Why become a member? ×

When bands make movies...

MacDaddy

11 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Me and my mate sat in the cinema and watched “Slade in Flame” on repeat. That’s when we decided to form our first band. Happy memories 

Really? Flame's an amazing film but it makes being in a band look pretty hellish... "Can you feel your toes Jack?"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Led Zeps Song Remains the Same had some acting in the fantasy sections and that was cringeworthy... definitely to be discouraged at all costs.

Slightly off topic but that film was one of the big musical disappointments of my teenage years.

I was a huge Zep fan in the early 90s, but I'd only ever heard the studio albums.

So when an excited 14 year old me bought TSRTS on VHS it was a bit of a shock to find out how pompous and bloated their live show was at that point in their career.

To be fair it wasn't all bad but to a teenager who's other favourite band were the Ramones that interminable version of 'Dazed and Confused' featuring Jimmy Page torturing his guitar with a violin bow for hours on end was bewildering at best.

35 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Does cliff Richard in summer holiday count 😁, or the Spice movie 

Thinking about 1960's beat bands...

Herman's Hermits made a movie called Hold On about naming an American space capsule after the band. Further wyrde fact: the title song (and others on the OST) were written by PF Sloan, he who penned Barry McGuire's hit Eve Of Destruction.

The Dave Clark Five and Freddie and the Dreamers appeared in their own movies but not as themselves. I vaguely recall seeing the DC5 movie Catch Us If You Can one time and thinking it was quite well executed, if a bit silly. Turns out the movie was John Boorman's debut feature film as a director.

Judging by synopses of the Freddie and The Dreamers movies, they appear to be truly awful examples of cheapo British offerings of the time, with plots as bad as any Norman Wisdom film and where the band members are being propped up by more proficient character actors.

Edited by skankdelvar
capitalisation
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The Monkees also made a film 

They surely did and I watched it one time. A total brain-f__k of neo-psychedelia, social comment and a raft of cameos from people like Frank Zappa, Toni Basil, Dennis Hopper and, er, Victor Mature.

Sample sentence from the Wikipedia plot synopsis: 'Then the opening song plays, filling the screen with images from the film, and ending with the execution ↓ of Nguyễn Văn Lém followed by a woman screaming'.

As one might expect, Monkees fans were shocked while the hippies rejected the movie as pop trivia. It effectively ended the band's career.

Execution_of_Nguyen_Van_Lem.jpg

The execution of Nguyễn Văn Lém

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Does cliff Richard in summer holiday count 😁, or the Spice movie 

Cliff Richard AND the Shadows... let's not forget them. They've been playing their movies on the old git channel recently (aka TalkingPics TV) and should definitely act as a warning to other bands.

In one of them they jump from a moving train, throwing a Marshall valve head ahead of them... I didn't realise they were so robust!

• Like 1

Glad that Def Leppard movie was mentioned, even if it doesn’t really fit the OP’s point. Christ, what a stinky poo show it was. No surprise that the band very quickly stopped talking about it. I still remember the scene where they get back from the Pyromania tour and the drummer is literally pushing a trolley through the airport with his drum kit 😂😂😂 The whole thing was a mess, I could have done better. Maybe.

I vaguely remember All Saints made a film called ‘Honest’ that was supposed to be awful. 

I’m looking forward to watching the Foos film. I’m not expecting anything fantastic just hoping it’s fun. I’m pretty easily amused, I liked the Trnacious D film. 

Metallica'a utterly baffling Through The Never is part-concert, part-I don't know what but all rubbish. It has been a while since I saw it - only once - but there may have been some kind of small acting roles for the band members at various points. It's utterly terrible is what I'm trying to say.

Although SKOM is a documentary, and an amazing one at that, when Trujillo hears their new music for the first time and acts like it isn't complete bowel offerings is worth mentioning.