Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

At the risk of repeating myself, I thought the Dave Swift interview was a massive step in the right direction... it had a depth to it that has been lacking recently. The embarrasing Geddy Lee article and the Flea copy & paste job spring to mind....

It's definitely a start!

[quote name='urb' post='506704' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:45 PM']Hey guys

I just wanted to say I'm keeping up with this thread (just) and have been passing bits of info onto Nick, and hopefully the feedback you've all been given will result in more new ideas filtering through into the mag. I agree with the general comments about the gear reviews, so if there's a way to make them more credible then I think that's worth pursuing. To be honest I'm so busy with other stuff all this is really in the hands of Nick and the publishers, but I'd love to see it keep improving too.

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

A column similar to Rich Appleman's theory column in the early days of Bass Player would be fantastic.

I just wanted to say I'm keeping up with this thread (just) and have been passing bits of info onto Nick, and hopefully the feedback you've all been given will result in more new ideas filtering through into the mag. I agree with the general comments about the gear reviews, so if there's a way to make them more credible then I think that's worth pursuing. To be honest I'm so busy with other stuff all this is really in the hands of Nick and the publishers, but I'd love to see it keep improving too.

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Call me a little backward but wouldn't it be a lot better instead of relaying information to Nick, to give him the URL of at least this thread so he can see this stuff from the horse's mouth so to speak. I know if I was an editor of a magazine for which there is a lot of criticism and advice being given on a related forum, I would want to see it with my own eyes. In addition, it gives Nick the chance to interact with the guys coming up with the ideas originally.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='506773' date='Jun 6 2009, 02:32 AM']Call me a little backward but wouldn't it be a lot better instead of relaying information to Nick, to give him the URL of at least this thread so he can see this stuff from the horse's mouth so to speak. I know if I was an editor of a magazine for which there is a lot of criticism and advice being given on a related forum, I would want to see it with my own eyes. In addition, it gives Nick the chance to interact with the guys coming up with the ideas originally.[/quote]

Er, yes. that's what I've done.

M

[quote name='birdy' post='506052' date='Jun 5 2009, 02:44 AM']Yes thanks for commenting Janek. I know you were put off posting on this forum due to some negative vibes but I think the majority on here welcome your input and advice.

Steve[/quote]

+1

I bought it for the first time this month in a bid to make up my own mind. It was okay, Franc O Shea's column told me something I really didnt realise. However the review writers [i]badly [/i]need to use a spell checker.

Question: they give away free strings with a subscription - are only .45's available? I use lights

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='gwizmon' post='506070' date='Jun 5 2009, 12:57 AM']I would certainly welcome ideas from people about topics to cover in my column as I'm sure any of the other writers for the magazine would too.[/quote]

+1, Janek. Another writer here following this thread.

I'm the 'Stateside' contributor, and personally would love to see BGM competing with BP over here. Been doing my best to contribute to BGM (recent Jamerson profile, Will Lee interview, Bass Of Doom update, and cool Roger Sadowsky interview in next issue). I'm very much open to suggestions for interviews (we have a few good bassists over here!), and anything else of interest to BGM readers.

This is an excellent thread.

Rick

Cheers

Mike[/quote]
The gear reviews, IMHO, are generally too polite and don't get critical enough. I know that there is a reluctance to disenfranchise the all important advertisers. However, BGM is never going get that street-cred if it carries on this way. Maybe there's a way round it? In the printed version, some Reader comments could be invited and if they are negative then it's not the mag that's saying it. Also, if the mag ever gets properly online, then subscribers could post reviews, which can call a spade a spade.

But let's hope BGM does improve as I for one enjoy getting it and am mighty sad when I run out of pages. It's great to see glossy photo's and get the new gear announcements. And +1 to revive the Weekend Warriors and all else that connects us everyday non-professionals.

[quote name='suchow' post='508507' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:14 PM']+1, Janek. Another writer here following this thread.

I'm the 'Stateside' contributor, and personally would love to see BGM competing with BP over here. Been doing my best to contribute to BGM (recent Jamerson profile, Will Lee interview, Bass Of Doom update, and cool Roger Sadowsky interview in next issue). I'm very much open to suggestions for interviews (we have a few good bassists over here!), and anything else of interest to BGM readers.

Rick[/quote]

Hello Rick, the Jamerson piece was excellent and I've never been a fan.

If you could interview Scott Thunes, I would probably want to lick you all over.

