Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

A gentle ditty before I hit the hay. Sugar was formed by Bob Mould following the demise of Husker Du.  The debut album Copper Blue is a bit of a gem but for me the Beaster EP is their best effort, with this track guaranteed to blow your heads off. Play at volume 11!

• Like 4

I've adored Shudder To Think for 25 years.  This footage is an unedited thing from MTVs 120 Minutes.  I just adore the silence and then the power. 

This is arguably the best line up, Nathan Larson on guitar, Adam Wade on drums.  Stuart Hill is a highly underrated bassist.  You're going to either love or hate Craig Wedren's falsetto vocals; there's no median.

This clip is 28 minutes of joy for me...

Edited by NancyJohnson
Speling. Chubby finger syndrome.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrBen said:

My first gig, aged 14, was the 'Are you normal' tour. Still have the signed t-shirt somewhere :D

I love Ned’s. Been to see them many times. Last time was a couple of years ago with The Wonder Stuff, or Pop Will Eat Itself they’ve done tours with both in recent years. 

FEAF1F15-5035-4BCA-8FB2-321DD25E049C.thumb.jpeg.4b4b6289b0e0ba94515dc67cd8755704.jpeg

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Had these bands actually existed I thinks a fair few would have had a deserved place in this thread:

image.png.600b86769b703aa0f92e4f8c52b7d57c.png

Pretty hacked off at having missed out on the opportunity to get to know the music of The Crucifixion Pyjamas. I bet Semi-Detached Kitten Asylum were perfect for getting a bleary-eyed festival crowd going. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've adored Sudder To Think for 25 years.  This footage is an unedited thing from MTVs 120 Minutes.  I just adore the silence and then the power. 

This is arguably the best line up, Nathan Larson on guitar, Adam Wade on drums.  Stuart Hill is a highly underrated bassist.  You're going to either love or hate Craig Wedren's falsetto vocals; there's no median.

This clip is 28 minutes of joy for me...

Not really heard these guys before, really liked it thanks Nancy. The guitar tones are great!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bassybert said:

Not really heard these guys before, really liked it thanks Nancy. The guitar tones are great!

I would wholeheartedly recommend some of the stuff band members have recorded elsewhere. 

Nathan Larson is the way to go; he recorded as Mind Science of The Mind (quirky angular post-hardcore) and the quite wonderful Hot One (kind of 70s influenced glam-metal, very sweary); there's also a white-soulboy solo record called Jealous God.  He's also written three excellent books too (The Dewey Decimal System, The Nervous System, The Immune System). 

Craig Wedren's is seemingly carrying the STT with his solo work.  It's all nice and weird.

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

After four pages it's about time for Birkenhead's finest, Half Man Half Biscuit. Too many greats to choose from  but let's kick things off with 

I see your "Joy Division Oven Gloves" and raise you "Nick Cave Dolls"

22 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I just posted this in the 'best gigs' thread. But I reckon it deserves a cross-post here:

image.png.ed515844e575d8924d6d810688680bb3.png

Unfortunately I don't remember much of it, but I do remember buying two singles by the all-female Swiss band Kleenex. Here's one of them.

I was there! Great gig!  Summer 1980, the sun was shining and every band was worth seeing.  

We were spoilt for choice in London at that time.  Wednesday evening Sounds and NME would come out and I would scour the gig pages to see what was on and would limit myself to just two or three gigs per week as that was all I could afford or didn't want to go to bed at 1:00 a.m. too often as I had a job.

I remember wishing I had been born just a year or two earlier so I could have seen the Sex Pistols but thinking back, I was a teenager at just the right time in just the right place.

• Like 2