Why become a member? ×

Hagstrom Swede

Frank Blank

A little guitar emporium has opened up right at the top of my street! This little beauty is in the window, I certainly like the look of it and thought I'd consult the BC hive mind before Googling it. I love the look of it but have never heard of a Hagstrom Swede bass before. I'm going to page @Bassassin because... well, because it's the done thing. 😀

1711892099_HagstromSwede.thumb.jpeg.5873419540db368e1c4d928f344fe4d2.jpeg

• Like 2

Had one which I sold to @Howie (link at bottom of post).

I really liked it, very versatile with a lovely 'woody' tone. It's an indepent volume/tone per pickup (with coil splits by lifting the tone knobs), then the upper switch does pickup selection, whilst the lower is a filter, which cuts high and mid frequencies to get that more vintage 'thumpy' tone you'd associate with flatwounds, at the flick of a switch.

Hardware was great quality for the money, I never considered upgrading anything (about the only guitar/bass I've ever had like that). I paid about £500 new (although as it came without a box, it was probably ex-demo/display), although it was a particularly good deal. If I could justify another bass, I'd get a Hagstrom Viking without a shadow of a doubt.

Only thing that stands out for me about the one in your photo is the control knobs - I believe they come with 'speed knobs' (like mine) currently, so whether that's old stock, or they've changed I'm not sure.

Edited by Marvin_
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

A little guitar emporium has opened up right at the top of my street! This little beauty is in the window, I certainly like the look of it and thought I'd consult the BC hive mind before Googling it. I love the look of it but have never heard of a Hagstrom Swede bass before. I'm going to page @Bassassin because... well, because it's the done thing. 😀

1711892099_HagstromSwede.thumb.jpeg.5873419540db368e1c4d928f344fe4d2.jpeg

What’s the bass hang up? P/MM with thr MM like the Delano hybrid system and a truss wheel?

6 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Rutger Gunnarson of ABBA had input To it think 

If you read the website, he had input on the Super Swede.

The same page also tells you that they stopped producing guitars in Sweden in the 80s, so although based on their original Swedish designs, these probably aren't as Swedish as you might think....

Just now, Huge Hands said:

If you read the website, he had input on the Super Swede.

The same page also tells you that they stopped producing guitars in Sweden in the 80s, so although based on their original Swedish designs, these probably aren't as Swedish as you might think....

They are now made in China.

I’ve recently looked into getting a Super Swede for an ABBA tribute has yet to get up and running.

One of the songs that we’ll have in the set is this one performed by our very own @cetera.

Gary was kind enough to share his thoughts on the bass (I know it’s a different model) and I’ll definitely be buying one if the band gets legs.

@Frank Blank - do you know if they have other Hagstrom basses in the shop. I’d love to play a Super Swede if they have one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I'm going to page @Bassassin because... well, because it's the done thing. 😀

Don't know much about Hagstroms but I've been to Stockholm & I like ABBA & Opeth, so that's a start, at least. I also once placed a sneaky bid on an original Super Swede that the seller had no clue about & looked like it might sneak under the radar - think it ended up selling for the price of a small semi-detached in Croydon. If I'd won it for £95 I might have an opinion of some consequence, I suppose, but this does look interesting, as does the SS reissue.

Didn't someone on here have a Hagstrom Beluga a few years ago? Cool-looking singlecut thing, doesn't look like they make it any more.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I lusted after an original Super Swede after seeing the photo of some old farter playing one , see below.  I liked the binding, which looks not too dissimilar to an Aerodyne  -

( some had bindings i think  ?  )

Then they re-issued them but still prefer the old one

SSBass2.thumb.jpg.0a1ce7b5b0e947cc9170b2735d5f4fd5.jpg

sswede.thumb.jpg.236a7a2c7bbaf1536027185159bc7d84.jpg

On 06/01/2022 at 13:27, Llaw69 said:

Does anybody own one of these modern swede basses, are they good?

Apparently they've got a wide variety of tones.

I will have to travel a long way to try one out.

The double humbucker model with coil tapping?

Somewhat versatile.

Quite a few basses out there that are morseo.

Sorry, completely off the radar, and I'm a guy who doesn't just stick to P or J basses.

Not worth the drive.

(Looks good, though.)

th.jpeg-45.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk