Why become a member? ×

Stone Temple Pilots

SteveXFR

STP are a band I've always kind of liked but never really taken much time to really listen to them. Yesterday I put on Core, I'd never realised before just how interesting their bass lines are. I spent most of yesterday evening working out Plush.

It's always great to suddenly discover something I already knew was so much more interesting than I ever realised.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

STP are a band I've always kind of liked but never really taken much time to really listen to them. Yesterday I put on Core, I'd never realised before just how interesting their bass lines are. I spent most of yesterday evening working out Plush.

It's always great to suddenly discover something I already knew was so much more interesting than I ever realised.

Yes, Rob DeLeo has come up with some great basslines. Plush is my fav as it has several interesting parts, very melodic.

Other favs are: interstate love song, crackerman (simple lines but very groovy), sour girl, trippin on paper heart, sex type thing and down.

Enjoy 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I was on holiday many years ago with an old girlfriend of mine. We were in the Dominican Republic and every evening when everyone was eating a couple of guys with acoustic guitars would come round and serenade couples in turn. They would play a traditional soppy tune first but always followed up with a sneaky Little Rock tune. When they came to us one night they played Plush. It was superb. Later I spoke to them and they told me they played in a full rock band in the capital. I planned to go out to catch them but we were advised that we shouldn't leave the complex. 

I often wonder what became of them.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Still remember the STP concert in the o2 Forum in Kentish Town on June 13th 2019. Great concert and, up to this day, my last concert attendance 😢

20190613_211418.thumb.jpg.21b5e00a159f6f0a3960c16becdb6bb0.jpg

I woz there too. Great gig. Great, oft underrated band. Love the rhythm section, think Eric Kretz is one of my favourite drummers. Powerful but restrained and a really lovely fee and groove.

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

Back in the day I was a guitarist. By the time I could play something resembling shred, that era had passed.

I joined a band and we did a couple of STP songs, one of which was Plush. I remember being disappointed at how easy they were to play.

Can't speak for the bass lines though.

6 minutes ago, Merton said:

I woz there too. Great gig. Great, LFT underrated band. Love the rhythm section, think Eric Kretz is one of my favourite drummers. Powerful but restrained and a really lovely fee and groove.

Cool stuff. Yes, it was a fantastic gig. I know that Jeff Gutt is not Scott Weiland but I think he did a great job and he engaged the audience quite well too, including climbing around the venue 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Back in the day I was a guitarist. By the time I could play something resembling shred, that era had passed.

I joined a band and we did a couple of STP songs, one of which was Plush. I remember being disappointed at how easy they were to play.

Can't speak for the bass lines though.

The bass lines are interesting rather than difficult. 

• Like 1

Way back when I first started playing bass, I was in a band with some friends. We only ever played a couple of local gigs, but one of them was a memorial concert for a young guy who had been killed in a car crash. He had been the singer with another band that we were friendly with and I always remember that Plush was one of the songs that they covered.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

During the first lockdown I ended up having a listen to a few bands I’d heard the name of (and people I knew rated/recommended) but had never gotten around to hearing anything by them. STP was one of those bands.

Not all to my taste, but ended up liking a few bits and bobs, but I ended up really liking the bass parts.

Even more so after I watched this. To me, he comes across as a really nice and humble guy, who is hugely talented.

Well worth a watch… 

• Like 5

On 06/04/2022 at 10:15, SteveXFR said:

I grew up listening to AC/DC. Iron Maiden etc. You know, all of the NWOBM bands but I can honestly say that when Grunge came along I was in heaven. So many great bands came out around that time. I got into STP when they released their first album and I have always loved their sound. I feel that they never really got the recognition  that other bands got and maybe that why they slipped past many peoples radar. Thanks for bringing them back to our attention.

• Like 2

They’re my favourite rock band ever. Very dynamic, from huge rock tunes to delicate acoustic melodies and everything in between. This is one of my favourite album tracks - I don’t know what bass Robert is using here but the tone is fantastic. 😊

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Grassie said:

They’re my favourite rock band ever. Very dynamic, from huge rock tunes to delicate acoustic melodies and everything in between. This is one of my favourite album tracks - I don’t know what bass Robert is using here but the tone is fantastic. 😊

Interesting question. Did some quick googling out of interest. Here we go:

"Among the other basses he's used are a Schecter Model T with jazz pickups, not PJ, a Danelectro Longhorn, a couple of old short-scale hollowbodies (Limgar and Orlando) with flatwound strings (q.v the MTV Unplugged show), an upright bass on Pretty Penny, a '66 fender Precision with flats, a Fender Musicmaster, and a Ric 4001 (Art School Girl)."

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Interesting question. Did some quick googling out of interest. Here we go:

"Among the other basses he's used are a Schecter Model T with jazz pickups, not PJ, a Danelectro Longhorn, a couple of old short-scale hollowbodies (Limgar and Orlando) with flatwound strings (q.v the MTV Unplugged show), an upright bass on Pretty Penny, a '66 fender Precision with flats, a Fender Musicmaster, and a Ric 4001 (Art School Girl)."

Cool, thanks! That man has some gear… 😁

4 hours ago, ubit said:

I grew up listening to AC/DC. Iron Maiden etc. You know, all of the NWOBM bands but I can honestly say that when Grunge came along I was in heaven. So many great bands came out around that time. I got into STP when they released their first album and I have always loved their sound. I feel that they never really got the recognition  that other bands got and maybe that why they slipped past many peoples radar. Thanks for bringing them back to our attention.

Though in the US Core is 8 x platinum, Purple 6 xm Tiny Music 2 x and total sales of around 40 million. Problem was critics used to bash them for supposedly jumping on the grunge bandwagon. Clearly those idiots were cloth-eared as many STP tunes are nothing like grunge.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Though in the US Core is 8 x platinum, Purple 6 xm Tiny Music 2 x and total sales of around 40 million. Problem was critics used to bash them for supposedly jumping on the grunge bandwagon. Clearly those idiots were cloth-eared as many STP tunes are nothing like grunge.

I remember hearing Plush when it first came out thinking it was a new one from Pearl Jam (they were about to release Vs.), but I love it more than anything PJ have done (and their first two albums are brilliant). Sex Type Thing came along and I was in. 😊

I think a lot of new American rock bands in the early 90's kind of ended up with the grunge label whether they wanted it or not.

I don't think STP, Pearl Jam or Soundgarden were really grunge bands. They were excellent rock bands from America with a bit of an alternative sound. I always think of grunge as bands like Melvins, Mudhoney, Tad and early, pre Nevermind Nirvana. 

Disclaimer:  This is just my opinion and not scientifically proven fact. I accept that it may be wrong. 

• Like 3