Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

I saw Bauhaus for the first time in 1980 (around the time when Terror Couple Kill Colonel came out) when they played the Ad-Lib Club in Nottingham (later to be The Garage). A properly mad gig. The "stage" was only about 1 foot higher than the rest of the venue and to get to it from the "dressing room" the band had to get through the audience first. Peter Murphy spent most of the performance inflicting violence upon anyone in the front row of the audience. They opened with a fantastic version of Bela Lugosi's Dead (the only time I saw them perform it live) and closed with Dark Entries, then band literally leaping into the audience at the end and were gone before anyone realised it was over. No encore. I saw them on every other occasion that they played in Nottingham or Derby over the next 3 years, but none of the other gigs matched that level of intensity.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Here's some pre-punk that, had it come out a few years after punk would have been firmly post-punk, then again if it came out today it would still be as fresh as a daisy...

The synrh band I was in during the 80s used to cover this. 

• Like 2