 - BUT THATS NO EXCUSE - he lent it to me for some recording and I fell in love then he took it back

Ah, what a gorgeous bass! I used to have one and it was the P bass that turned me back on to P basses. This model has the US pups and upgraded hardware, they're lovely basses and have amazing necks. Enjoy your new purchase!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Ah, what a gorgeous bass! I used to have one and it was the P bass that turned me back on to P basses. This model has the US pups and upgraded hardware, they're lovely basses and have amazing necks. Enjoy your new purchase!!!

Thanks Jonsey it’s hard to be objectI’ve when your in the honeymoon phase but I played it so much yesterday my fingers hurt, which is surprising. The neck is near perfect and the sound is crisp and deep. It might be the best P I’ve had   . My last CIJ was super, but this tops it. Probably because I prefer the natural look. It’s had time for the gloss to gas off a little so it’s not super shiny - still sanded the neck a touch. Will at Bass Bros has done a great string set up and had some low tension La Bellas, so spot on for me. 

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

The neck on these PB70's is, for me at least, the best profile Fender make - I think it's the B profile. @DoodI still have the Shuker/PB70 build - in fact its on my knee as I type this. My #1 😊

Got to agree. I had the PB70 FSR the neck was the best but it was too glossy and the pups weren’t that great - but this is just right 

Just now, Duroc17 said:

Got to agree. I had the PB70 FSR the neck was the best but it was too glossy and the pups weren’t that great - but this is just right 

I did take some fine sandpaper to mine to remove the gloss. Mine is a bitsa with a Shuker P body and it's currently got a David Allen 1088 p pick up which sounds great.

9 minutes ago, krispn said:

I did take some fine sandpaper to mine to remove the gloss. Mine is a bitsa with a Shuker P body and it's currently got a David Allen 1088 p pick up which sounds great.

Same with this I always lightly sand the gloss. Sorry,I meant the overall look, it was too high gloss - whereas this bass has had chance with age to loose that super sheen - will have a look at the Allen pup. In my P51 I got an overwound Fralin pup and that’s deep and round 

10 hours ago, karlfer said:

Yeah, I hesitated for a couple of hours on this one, when I decided do it, it had just been sold.

Lovely.

I debated for about 10 mins as I’ve been wanting one like this for ages but it took 10 mins because I’d spent a chunk on my custom build and just bought a mustang the week before. But I thought sod it, I’m glad I did been playing it every day since

• Like 1

My main bass for a few years now is a PB70-70US in Olympic White, with a rosewood fingerboard. Strung with light gauge Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats, something about it is just righteous. Really great instruments all round.

I don’t understand the model numbers though - other than US means it came with US pickups as stock. Anyone know what the 70 before the US means?

5 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

My main bass for a few years now is a PB70-70US in Olympic White, with a rosewood fingerboard. Strung with light gauge Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats, something about it is just righteous. Really great instruments all round.

I don’t understand the model numbers though - other than US means it came with US pickups as stock. Anyone know what the 70 before the US means?

It’s based on the 1970 model - so 70 - you sometimes see PB62 etc so it refers to the original year that spec came out. You’re right there is something righteous about them. First gig last night, my guitarist lived it. Was big round and fat tone 

• Like 1