[quote name='silddx' post='504654' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:33 PM']Me too, dreadful hideous album. Have we gone back to the bloody '80s?[/quote]

It's an unpretentious, well executed, good-time, nostalgia trip. If you're looking for a message or anything ground-breaking then I suggest people look elsewhere.

Dreadful and hideous? Take a chill pill... :)

[quote name='suchow' post='508507' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:14 PM']+1, Janek. Another writer here following this thread.

Rick[/quote]

Yes - I thought that the Jamerson profile was particularly strong. Luthier interviews sound interesting - Roger Sadowsky sounds like a good interview - looking forward to seeing that.

Are you based in New York or do you get to travel around the states a lot - the LA scene would be an interesting scene to explore. Whilst in LA, I've seen some pretty high profile bass players in really small intimate venues - baked potato in studio city springs to mind.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='508867' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:43 AM']Yes - I thought that the Jamerson profile was particularly strong. Luthier interviews sound interesting - Roger Sadowsky sounds like a good interview - looking forward to seeing that.

Are you based in New York or do you get to travel around the states a lot - the LA scene would be an interesting scene to explore. Whilst in LA, I've seen some pretty high profile bass players in really small intimate venues - baked potato in studio city springs to mind.[/quote]

Thanks regarding JJ piece... yes, I'm based in NYC and don't get out of this place too often. However, I will be in LA end of January, so I'll keep your suggestion in mind, thanks for that.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the latest one today. For my money, the best issue yet. Good interviews, now a million miles from "where do you get your ideas?" predictability. And thankfully, none of the reviews contained the phrase "dialling in"..! :) Keep it up guys.

[quote name='Doddy' post='528088' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:33 PM']The new issue is the best one in ages.[/quote]
[quote name='Rich' post='528059' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:05 PM']Just got the latest one today. For my money, the best issue yet.[/quote]

it would be as my subscription has just lapsed :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='528128' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:10 PM']it would be as my subscription has just lapsed :)[/quote]

Mine too, just before this new one. Is it worth resubscribing? I can't get loose copies in Sweden, so I'd need to subscribe to test it out.

Working my way through the new one in little chunks when I have time. Three things have hit me so far:
[list=1]
[*][b]Overwater giveaway![/b]
[*]In the article about Janek, it mentions influences from Debussy and "Foray". I can only assume it means Gabriel [b]Fauré[/b], and not, for example, the French economist Dominique Foray. Just a tiny bit of musical background knowledge required on the part of the writer... :rolleyes: Enforced GCSE Music for all BGM writers?
[*]In the article about Christian McBride, there's a box titled "Duffy's Gear". Why? There's no mention that I can find of the name Duffy in the rest of the article, so it doesn't seem to be a nickname for McBride. Has he played for Duffy, everyone's least favourite cat-wailing Welsh songstress? Doesn't get mentioned. Copy & paste error?
[/list]
Anyhoo, nit-picking aside, I think it's pretty good so far. The interview with Janek's really interesting. Only thing is, I've had a quick glance ahead to the reviews, and yet again it's basses way out of my price-league. Aspirational, maybe; relevant to most, no. At least one sub-£500 bass per issue would be great.

Like Rich says, keep it up. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='528385' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:59 AM']Working my way through the new one in little chunks when I have time. Three things have hit me so far:
[list=1]
[*][b]Overwater giveaway![/b]
[*]In the article about Janek, it mentions influences from Debussy and "Foray". I can only assume it means Gabriel [b]Fauré[/b], and not, for example, the French economist Dominique Foray. Just a tiny bit of musical background knowledge required on the part of the writer... :rolleyes: Enforced GCSE Music for all BGM writers?
[*]In the article about Christian McBride, there's a box titled "Duffy's Gear". Why? There's no mention that I can find of the name Duffy in the rest of the article, so it doesn't seem to be a nickname for McBride. Has he played for Duffy, everyone's least favourite cat-wailing Welsh songstress? Doesn't get mentioned. Copy & paste error?
[/list]
Anyhoo, nit-picking aside, I think it's pretty good so far. The interview with Janek's really interesting. Only thing is, I've had a quick glance ahead to the reviews, and yet again it's basses way out of my price-league. Aspirational, maybe; relevant to most, no. At least one sub-£500 bass per issue would be great.

Like Rich says, keep it up. :)[/quote]

I haven't seen the issue yet (I'm on holiday) but I have no idea why there's any mention of Duffy on the gear box on the McBride feature, I'll try and find out... :lol:

M