Why become a member? ×

Physical preparation for a tour

ARGH

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='461558' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:06 PM']No suitcases or other sensible baggage - Just make sure your carrier bag contains two T-shirts & one sock. Why?? Well, you always lose one! :)[/quote]

I had visions of you sporting a Chilli Peppers style condom there Rich

[quote name='ARGH' post='460579' date='Apr 12 2009, 02:40 PM']Given that Im happily with a partner,have a militant hatred of drug users,dont drink,and like listening to Brian Eno's ambient lps....spose its the book then.

But this isnt really preparation...[/quote]You'd be pushed out of the side door of the bus, after 100 yards. :)

I guess if your at the stage of touring then your playing should be ok to not worry about.

Having toured a few times, make sure you have lots of spares. Batteries, leads, fuses, plugs, strings etc. All the things you need to keep playing in case of problems. Also make sure everything is in its place. Get a proper case for spares, not a couple of carrier bags. Proper cases for your basses also, no gig bags please.

As for the tour bus etc, lots of medicine, MP3 player, PSP/DS Lite, books, magazines etc. Also, the suggestion of a chess/backgammon board is a great one. We also took, or made sure we got, lots of fresh orange. Not the cheap crap stuff but the proper squeezed stuff to keep colds and flu away. Make sure you eat prperly also. Try not to live of burgers everyday.

Saying that, enjoy yourself. After the gigs, have a few beers to wind down and enjoy it. Chat to people after. Its amazing how many friends your make on tour in different towns. Get their addresses to keep in touch.

However, the most important thing to take is a camera. All those memories and expreriences must never been forgotton. Try and capture every moment.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ARGH' post='460598' date='Apr 12 2009, 03:03 PM']We've been offered gigs in the Baltic states and Poland....later in the year..Germany has been mumbled about too.

Still not too sure its going to come off though,but I dont know what to do...Im green on this sort of thing.[/quote]

Let me know which cities in Poland and I can easily tell you what to go and visit :) And where to get good food and cheap :rolleyes:

Cheers
Jack

Avoid drugs. Don't binge drink (a few is fine but the wrong hangover can put you out of action for two days). If you're single, make sure you have condoms on you at all times. Be VERY careful who you let near the tour bus, and do anything you can to avoid fights.

In terms of physical prep, I'd say you could do worse than to put on a couple of pounds before you go, because you're gonna lose 'em on the road (unless you cram burgers at every rest stop, but as someone else said that's asking for trouble).

Top tip: Most convenience stores these days have prepared salad in sealed bags. One of those will set you back about the same as a packet of fancy crisps. Have a bag of salad every day (or more if you like 'em). Just snack on 'em as you would crisps. Sounds silly, but it makes a massive difference to your health and wellbeing.

Also, don't take a laptop, and maybe only a couple of books. If you take a bunch of your own entertainment, all that happens is that you'll have travelled through some of the most breath-taking places in Europe but you'll have missed them all because you were staring at Facebook or Stephen King.

[b]"Bulk up"[/b]? [b]"Put on a couple of pounds before you go"[/b]?

Can someone please explain why?

I've played these places many times in the last 25 years or so, and never once felt it was necessary to bulk up. Never once heard anyone say, "We should've bulked up before leaving home".

These countries have food, it ain't expensive, and some of it is quite edible. :)

Steve

EDIT: When I say, "these places", I am referring more to the former Eastern Bloc countries.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' post='471425' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:38 PM'][b]"Bulk up"[/b]? [b]"Put on a couple of pounds before you go"[/b]?

I've played these places many times in the last 25 years or so, and never once felt it was necessary to bulk up. Never once heard anyone say, "We should've bulked up before leaving home".

These countries have food, it ain't expensive, and some of it is quite edible. :)

Steve

EDIT: When I say, "these places", I am referring more to the former Eastern Bloc countries.[/quote]

It's not a rule, but last time I did a stint it involved heavy performances on a nightly basis, quite a lot of partying, and we rarely got a chance to eat three squares a day. I lost like ten pounds.

[quote name='SteveK' post='471425' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:38 PM'][b]"Bulk up"[/b]? [b]"Put on a couple of pounds before you go"[/b]?

Steve

EDIT: When I say, "these places", I am referring more to the former Eastern Bloc countries.[/quote]
In 'metal' circles...lets just say,at my level Im about to experience..... catering is a very low priority for promoters towards bands.

[quote name='ARGH' post='471763' date='Apr 24 2009, 06:26 PM']In 'metal' circles...lets just say,at my level Im about to experience..... catering is a very low priority for promoters towards bands.[/quote]

You might be surprised. In most of the former Eastern Bloc countries I've been fed extremely well - they put promoters in this country to shame.

And if you're driving in Poland you might like to take some rubber pants with you. I'm sure things have improved somewhat since they've joined the EU, but their roads (and drivers) were some of the most scary I've come across.

[quote name='SteveK' post='461531' date='Apr 13 2009, 08:48 PM']WTF Why would they do that?

I don't know these guys, but they obviously inhabit a different world to me. It's when I'm on the road that I tend to do my [i]bulking up[/i] :)

Steve[/quote]
Those band mentioned are very hardcore type bands, especially Sick of It All. They are extremely active around the stage, and doing that every or most nights can really take it out of you if you haven't prepared.

Zach