Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott 8,10” combos

Quilly

I bought a 10” Elf combo recently… for home, rehearsal and gigs… and sold all my other amps.

I used it for rehearsals and found it to be excellent… in a large room and the gain up to 75%ish. Plenty of volume and whoomph (for me). I planned to maybe get a 10” extension cab, but not sure if I needed one for the type of gigs I would gave done.  I’ve now left the band, but don’t regret buying this.

We were playing classic rock and I loved tye effect the gain had on tone… don’t have any effects pedals. Also unbelievably light and easy to transport.

It’s also fine for home practice with the gain turned down but you might find the fan a bit loud… I’ve got used to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I bought one of the first Elf amps - so disappointed - they do not have the classic Trace tonal palette.

I accept that a class D amp is unlikely ever to compete with a classic TE but I had hoped that something with a TE logo would be close.

Have you tried winding the mid-control down?  I thought it gives a fair representation, if not perfect.

Personally, I use my 'classic' TE combo with the pre-shape switched out or playing at the dusty end is mostly inaudible.

On 11/12/2021 at 19:24, TheGreek said:

I bought one of the first Elf amps - so disappointed - they do not have the classic Trace tonal palette.

I accept that a class D amp is unlikely ever to compete with a classic TE but I had hoped that something with a TE logo would be close.

Ampeg PF's still sound like Ampegs*, so not sure why TE can't get close.

*obviously they don't sound like full fat valve monsters, but they have an Ampeg sound. Or at least my PF350 did when I put it through a 4x10 :) 

Edited by MacDaddy

5 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Ampeg PF's still sound like Ampegs*, so not sure why TE can't get close.

*obviously they don't sound like full fat valve monsters, but they have an Ampeg sound. Or at least my PF350 did when I put it through a 4x10 :) 

Here's my guess. I've owned both a PF350 and an old school Trace. While the Ampeg has more of a smooth sound that most people would still like today, the trace sound is well....its a trace sound, and I'm not sure modern players are into that anymore (I still love the sound of them BTW), so I'm guessing TE (or whoever owns them now, Peavey?) figured they'd sell more Elfs if they weren't so "Tracey"   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rich said:

They did an 8x10" combo back in the day... I'm guessing that's not quite what you're after..? :lol: 

image.thumb.png.a68fcf56c127fd6be1bc743028be650f.png

Used to cart a TE 410 combo about, back in the day, when I was young, fit and healthy.   My back just twinged looking at this. 

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 15/12/2021 at 17:14, Rich said:

They did an 8x10" combo back in the day... I'm guessing that's not quite what you're after..? :lol: 

image.thumb.png.a68fcf56c127fd6be1bc743028be650f.png

I remember some years ago, a young Basschater (probably not so young now) bought an Eden 8x10 from the BC marketplace. His parents had a Volvo estate.

• 2 months later...
On 15/12/2021 at 20:54, Steve Soar said:

The Mark King combo.

Yes indeed.

Predates MK's ascendancy by some years. I recall seeing Marianne Faithful at a festival in 1980 and her bass player was using one of these combos. He had absolutely the best sound of the day, IIRC...

• Like 1