Why become a member? ×

Damn Right, I Got The Blues Thread

Jonesy

• 4 weeks later...

I've only just come across this and thought I'd break the mould a bit by posting a full album........

Albert King, Steve Cropper and Pop Staples jamming out some ace tunes. What's not to love about this? 

Really excellent work on bass and drums too. I can't find any info on the other musicians on the LP, so if anyone knows then I'd love to hear who's doing what!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I've only just come across this and thought I'd break the mould a bit by posting a full album........

Albert King, Steve Cropper and Pop Staples jamming out some ace tunes. What's not to love about this? 

Really excellent work on bass and drums too. I can't find any info on the other musicians on the LP, so if anyone knows then I'd love to hear who's doing what!

That's quite poor, none of the usual sites (All music, Discogs) have any additional muso credits. Al Jackson Jr and Booker T have producer credits, so I ' d guess it was Al on drums, Booker T on keys and Donald Duck Dunn on bass. They were the house band on a lot of Stax recordings.

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 2

On 23/01/2023 at 13:05, Mykesbass said:

That's quite poor, none of the usual sites (All music, Discogs) have any additional muso credits. Al Jackson Jr and Booker T have producer credits, so I ' d guess it was Al on drums, Booker T on keys and Donald Duck Dunn on bass. They were the house band on a lot of Stax recordings.

Those sites were my first port of call too, I've tried to find pics of the original LP to see if there's any mention of personnel but it doesn't look like anyone is listed there either. 

I've just seen this site....

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/steve-cropper-pops-staples-albert-king/jammed-together/

One person there mentions Jackson on drums but drops Isaac Hayes as keys. Can't say I know either of them well enough to say it sounds like one over the other tbf. No mentions of a bass player, but it could well be Dunn - good shout!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

My band are going through a bit of a Lonnie Mack phase, currently learning a few of his tunes to play in our set.  Here's a splendidly soulful waltz, Stop.

I remember in the 90s my dad recorded a concert from the TV which was Lonnie, Albert Collins and Roy Buchanan at Carnegie Hall.

Lonnie looked exactly the same as the photo on your clip (same hat and guitar) so I reckon it was around the time he released this.  They played Stop and I used to wear that bit of the tape out (and Albert Collins (wasn't too fussed about the Roy Buchanan bits).

It was almost verbatim to this version except for a comedy "over-emphasising every hit" drummer who was fun to watch at the same time!  

• Like 1

I must shamefully admit I had never heard of him until guitarist in my band flagged him up.  I've seen that clip, it's there on YouTube, and agree - especially about the drummer :D   Lonnie is by some margin the pick of the players on that night.  Weird, and a bit sad, that he never made it big as he was very much a pioneer of a lot of stuff.  He released a record in his twilight years 'too rock for country, too country for rock'.  The guitar was his thing - the Flying V with a whammy bar and very much a part of his sound, even in the early 60s.  We are putting Stop, Wham, Riding the Blinds and Cincinnati Jail in our set over the next few weeks, starting this coming Friday with Wham :) 

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I likes me a bit of Kenny Wayne  Shepard

He realeased Ledbetter Heights when was 18.  Blimey - i'd only just finished climbing trees.

He's touring this year.......

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/the-kenny-wayne-shepherd-band-tickets/artist/1920920

Love the Hoax too. I'm not 100% sold on Beaux Gris Gris and the Apocolypse, but some of their tunes are decent.

• Like 1

Just nipped down a YouTube rabbit hole looking for the hoax cover of 'I've got a mind to give up living' - which is ace itself and has a bit of a Nawlins funeral procession swing to it, when I came across this........

Never knew they covered it, so it's new to me. Just solidifies for me why Peter Green is the best British guitarist imo. No one comes close to the level of feel and emotion he puts into his playing. Wonderful stuff.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Love the Hoax too. I'm not 100% sold on Beaux Gris Gris and the Apocolypse, but some of their tunes are decent.

I'm hoping to go and check out Beaux Gris in Poynton in April to see what they are like live.

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Mick Fleetwood and Friends playing the music of Peter Green on Sky Arts (hopefully doing their usual number of repeats). Some lovely playing, and Mick having the time of his life!

Yes, I quite enjoyed the Green Manalishi with Kirk Hammett playing Greenie's old LP.  

Fatboy Slim was on the BBC Radio 2 Blues show a week or two ago. He's a big blues fan and like s to listen to stuff far away from the music he makes... so very rough and low-tech blues.

We don't get may mash-ups in the Blues thread, but Norman (AKA Fatboy) played this that he made using the instrumental track from the Stones "Wild Horses" and the Van Morrison "Brown Eyed Girl". Works pretty well IMO.

• 4 weeks later...