Why become a member? ×

Physical preparation for a tour

ARGH

I would say to try and wean yourself off your home comforts so that you don't miss them on the road.

Take an MP3 player and a good book.

Learn how to relax and meditate if you have time before you go as it lets you keep focussed on what you are doing. It also allows you to get away from everything without ever leaving your room.

You could try jogging or even a brisk walk as that's also good for getting away from everything and allows you time to think and reflect.

Anything really that keeps you calm, relaxed and occupied but isn't too taxing.

This isn't from experience but is everything I would do if I was about to embark on something like that. I do meditate though.

We've been offered gigs in the Baltic states and Poland....later in the year..Germany has been mumbled about too.

Still not too sure its going to come off though,but I dont know what to do...Im green on this sort of thing.

I know a lot of famous artists go through an intense physical workout before going on tour, I suppose if you're in better shape then you're less likely to get lazy/lethargic.

Absolutely essential items for any tour, to maintain your physical wellbeing would include:

- Tablets (as mentioned already for general illnesses)
- Plasters
- Some antiseptic cream or lotion (Germolene for example)
- Nail clippers (a must)

Danny

ARGH, Baltic States? :rolleyes:

So, maybe you're coming into Lithuania then.. If so, (and, not to forget, you're a rockband, right?), you've been probably offered a gig in "Muse" music club, in capital Vilnius?

It'd be a pleasure to hear and [i]see [/i]a fellow Basschater.. :)

[quote name='Faithless' post='461078' date='Apr 13 2009, 10:54 AM']ARGH, Baltic States? :rolleyes:

So, maybe you're coming into Lithuania then.. If so, (and, not to forget, you're a rockband, right?), you've been probably offered a gig in "Muse" music club, in capital Vilnius?

It'd be a pleasure to hear and [i]see [/i]a fellow Basschater.. :)[/quote]
IF...and its an IF...it comes off,yeah,we will be in the capital.

I reckon you could do worse than what we're all supposed to do to keep healthy - lots of fruit and veg, hydrate well, get some sleep, regular exercise, give yourself something to do not involving music. I'd take it as a killer opportunity to see new places, and going for a walk to see the sights would do you no harm at all from a health perspective.
Physically, I wouldn't have thought each day would be more arduous than you're used to before; the key is probably that you need plenty of sleep each day to be in a fit state for the next day.

LAPTOP....WIRELESS LAPTOP..!
Physical preparation... make sure the LAPTOP is working. :)
Get plenty of music onto your LAPTOP,
Reading material on your LAPTOP.
A camera or video hooked into your LAPTOP.
Make sure you book into hotels with room internet access for you LAPTOP,
So you can check out the local sites or the local Reaper Bahn [ but dont take your LAPTOP there]
Then if some dodgy agent dont pay you when you are in Kazacstan,
You can then sell your LAPTOP to get home.

A big must...sort out a decent cheap rate phone company...
It will save you ££££'s
I use this all the time when overseas.
[url="http://www.jajah.com/"]http://www.jajah.com/[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

cat naps whenever you can. i've never played in europe but good friends have told me stuck in a small van with 7 people, crate of euro boooze and bags of quality wing wang ends up in a very disrupted sleep. Get your head down for 30 mins whenever and where ever you can.

plus - take in a 'show'. or you'll burst form sexual tension :)

I've never done a music tour but I have done sports tours...

[quote name='chris_b' post='460593' date='Apr 12 2009, 02:56 PM']Immodium[/quote]

+10000000000

Take lots of it. Loads. Sell a dog/kid/liver/grandma if you need to fund more.

[quote name='SteveK' post='460620' date='Apr 12 2009, 03:54 PM']Don't know any musicians who make "physical preparations" for a tour[/quote]

I know the guitarist from Sick of it All, frontman from Dillinger etc all try and bulk up a bit before heading onto the road. Also maybe try and firm up your calluses even further cos they're gonna take a bigger beating than normal. I remember reading an interview with Chris W. from Muse and he said something along those lines.

Either way, good luck! :rolleyes: I'd love to go on tour with my band someday :)

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='lowdown' post='461164' date='Apr 13 2009, 12:52 PM']LAPTOP....WIRELESS LAPTOP..!
Physical preparation... make sure the LAPTOP is working. :)
Get plenty of music onto your LAPTOP,
Reading material on your LAPTOP.
A camera or video hooked into your LAPTOP.
Make sure you book into hotels with room internet access for you LAPTOP,
So you can check out the local sites or the local Reaper Bahn [ but dont take your LAPTOP there]
Then if some dodgy agent dont pay you when you are in Kazacstan,
You can then sell your LAPTOP to get home.

A big must...sort out a decent cheap rate phone company...
It will save you ££££'s
I use this all the time when overseas.
[url="http://www.jajah.com/"]http://www.jajah.com/[/url]

Garry[/quote]

As Mentioned above..... make sure you have a decent Laptop..... It WILL keep you sane..... Other than that.... Mogodon and Rohypnol!

Think of all the things you ever wanted to do. Telly out the window.Adolph Hitler costume silly japes to piss off your band mates. A good sense of humour is what you need to carry you through! Take pen and paper and keep a road diary, you'll be able to write a book when you get home. Above all live the dream. Been there done it got the tee shirt, video and dont regret a thing.

[quote]I know the guitarist from Sick of it All, frontman from Dillinger etc all try and bulk up a bit before heading onto the road.[/quote]
WTF Why would they do that?

I don't know these guys, but they obviously inhabit a different world to me. It's when I'm on the road that I tend to do my [i]bulking up[/i] :)

Steve

[quote name='SteveK' post='461531' date='Apr 13 2009, 08:48 PM']WTF Why would they do that?

I don't know these guys, but they obviously inhabit a different world to me. It's when I'm on the road that I tend to do my [i]bulking up[/i] :)

Steve[/quote]

Makes sense seeing as you don't really eat regularly.... or at least my experience was that..... Drink regularly yes....