Why become a member? ×

Charlie Watts puts a dep in with the Stones

casapete

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

here are bassists out there who can play Jaco's first album note for note but can't hold down a Root-Fifth with any feel. 

I would like to hear examples of these bass players that can't hold down a root fifth whilst being able to faithfully reproduce Jaco's material.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

I would like to hear examples of these bass players that can't hold down a root fifth whilst being able to faithfully reproduce Jaco's material.

I auditioned about four of them a few years back when I was switching to fiddle :)

• Haha 2

I have absolutely no doubt that Charlie Watts has feel when he drums. That isn't in question but what I find incredible is that people think that Neil Peart couldn't play with feeling. Like all he did was hit drums hard and fast. Im sorry guys but that to me is incredible.

• Like 3

Steve Jordan has the deepest pocket, he’s so good. A perfect dep for Charlie. Daryl Jones is going to love it (I assume he’s still has the Stone’s bass chair). Check out Steve Jordan’s work with the John Mayer Trio; sublime.

• Like 1

Just now, ubit said:

I have absolutely no doubt that Charlie Watts has feel when he drums. That isn't in question but what I find incredible is that people think that Neil Peart couldn't play with feeling. Like all he did was hit drums hard and fast. Im sorry guys but that to me is incredible.

He could play with Neil Peart feeling. That isn't Charlie Watts feeling.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ubit said:

No one said Peart couldn't play with feeling, just that he has the wrong feel for a gig which is apparently easy to dep for.

I genuinely hope Charlie recovers soon from his operation. The lead singer in my last band washes Charlie's windows and Mr Watts is a genuinely nice guy. Our singer actually gave him complimentary tickets for the gig we did at our local arts centre...this was in return for the VIP tickets he gave our singer for the Stones concert in Cardiff a few years back. Unfortunately Charlie doesn't venture out much so he didn't come to the gig, not that we really expected him to, he'd have just been mobbed by the audience.

I think Steve Jordan is absolutely the right drummer to step in for Charlie. Picking a name that's known for being exceptional in A band doesn't mean they'd be right for playing in another band. They've got to have the right feel for that band to make it work for the players involved and ultimately the audience. I've always said, just because you put some decent players in a room together doesn't mean the end result will always work.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Is it not a hard gig to dep? It's not just about playing the parts. They need someone who can not only play the parts but also cop the right feel, who can perform at a high level in front of thousands of people every night, and can handle the pressures of touring at that level. That's why they've chosen one of the best in the business.

No offence to Neil Peart, but I think he'd have struggled on the Stones gig.

I think you’re right, it’s not so much what you hit on their material but how it’s hit. Rather like the old Cliff Williams & AC/DC thing, takes discipline to hang back and provide a constant rhythm. 

Charlie is a tidy drummer himself, but above that he's incredibly disciplined at resisting the temptation to play out. There are lots of great players with similar discipline at that level who could sit in for him though - I doubt the Stones needed to scrounge around to find someone to play Bill Wyman's parts after all. Darryl is probably only firing on half cylinders most evenings but he does what's needed. 

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 1

I play in a covers band, or at least I did play in a covers band. We covered all styles, rock, country, pop (ish) and traditional. We had to capture every style and feel and people said we were good. We are doing that at pub level and people are saying it can't be done at professional level.

6 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Charlie is a tidy drummer himself, but above that he's incredibly disciplined at resisting the temptation to play out. There are lots of great players with similar discipline at that level who could sit in for him though - I doubt the Stones needed to scrounge around to find someone to play Bill Wyman's parts after all. Darryl is probably only firing on half cylinders most evenings but he does what's needed. 

always been quite impressed by Bill's bassline on I Wanna Be Your Man

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

I play in a covers band, or at least I did play in a covers band. We covered all styles, rock, country, pop (ish) and traditional. We had to capture every style and feel and people said we were good. We are doing that at pub level and people are saying it can't be done at professional level.

It can be done on a professional level, but not every player is suitable for every gig.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm not a drummer, but I also know there's a hell of a lot more to it than hitting things in time.

But that is a hell of a start!

On the other hand, I have heard many cover bands do stones songs well, and when they haven't it has always been the guitars or the vocals.

17 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Where’s the ‘Can’t work out if being serious’ meme when you need it? 😄

Your argument seems to be you are wrong and I won't hear anymore about it. I happen to think that a MASTER of drums could capture swing. The whole argument has evolved anyway as Neil's  statement was about the effort it took to play a Rush gig as opposed to a Stones gig. Swing was added and I went with it. I have been to Rush gigs and Neils drum solo was a display of differing styles and feel. Laterally, he finished with playing along to a big band tune which required quite a lot of swing.

• Like 1

Just now, ubit said:

Your argument seems to be you are wrong and I won't hear anymore about it. I happen to think that a MASTER of drums could capture swing. The whole argument has evolved anyway as Neil's  statement was about the effort it took to play a Rush gig as opposed to a Stones gig. Swing was added and I went with it. I have been to Rush gigs and Neils drum solo was a display of differing styles and feel. Laterally, he finished with playing along to a big band tune which required quite a lot of swing.

My argument is that NP could not play Stones tunes like Charlie. It's that simple.

I appreciate you're a massive NP fanboi (as am I), but I don't believe he's the master of all genres. Music is more complicated than that.

• Like 1