Why become a member? ×

Abbatar

21 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You don’t have to like them, but the songwriting and construction is a thing of beauty and some of those bass lines are so good to play.

To you, but certainly not to me. Mediocre middle of the road generic formulaic pop pap imho. Each to their own and all that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

To you, but certainly not to me. Mediocre middle of the road generic formulaic pop pap imho. Each to their own and all that.

Again, I'm not suggesting you should like them, but 'mediocre middle of the road generic formulaic pop pap' says a lot.

The ability to admire the quality in something you don't necessarily like is a virtue. I'd never buy a Ferrari (for various genuine reasons), but man they are sweet!

• Like 3

It seems to be roughly the equivalent of seeing a play in a theatre, compared to a seeing a film in a cinema. One has 'live' actors (usually...), the other living or long-dead actors projected onto a screen. There will come a time in the near future when the 'live' theatre performance will become holographic, too; the differences become blurred, the screen becomes the thin air on the stage. It could well become available for domestic showing, too, so one could have a 'live' holographic concert streamed onto your coffee table. You read it here first. B|

Edited by Dad3353

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It seems to be roughly the equivalent of seeing a play in a theatre, compared to a seeing a film in a cinema. One has 'live' actors (usually...), the other living or long-dead actors projected onto a screen. There will come a time in the near future when the 'live' theatre performance will become holographic, too; the differences become blurred, the screen becomes the thin air on the stage. It could well become available for domestic showing, too, so one could have a 'live' holographic concert streamed onto your coffee table. You read it here first. B|

Help me Obe Wan, you’re my only hope………

• Haha 2

Lets be honest, most of the greats are in the late 60`s and beyond so this may be the future of music. Paul McCartney please take note :ph34r:

And don`t forget there are still loads of people involved in making this show work and it gives work for our fellow musicians so all good for me.

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

It makes perfect sense to me. 

People want to see the band. The band can’t perform. This is the next best thing and, as far as I can tell, they’re backed by a live band.

All good.

This.

They’re arguably my favourite band (along with Yes and Genesis) and I never got to see them live. This is as near as I’ll ever get, so I’m looking forward to it immensely.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Again, I'm not suggesting you should like them, but 'mediocre middle of the road generic formulaic pop pap' says a lot.

The ability to admire the quality in something you don't necessarily like is a virtue. I'd never buy a Ferrari (for various genuine reasons), but man they are sweet!

I appreciate all sorts of music that I wouldn’t listen but that doesn’t mean I have to agree that something is good purely because it is popular or because you (or anyone else) like it. Similar to Stock, Aitken and Waterman’s output many years later, ABBA signify all that is wrong in the music industry to me. Generic pap to appeal to un-discerning public. Others, like yourself, disagree but that does not make my opinion any less valid.

I wouldn’t go and see ABBA in any case, but nor would I go and see an avatar version of bands I love. It just seems utterly pointless, if I am making the effort to see a live event I want to see a live event not a fancy film that is the same every time with no interaction. It just smells of dumbing down the whole live music experience to me. It just has no soul.

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

...a fancy film that is the same every time with no interaction...

It's early daze yet. Give AI a bit more time to factor in the 'live' mosh pit and measure the applause and we'll see how 'interactive' it can become. Maybe voting with an App during the performance as an interim measure..? You read it here first. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's early daze yet. Give AI a bit more time to factor in the 'live' mosh pit and measure the applause and we'll see how 'interactive' it can become. Maybe voting with an App during the performance as an interim measure..? You read it here first. :ph34r:

The idea of a mosh pit at an ABBA gig has made me laugh out loud, I would genuinely love to see that.

As for the App, whilst a great idea it would need to work alongside recording the show in dodgy video, mostly of the back of someone’s head with awful sound just to ensure you have a memory of event you barely remember because you were too busy recording it.

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

... it would need to work alongside recording the show in dodgy video...

I'm led to believe that there are, at present, video games in which the storyline evolves as a function of the Player's decisions and actions. I'm sure that it's not that far removed from a hologram concert, as far as AI programming is concerned. I worked for a while on the portage of a video game from Megadrive to Atari (same processor...), and even back then, there was much interaction available.
Hmm... Maybe I should dust off the old STacy and get writing 68K code again. At least I wouldn't have to programme the soundtrack..! :lol:

7 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I appreciate all sorts of music that I wouldn’t listen but that doesn’t mean I have to agree that something is good purely because it is popular or because you (or anyone else) like it. Similar to Stock, Aitken and Waterman’s output many years later, ABBA signify all that is wrong in the music industry to me. Generic pap to appeal to un-discerning public. Others, like yourself, disagree but that does not make my opinion any less valid.

I wouldn’t go and see ABBA in any case, but nor would I go and see an avatar version of bands I love. It just seems utterly pointless, if I am making the effort to see a live event I want to see a live event not a fancy film that is the same every time with no interaction. It just smells of dumbing down the whole live music experience to me. It just has no soul.

I didn’t say you had to agree because it’s popular or because I like it. I think the standard of their song construction speaks for itself. If you can’t see or hear that, it’s your loss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How are they doing the vocals? Is it

a live vocalist in the session band? (doubt it tbh)

vocals from the original recordings?

re-recorded vocals by Agnetha and Anni-Frid? (and/or the lads where relevant - do they do Does Your Mother Know?)

It's almost as if they really, really made an effort to present and perform their music in the best way possible, given the circumstances, and give the audience an experience unlike anything they will ever have seen before with the music they love as the soundtrack 🤔

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

How are they doing the vocals? Is it

a live vocalist in the session band? (doubt it tbh)

vocals from the original recordings?

re-recorded vocals by Agnetha and Anni-Frid? (and/or the lads where relevant - do they do Does Your Mother Know?)

It’s the original studio recorded vocals.

• Like 1

This came up again over the weekend.  Mate of mine mentioned the (now long-gone) Horizons pavilion at the EPCOT centre and asked whether I remembered the small-scale holographic projection on part of the ride ('There's my wife talking to my daughter...'); it was a little 'Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope...'

I suppose there's a degree of that concept at work here.

On 28/05/2022 at 08:37, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You don’t have to like them, but the songwriting and construction is a thing of beauty and some of those bass lines are so good to play.

I'm working on a few of those amazing basslines at the moment for a new project. They are so much fun to play. 

• Like 1