Why become a member? ×

Is your NYE gig going ahead?

Dubs

Ours is. Feel a bit weird about it to be honest - 100k+ cases every day at the moment...

It'll go ahead, genuinely not sure if it should or shouldn't.

Reasons to play:

- It's a good venue

- I'll enjoy it

- It's a nice payday (and we've missed out on a lot of those recently...)

Reasons to not play:

- 100% gonna be a super-spreader event. 

Conflicted.

How are you feeling about your NYE gigs? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dubs said:

100% gonna be a super-spreader event

Be part of the pandemic or not. I don't understand how people are willing to facilitate these events currently. 

-paragraph deleted-

I'm sorry, I have nothing positive to say. I work in a hospital.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Put your health first if you're unsure about it.

I'm vaccinated and boosted and in very low risk demographic. I don't worry so much about my health but I do worry for others and that I'm being complicit in this madness which is obviously driven by politics. 

Edited by Dubs
Typo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dubs said:

I'm vaccinated and boosted and in very low risk demographic. I don't worry so much about my health but I do worry for others and that I'm being complicit in this madness which is obviously driven by politics. 

Just because you reckon you might not suffer from it, you can still catch it and pass it on, even vaccinated and boosted, to someone who will suffer. Just how important is this gig, in the grand scheme of things?

Edited by Doctor J

9 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Just because you reckon you might not suffer from it, you can still catch it and pass it on, even vaccinated and boosted, to someone who will suffer. Don't just think of yourself here.

Yeah that's literally my concern. 

• Like 1

My gig is happening , I play bass for a living and simply can't afford not to do it , it seems crazy to me that that stuff is still on given the amount of infection and they say there's no spike in hospitalizations when's it's up 38% on Dec 21st and intensive care beds are taken up with unvaccinated patients denying others live saving transplants and the like , mad times 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

It sounds like you know what the right thing to do is.

Yep, it's really not as simple as that though. My decision affects 3 other guys financially/professionally and a sold out venue. What would have made it much easier for everyone is if the government did the right thing but unfortunately it's political and not about public health. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dubs said:

Yep, it's really not as simple as that though. My decision affects 3 other guys financially/professionally and a sold out venue. What would have made it much easier for everyone is if the government did the right thing but unfortunately it's political and not about public health. 

As far as I can tell the Omicron is pretty much endemic in the UK now. Rightly or wrongly the choice has been made to allow life to go on with minimal restrictions. Do you not still have vax passports at gigs?

I don't think you're wrong to carry on with your commitments if the unvaxxed are excluded. People who are in contact with vulnerable should know who they are by now and will be staying home. If not, Darwin's claiming their friends by proxy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dubs said:

The Omicron variant may pose more of a risk (or less, depending on the science) but Covid was always going to be circulating and gigs a risk, so I can’t see how the decision has changed much from when you accepted the gig. 

The prevailing political view seems to be that life can continue as close to normal as it can. Again, you either trust the Government or not (this isn’t the place for that discussion).

You have no moral duty to those people in the crowd, but you do to your family and friends.

Personally, I’d do all I can to limit contact at the gig, follow the rules and just get on with it. And try and enjoy it if you can!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

The Omicron variant may pose more of a risk (or less, depending on the science) but Covid was always going to be circulating and gigs a risk, so I can’t see how the decision has changed much from when you accepted the gig.

We accepted this gig in 2019... originally booked for NYE 2020 but it rolled to 2021. We've been gigging since July up to mid December so accepted the risks, but even in the last 2 weeks it feels like the covid landscape has shifted - Europe and our UK neighbours have gone into lockdown whilst we in England plough on with the highest number of positive cases day on day.

We all have a moral duty, I'm just very conflicted on this one as part of me believes we do need to eventually learn to live with covid and we can't keep going into lockdown, but in this case it's clear some level of lockdown will come into force in Jan so I'm struggling to find the logic for not bringing it in now. I feel like we're in a very grey area between what is "safe" and "unsafe", and yet again, without wanting to get too political, the advice from the government is wet and unclear. 

In my case the gig will go ahead, I just feel uneasy about the wider implications and consequences. 

9 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Disagree with all my heart

Those people have chosen to attend, it’s their free decision and unless you’re wilfully doing something reckless (like doing the gig while you’re positive or should be isolating) I really can’t see how you’re in any way to blame for what happens to others.

• Like 3

My NYE gig still on at the moment, as well as a gig at the same venue on the night before. Although I do have some doubts about whether it’s a good idea, if Xmas was anything to go by it won’t be very busy, meaning I can easily social distance with no problems. Like some others on here, this is my living and with January in the balance I feel I have to fulfil the bookings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dubs said:

We accepted this gig in 2019... originally booked for NYE 2020 but it rolled to 2021. We've been gigging since July up to mid December so accepted the risks, but even in the last 2 weeks it feels like the covid landscape has shifted - Europe and our UK neighbours have gone into lockdown whilst we in England plough on with the highest number of positive cases day on day.

We all have a moral duty, I'm just very conflicted on this one as part of me believes we do need to eventually learn to live with covid and we can't keep going into lockdown, but in this case it's clear some level of lockdown will come into force in Jan so I'm struggling to find the logic for not bringing it in now. I feel like we're in a very grey area between what is "safe" and "unsafe", and yet again, without wanting to get too political, the advice from the government is wet and unclear. 

In my case the gig will go ahead, I just feel uneasy about the wider implications and consequences. 

Totally agree on the grey area. My parents have been isolating, and had agreed to visit us. To ensure they’re safety we cancelled all social stuff and basically stayed at home for a week and tested each day to ensure we were as safe as possible.

Is it 100% risk free? No, but nothing is. We did what we could and I’m happy with that.

our gig is going ahead, much to my surprise, our regular guitarist, an anti vaxer, has Covid for the second time, but we have a backup who's played with us before.

My attitude is it's up to the individual as to whether they want to take the risk of going to the gig or not, for instance my partner who normally does to all our gigs is giving it a miss, I have a much more risk tolerant view

Ours was cancelled yesterday. Tickets had gone from more or less sold out a month ago (150ish for a restaurant, covered area outdoors so pretty covid compliant compared to other gigs I’ve done this month) to 20. It’s not worth the owner even ordering supplies let alone pay us, even at a reduced rate. I didn’t want to do it anyway- I thought it made us look self important thinking we could gig whilst risking spreading this plague, a view reinforced by the fact I’ve just had to isolate for 10 days having had it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scalpy said:

Ours was cancelled yesterday. Tickets had gone from more or less sold out a month ago (150ish for a restaurant, covered area outdoors so pretty covid compliant compared to other gigs I’ve done this month) to 20. It’s not worth the owner even ordering supplies let alone pay us, even at a reduced rate. I didn’t want to do it anyway- I thought it made us look self important thinking we could gig whilst risking spreading this plague, a view reinforced by the fact I’ve just had to isolate for 10 days having had it. 

I am guessing that would have been a lot of responsible empty nesters with elderly parents voting with their feet.

Gig still on but our drummer tested positive this afternoon and we're frantically looking for a dep. Not looking likely at this time. We missed our last gig before Xmas cos our singer was positive. Covid really is a pain.