Why become a member? ×

EBMM Joe Dart 2 is here

acidbass

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

On all the basses he played the notes aren’t clear because his action is too low. More buzz than buzz light year 

…except the Joe Dart that was the point of the demo - very little fret buzz throughout. I’d disagree that it’s simply a case of turning up the gain.  I’ve often come across very low output basses and they just lack something - turning up the gain and/or master volume doesn’t always fix it.

He’s a thorough reviewer, if rather a sloppy player (not that it really matters on a product demo). The neck pickup sounded OK, the bridge pickup was anonymous and overall it sounded very little like a jazz bass to my ears. The knobs are laughable - must be intentional and tongue in cheek, but it’s a pretty expensive joke. I’m sure people will buy the non limited edition model (if you can stand not to have the neck plate, a bit of paper with Joe Dart’s scrawl on it and a marginally different case), but I won’t be one of them. A big swing and a miss from ErnieBall on this one.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kev said:

I still think this instrument range is Joe Dart trolling the artist series bass world.  I was convinced the first one, with that big stupid knob, was a joke when it popped up on their YouTube.  They're so obviously cheap looking and lacking in features, it's almost too obvious they are the epitome of overpriced signature basses.

Are we sure he's not? 😅

It's not him though. Jack Stratton put his own money up to cover the overhead of the original ones if it didn't sell enough for EBMM to cover it.

JD has stated in interviews that he's just a sideman and he plays whatever Stratton writes for him.

If you are correct about trolling, then it's Stratton doing it.

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Skip to 1 hr 26' 51" in this

to hear it being underwhelming in a live mix. Mystifying.

I thought the sound he had from the passive Ray / Sterling model on the "Live at the MSG" vid was far better. Really thick and chewy tone.

He had EB Group flatwounds on that bass too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Skip to 1 hr 26' 51" in this

to hear it being underwhelming in a live mix. Mystifying.

You have to give Vulfpeck credit for being great entertainers. Cool show (pun intended). Not sure about the hats though. Reminded me of...

Po_from_teletubbies.thumb.jpg.8b91d8d500e485431bf3b520afc61f73.jpg

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Meths before lunch? 

giphy.webp

Which of us is comparing a festival set mix to a bespoke artist-led production mix? 😇

That minor detail aside, we're comparing the difference between a (albeit passive) Stringray and a Jazz, they sound different, simple as that.
The festival set, the bass is present and supportive (tonally) throughout the whole gig, job done, how it compares subjectively to a Stringray is kinda a moot point.....unless you wanna get all Talkbass about it.

Si

Not the biggest fan of Joe Dart or Vulfpeck, but its always good to see an artist/signature bass thats more than just a standard model in a different colour or with a sticker.

Also love that Ernie Ball take chances.

Jonny

5 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

…except the Joe Dart that was the point of the demo - very little fret buzz throughout. I’d disagree that it’s simply a case of turning up the gain.  I’ve often come across very low output basses and they just lack something - turning up the gain and/or master volume doesn’t always fix it.

I think this is just a matter of preference. I tend to prefer lower output single coils. I’m not typically a fan of high output pickups or many (most?) actives.

FWIW, the comments about the Dart II not having enough beef just reflect my own experiences when playing Jazz basses. Of course YMMV, and many people’s often does. 😉😂

Also FWIW I don’t find Vulfpeck interesting on any level. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fretmeister said:

It's not him though. Jack Stratton put his own money up to cover the overhead of the original ones if it didn't sell enough for EBMM to cover it.

JD has stated in interviews that he's just a sideman and he plays whatever Stratton writes for him.

If you are correct about trolling, then it's Stratton doing it.

I think they're 100% trolling, after all originally Stratton made Sterling Ball produce a pricey clone of his cheapo Carlo Robelli bass which was itself a knockoff Musicman.

d092acf6-da4e-41c5-bdd3-8f1a5184df67-jpe

ernie_ball_music_man_artist_series_joe_d

Top grade clowning going on here I think.

• Like 1

Joe Dart is a great player, but he's also kinda a "flavour of the month" player.

He's to the 2020s what Stuart Zender was to the 90s, without the multi-platinum worldwide fame. 

His sig bass should really have been a Sterling By Musicman instrument. There are very few MM players who have the profile to do a proper MM signature bass justice. Obviously John Myung has one, Tim Commerford has one, and they should really do one for Tony Levin. Joe Dart isn't a patch on those guys in terms of visibility. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I wonder why Levin hasn't got one.

Maybe after the OLP version he didn't want a full fat one.

I believe he uses stock Stingrays with no modifications. Although he had that custom 3-string they made for him many moons ago (I think he lost it in a fire). 

21 minutes ago, Russ said:

Joe Dart is a great player, but he's also kinda a "flavour of the month" player.

He's to the 2020s what Stuart Zender was to the 90s, without the multi-platinum worldwide fame. 

His sig bass should really have been a Sterling By Musicman instrument. There are very few MM players who have the profile to do a proper MM signature bass justice. Obviously John Myung has one, Tim Commerford has one, and they should really do one for Tony Levin. Joe Dart isn't a patch on those guys in terms of visibility. 

He gets an undue amount people taking shots at him. He should call himself Joe Dartboard.

FWIW, he's almost flavour of the decade, at this stage. I became aware of them through a thread here in 2014, been a fan ever since, and they had been going quite a while by then. They've worked hard at what they do and worked hard to get to where they are. Fair play to them. They have made an impact in an industry where new artists are no longer supported. They've been clever and inventive to make things happen for them. If you don't like their music, fine, but everything they have achieved, they have done the hard way - including taking the financial risk on the signature basses which seem to irk so many. Perhaps Tony could do that too and he could have one?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

He gets an undue amount people taking shots at him. He should call himself Joe Dartboard.

FWIW, he's almost flavour of the decade, at this stage. I became aware of them through a thread here in 2014, been a fan ever since, and they had been going quite a while by then. They've worked hard at what they do and worked hard to get to where they are. Fair play to them. They have made an impact in an industry where new artists are no longer supported. They've been clever and inventive to make things happen for them. If you don't like their music, fine, but everything they have achieved, they have done the hard way - including taking the financial risk on the signature basses which seem to irk so many. Perhaps Tony could do that too and he could have one?

So Music Man/Earnie Ball is sending Joe Dart the bill for the production of his signature basses? :scratch_one-s_head:

That's usually not how signature instruments work. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Joe Dart is taking the proverbial. He's got EBMM to make him a Fender Jazz Bass and call it a signature model.  I suppose the joke is on whoever buys one. That won't be me.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Not one of those names mean anything to me. I think I have heard of Tony Levin, probably here on Basschat, but I have no idea what he plays or who he plays with. The others have completely passed me by.

38 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So Music Man/Earnie Ball is sending Joe Dart the bill for the production of his signature basses? :scratch_one-s_head:

That's usually not how signature instruments work. 

It's in a video where is't confirmed - Jack Stratton was effectively EBMM's guarantee to cover the overheads of the signature runs, at least for the first couple of models.

7 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Not one of those names mean anything to me. I think I have heard of Tony Levin, probably here on Basschat, but I have no idea what he plays or who he plays with. The others have completely passed me by.

Zender - Jamiroquai

Myung - Dream Theater

Levin - just about everybody! Most famous probably for Peter Gabriel or King Crimson

Commerford - Rage Against the Machine

Edited by fretmeister