Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2021?

Al Krow

Now that I've got used to having the Squier P + Di Marzio Model P I bought this year, I would be very miffed to lose them .... but had I not bought them I would have been content with just the BB I already had. 

The Hotone Ampero, though, instantly transformed everything, and if anything happened to it, I would be replacing it immediately. 

13891471_800.jpg

Mostly useful for the amp / cab / mic sims, but glad to have compressors and a tuner too.

PS forgot to say: it's the quality of the user interface that makes it so good. I'm sure plenty of similar boxes can produce exactly the same sounds, but this is such a breeze to program

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Now that I've got used to having the Squier P + Di Marzio Model P I bought this year, I would be very miffed to lose them .... but had I not bought them I would have been content with just the BB I already had. 

The Hotone Ampero, though, instantly transformed everything, and if anything happened to it, I would be replacing it immediately. 

13891471_800.jpg

Mostly useful for the amp / cab / mic sims, but glad to have compressors and a tuner too.

PS forgot to say: it's the quality of the user interface that makes it so good. I'm sure plenty of similar boxes can produce exactly the same sounds, but this is such a breeze to program

Quality of user interface / ease of workflow is a great reason to rate a piece of gear highly. Been a big reason why I've abandoned a couple of pedal brands even though they are actually better sonically. For me a piece of kit that is a PITA to programme ends up not getting used to anything like its potential. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Tapewound strings (D'Addario Nylon XL) have been great - exactly the sort of sound and feel I've been after. They've probably changed my playing style more than any Bass or effect pedal has. 

I'm a tapewound convert too...a warmer tone and softer feel make playing an absolute joy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

You know, that’s not a bad shout. It would be better at that than it is at its primary  purpose 😬

That's gonna take some beating as the 'worst' purchase of the year!! And it's only day 1 of this thread...nice sunset though! 

• Like 1

Has to be a provisional answer as I'm waiting for some out of stock items, but this pairing:

1929140531_BassTerrorandGRBassAR212Slim.thumb.jpg.5a5d3fb0d16a6a050a9e8a7dfce246ed.jpg

Worst purchase was the Stagg 1/4" jack to speakon cable, the jack is about 2mm short and the vibration causes it to self-eject from my Elf causing trouser-browning silence...

• Like 1

Bass related, I got the Amphion FlexBase25 system for my studio, it's a stereo sub with bass management that turns my One18 near fields into a full range monitor system, it's spectacularly good, solves the LF issue in my small room studio.

Not cheap, worth every penny.

IMG_6540.jpeg

DSC_0005.jpeg

• Like 4

Best: A pair of KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs and a Behringer headphone amp. My first step into the world of in-ear monitoring and a game-changer for me. 

Honourable mention too for my Vox Amplug headphone amp - not the best made piece of kit in the world but invaluable for me playing at home.

Worst: Honestly nothing - a few bits I haven’t got round to using yet, but nothing that’s actually bad.  

7 hours ago, Geek99 said:

So you’re horse-afflicted also ?

Yep. Mrs Mert has the horses; I just happened to be the wallet to pay for that. And then pay to get it through an MOT. And soon will pay to get the bodywork touched up in various places. Definitely not the best purchase of the year 😅