Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd re-form to support Ukraine

Tvrtastic

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

They’re using the name Pink Floyd simply because it’ll sell more copies and make more money.

All proceeds go to Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief, so if it makes more money that's a Good Thing (unless you happen to support Putin, of course, in which case you are an inhuman festering piece of loathsomeness).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

All proceeds go to Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief, so if it makes more money that's a Good Thing (unless you happen to support Putin, of course, in which case you are an inhuman festering piece of loathsomeness).

Exactly.

38 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I found the video profoundly moving, if you have no humanity in you then you probably won't.

I didn't, although I like to think I have some humanity and not convinced we can establish others humanity based on a music video. I do however fully support the idea behind it and hope it does well. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I didn't, although I like to think I have some humanity and not convinced we can establish others humanity based on a music video. I do however fully support the idea behind it and hope it does well. 

" if you have no humanity in you then you probably won't" isn't the same as "if you don't then you probably have no humanity in you".

2 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Technically Nick Mason is the only original member of Pink Floyd here but as has been said above, if it makes money and gets a point across to a larger audience using the PF name then it's worth doing.

It makes me chuckle that Nick Mason's side project these days is a Pink Floyd tribute act to the early years (very good too!)

Using the Pink Floyd moniker to sell this song is a good idea, I wonder what Rog thinks of it though 🤔

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, super al said:

It makes me chuckle that Nick Mason's side project these days is a Pink Floyd tribute act to the early years (very good too!)

Is it technically a tribute if it has the members of pink floyd in it? I mean, it is less of a tribute act then Yes have been!

I thought it was funny the other day, my facebook feed had 2 posts by 2 friends in different pink floyd tribute bands (in different areas), both of whom do stuff from the wall onwards, and a post from Nick Masons band, the only actual member of pink floyd whos group does before the wall!

To be honest, although the stuff I would listen to is the wall onwards, if i was in a tribute I would prefer to do the pre-wall stuff.

The only problem I had with the track that this thread is about is that I don't find that it is a good pink floyd track, it seems too much like 2 things stitched together.

However, glad they had done it so it is hard to critisize when it is for a very good cause.

Incidently Portishead have reformed for the same reason

^Loved Nick's Saucers gig at the Roundhouse shownon Sky Arts, borrowing Guy Pratt...

Sounds like it started out for Sh!t 'n Giggles and as one put it 'a nice lunch'... so much fun they couldnt leave it alone! Great set of tracks, and looked like they were enjoying it... a lot more low key than DG's events...

Edited by PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, super al said:

Using the Pink Floyd moniker to sell this song is a good idea, I wonder what Rog thinks of it though 🤔

Roger Waters doesn't approve of the West supplying arms to Ukraine to defend themselves, and thinks it can all be sorted out through diplomacy. Well-intentioned perhaps, but utterly deluded.

FTAOD, this track isn't raising money for arms, it's for humanitarian work.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Roger Waters doesn't approve of the West supplying arms to Ukraine to defend themselves, and thinks it can all be sorted out through diplomacy. Well-intentioned perhaps, but utterly deluded.

FTAOD, this track isn't raising money for arms, it's for humanitarian work.

As a master of the art of diplomacy he would know…..

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Barclay James Harvest did a similar acrimonious firework. There are now two BJHs doing the rounds, with one original member each. 

:facepalm:

Gah! Well, I suppose it’s ‘show business’ and not ‘show buddies’, but FFS, what sh*tshow.

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Barclay James Harvest did a similar acrimonious firework. There are now two BJHs doing the rounds, with one original member each. 

Following the fallout between the Campbell brothers there’s two UB40s, as if one wasn’t one too many.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, visog said:

Good debate. Great cause. Not very good though eh... elephant in the room.

Heard it for the first today, I have to agree. Could be anyone behind the singer, couldn’t detect anything particularly Floyd-esque about it. Doesn’t detract from the sentiment, however. Their name is probably enough.