Why become a member? ×

Loads of experience, but a noob in the UK

dclaassen

I’m a 60-something bassist with 41 years in music education, a Masters from the University of North Texas, ands loads of experience playing country, rock, and jazz. I read really well, and have a great work ethic. I even take regular showers and, unlike here, try to keep my opinions to myself.

All of my experience, however, is with American groups. I have no idea how things work for us semi-pro, weekend warrior types here in the U.K., and, more specifically, in East Anglia. I would love to get on folks’ radar like I was in the Midwestern U.S., but where to start? I’m playing with a band right now that may or may not get out of the practice room. I’d like to get around folks that are a bit more experienced. 

Any thoughts?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:

I even take regular showers...

You're not Norman Bates by any chance? 🤣

Are you signed up to Facebook? Theres bound to be some group pages, musicians wanted pages, that type of thing for your area.  I don't do Facebook myself but got my current band because Mrs Bassfinger spotted a "bassist wanted" post on FB.

I’m a 60-something bassist with 41 years in music education, a Masters from the University of North Texas, ands loads of experience playing country, rock, and jazz. I read really well, and have a great work ethic. I even take regular showers and, unlike here, try to keep my opinions to myself.

All of my experience, however, is with American groups. I have no idea how things work for us semi-pro, weekend warrior types here in the U.K., and, more specifically, in East Anglia. I would love to get on folks’ radar like I was in the Midwestern U.S., but where to start? I’m playing with a band right now that may or may not get out of the practice room. I’d like to get around folks that are a bit more experienced. 

Any thoughts?

Jam nights at local pubs might be of use for building the local network.

Have you recently moved to the UK?

EastAnglia in American terms is absolutely tiny, but in UK terms covers quite a large breadth of towns.

Norwich, Ipswich, Cambridge being the big and busiest, but the coastal towns like Kings Lynn, Lowestoft etc etc will have "lots" going on and then all the other towns across the counties.

Between all these hubs there will be a fair bit of variety, but I can't say how much to keep a pro going.

It will be a bit of a slow slog to begin with getting your name around and into a position where you can pick up dep gigs.

Facebook as has already been said may be of use.

Do you have an online presence outside of social media?

Your own website for example?

It may be worth investing in one of a reasonable quality if not.

Good luck!

Any thoughts?

Where in East Anglia are you? Not exactly the rock and roll centre of the UK, but a (very good) drummer of my acquaintance does run a jam night in Ipswich on Thursdays (https://www.facebook.com/Webbys.Jam/)

10 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

You're not Norman Bates by any chance? 🤣

Are you signed up to Facebook? Theres bound to be some group pages, musicians wanted pages, that type of thing for your area.  I don't do Facebook myself but got my current band because Mrs Bassfinger spotted a "bassist wanted" post on FB.

Not Norman…sorry. I am on a dep musicians page and join my band. Good thought though…thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

Where in East Anglia are you? Not exactly the rock and roll centre of the UK, but a (very good) drummer of my acquaintance does run a jam night in Ipswich on Thursdays (https://www.facebook.com/Webbys.Jam/)

Thanks…I’m in Huntingdon, but would be willing to drive a bit

Cambridge ain’t a brilliant place for live music venues for weekend warriors, considering it’s a major University town, gigging opportunities are pretty poor.

Huntingdon had a couple of pubs that put on live bands, they are both what I call very rough places, full of trouble makers and druggies, not sure if they still have live bands at the weekends.

For getting together with a band that might go somewhere I'd start with https://www.joinmyband.co.uk/

You can filter by county.  There's an awful lot of rubbish on it but I've managed to get my last three bands from it (joined two, formed one).

For getting to know the local venues https://www.lemonrock.com/ is your best bet.

16 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Thanks…I’m in Huntingdon, but would be willing to drive a bit

Webby is a good mate of mine (helped him set this jam up when it started in all places in Saxmundham). Useful for getting to know the scene, but a bit of a hike from Huntingdon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Webby is a good mate of mine (helped him set this jam up when it started in all places in Saxmundham). Useful for getting to know the scene, but a bit of a hike from Huntingdon. 

Yea, Webby is a good bloke. I got very drunk with him once at Colne Blues Festival...! 

• Haha 1

Round my way there's a good Practice Room run by a guy who runs the stages for large events and so on. Networking and being known by the people in and around there, the people on the desk, booking the gigs and so on is a must if you're looking. Also go around the venue's that put on bands chances are musos hang out there. I know if I was putting a band together and I heard there was a Texan guy who can read music and is an experienced bassist I wouldn't forget that and I'd want to know more.