Why become a member? ×

Copper strip on Jazz?

Bridgehouse

A quick question for the assembled...

When (if ever!) and for how long did Fender use a copper strip for earthing in between the bridge and the bridge pickup on Jazzes?

I've got one on my new Custom Shop (62 spec) and I can't seem to recall seeing one on any other. Swapping the pickups out today, there's a copper plate under each of the Bridge and Neck pickups and the strip going back to the bridge.

Anyone know anything about the history of doing this?

Pic to show you what I'm blabbing on about:

IMG_3666.jpeg

On reflection I think the strip is actually brass rather than copper. From I’ve been able to find out it was in use up to around ‘62 and presumably discontinued after that in favour of a ground wire routed through a hole. Jazz basses of that era were supplied with the huge ‘ashtray’ bridge cover which extended up to the bridge pickup and covered the strip so, aesthetically it wasn’t a problem and presumably easier to implement from a manufacturing point of view. 

Edited by Velarian
Typo
  • Like 1

This brass (or sometimes copper on the reissues) strip must be soldered to the brass (never copper) plate of the bridge pickup as it's the grounding of the bridge.

Check if there's a grounding wire under the bridge if you want to remove it as it might be purely aesthetic.

That said, it wasn't centered on the original pre 1962 Jazz Basses as it needed to run between the screws of the damping system, so I guess this one is an add-on to look like the original.

It was abandoned when Fender started putting 3 separate knobs (volume, volume, tone) instead of the 2 stacked knobs (volume, tone for each pickup) of the early Jazz Basses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Wrong question - CS pickups not quiet enough? would be better.

Swapped them for a set of Lindy Fralin split coils to eliminate hum. 

If you make a total copper shielding with each parts interconnected and the whole to the ground, you'll be amazed by the silence of the original single coils pickups and the loss of the typical Fender buzzing when not touching the strings.

People buying my basses are always amazed by their silence, but it's really simple to achieve.

• Like 2