Why become a member? ×

Broken Bridge Screw - What To Do?

benebass

Hi - I recently bought a bass on here & when it turned up it was in a worse state than I expected. Most of it is fixable, but on trying to remove the bridge for a clean, one of the screws had corroded to such a degree that the head came straight off on the first turn!

Any idea how to fix this one? It's a Fender-style mount & all I can think of is drilling it out then gluing in a dowel before redrilling a hole for a new screw.

I raised it with the seller & he wasn't much help - his response was that it was a 'shame'. Damn right, eh!?! 😡

You might be able to cut a slot in the top of the remaining screw with a Dremel or similar rotary tool if it's sitting proud of the surface and try screwing it out with a flat bladed screwdriver?

Also try heating the screw with a soldering iron then letting it cool - that might free it up a bit before attempting the above.

Other than that, I guess drill, fill and redrill as you mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, benebass said:

all I can think of is drilling it out then gluing in a dowel before redrilling a hole for a new screw.

This would be my first approach. I just had the same thing happen to me on a Hipshot bridge. The repair is holding well, and, of course, is not seen.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all - I think drilling will be the answer so I'm going to take it to a luthier rather than have a blast myself. The stainless steel screws look to be a winner - great tip!

Hopefully won't be an expensive fix, but still a bit miffed the seller washed their hands on this one - not the most disastrous deal I've ever had, but not great & thankfully not typical of people on here...

Cheers! 😁👍

On 16/02/2022 at 22:43, benebass said:

... still a bit miffed the seller washed their hands on this one 

If only they'd washed their hands more when they owned it, the bridge might not be in such a saltcrust, rusty state. 😁

I'm sorry, I'm not helping am I? 

Best of luck with the repair. 

🙂👍

Edited by Maude
  • Haha 1

On 16/02/2022 at 22:43, benebass said:

Hopefully won't be an expensive fix, but still a bit miffed the seller washed their hands on this one - not the most disastrous deal I've ever had, but not great & thankfully not typical of people on here...

Cheers! 😁👍

tbf U don't think anyone checks for corroded screws before selling a bass ? Use stainless steel screws for replacement.

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2022 at 20:52, benebass said:

Hi - I recently bought a bass on here & when it turned up it was in a worse state than I expected. Most of it is fixable, but on trying to remove the bridge for a clean, one of the screws had corroded to such a degree that the head came straight off on the first turn!

Any idea how to fix this one? It's a Fender-style mount & all I can think of is drilling it out then gluing in a dowel before redrilling a hole for a new screw.

I raised it with the seller & he wasn't much help - his response was that it was a 'shame'. Damn right, eh!?! 😡

I would think drilling it out would be your best bet. StewMac sell a screw removal kit for this type of job. It’s expensive though. It’s easy enough to get a dremel, drill small holes in a circle as close to the broken screw as you can and then slowly go round the circle of holes with the dremel until you can remove the broken screw. Plug with dowel and a dab of wood glue , colour match and replace bridge hiding fix.

Stainless steel replacement screws are a good shout. I had to do the above fix on a sheared machine head screw. I was missing one machine head screw after replacing the machine heads on a bass. All the’70s screws went in fine. The modern replacement screw sheared off. As someone said made of butter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all - it's a fair point that the seller wouldn't have known & that's why I'm not trying to pursue it for reimbursement - it's more the attitude, especially as a strap button has been roughly repaired after what looks to be a knock & that wasn't called out either. Been close to a bad feedback rant, but thought better of it!

Hope to see a luthier today & fingers crossed they can sort it... 🤞

26 minutes ago, benebass said:

Been close to a bad feedback rant, but thought better of it!

Probably an idea to mention it, though.  It is kind of what the feedback system is for.  If there are folks out there who are not prepared to take any responsibility once a bass has left thier possession the rest of us would like to know.

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

Probably an idea to mention it, though.  It is kind of what the feedback system is for.  If there are folks out there who are not prepared to take any responsibility once a bass has left thier possession the rest of us would like to know.

It's a fair point, Paul. I'm on the fence on this one - I haven't explicitly asked the seller for anything to help sort this out, but equally it felt like a very dismissive response when I raised it & that's now things should work round here.

Will have a think, but not keen on having the headache of the inevitable hassle it will trigger if it can be cheaply fixed...

• Like 1