Why become a member? ×

Late to the party?

odysseus

Mark Lanegan passed away recently... I'd heard the name but never took a great deal of notice.  I did some research and some YouTube diligence and discovered that I love Screaming Trees.  I was into grunge when it was at its peak and I was a callow pup of 19 or 20,  - I loved Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden, and was in a band covering them, but Screaming Trees passed under the radar somehow.  So, the bottom line is that I'm about 30 years late on that one.  That's pretty shoddy. 🤡

So what bands passed you by, when theoretically you were in exactly the right time and place to get on it?

• Like 1

I'm really bad for this, Cave In are my favourite band, but I got into them when they were on hiatus, back together now so that's good.

The Dillinger Escape Plan are another, liked them when they were together, after they split got really into them and they're a top five band for me now.

I reckon if I'd heard The Downward Spiral around the age of 20 then Nine Inch Nails would have been a huge band for me, I only really started listening to them a couple of years ago though.

Napalm Death, Converge, Faith No More, Judas Priest - all bands that took me far longer than it should have done to give them a go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odysseus said:

Mark Lanegan passed away recently... I'd heard the name but never took a great deal of notice.  I did some research and some YouTube diligence and discovered that I love Screaming Trees.  I was into grunge when it was at its peak and I was a callow pup of 19 or 20,  - I loved Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden, and was in a band covering them, but Screaming Trees passed under the radar somehow.  So, the bottom line is that I'm about 30 years late on that one.  That's pretty shoddy. 🤡

So what bands passed you by, when theoretically you were in exactly the right time and place to get on it?

Lanegan was brilliant. His solo albums are better than the Trees but they made some great songs. 
have you listened to Mad Season? He did some songs with them, Slip Away was my favourite. 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Guns N Roses

As a punk at the time they were far too bluesy for me, same with AC/DC. I now look back at my stupidity and shudder.

Funnily enough, both were bands that I didn’t get when I was younger but I love both now. 

One for me I regret not listening to until after they broke up was Gaslight Anthem. Apparently they were a big deal and I’d never heard of them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, odysseus said:

I was a callow pup of 19 or 20

CALLOW... good word! & pup.

Hmm, in terms of bass players I should of been aware of at the time... well, without being obscure, it's Eberhard Weber. Once I caught up with his playing it took me on a path where at least 50% of my playing is now EUB.

• Like 1

Some friends from our local skateboard park went to see Led Zeppelin at Knebworth.  This was 1979, I was a 16 year old punk and wasn't interested in led Zeppelin stuff so didn't go.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time.

• Like 2

Steely Dan would be the big one. I only got into them a few years ago but it's some of my favourite music ever, now. This kind of thing happens a lot, though. I love finding great new music,  even if it's old music. You have the soundtrack to your life but there was so much going on at that time and even more before, it would be ruse not to investigate.

• Like 1

I grew up listening almost exclusively to rock and metal. I had maybe thirty or so bands that I listened to regularly. 

As a result, almost everything outside those bands passed me by. 

I've never even heard of the vast majority of bands and players mentioned on here.

When I joined this forum a couple of years ago I even had to Google Jaco (wish I hadn't bothered) Geddy Lee (turns out, I'd vaguely heard of Rush) and Leland Sklar (who has since become probably my favourite bass player out there).

I'll be honest, I still struggle to find any music that comes even close to being as enjoyable as those thirty or so bands I was listening to 30 years ago, and they're still my go to playlist. 

• Like 1

AC/DC for me.  No idea how or why but the early Bonn Scott era material completely passed me by apart from Highway to Hell.  When they finally came into my consciousness it was with Brian Johnson at the helm and I never cared much for his voice.    It was only a few years ago when I auditioned for an AC/DC tribute band (and passed it over, in hindsight I could have stuck with it but such is life :) ) that I had a proper listen to their early stuff and realised what I'd missed. 

• Like 2

A friend of mine dragged me along to a couple of pink Floyd concerts when I was about 16, I’d only been playing bass for around a year, I enjoyed it but wish I’d paid more attention as I didn’t really appreciate just how good they were 

• Like 1

Another one for me was Fates Warning. Through the 90s I was heavily into the whole prog metal thing, like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Vanden Plas etc.  Again, I was aware of Fates Warning but had never taken much notice.  It was only about 4 years ago that YouTube algorithm served up their Alive In Athens set while I was browsing on my tablet one morning. Holy Cow, Batman! How did that get past me?! Further digging revealed that these guys pretty much blazed the trail for many of the prog dudes that followed.... couple of the DT guys said exactly that in an interview.  I love 'em and I've been slowly buying my way through their back catalogue. They've been going since the 80's but seem to be making really good music still - Theories Of Flight is one of my favourite albums and that was only 3 or 4 years ago.