Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

2 hours ago, simisker said:

Yay - finally :)

Well, yeah - it's better than the old one. But I think we all know how low that bar was.

If you're reading this, BassDirect guys: it's probably a good idea to change your login URL from the default Wordpress one ;)

😂😂😂

IMG_1624.gif

• Haha 1

I really liked the old website, I'm glad I sold my basses through them with that previous used basses page, which put all the range in front of the buyers faces. Endless scrolling is boring af, as is faffing about with filters. Anyway, the world's now got what the world wanted, I hope it'll consider whining a bit less.

• Like 3

Bought and sold with Bass Direct, always found them to be very good.  Its my go to shop.  i bought a second hand cab from them which got damaged in transit.  I got a quote of around £50 to repair it, I picked up the PHONE and told them, sent some pictures, they refunded £50 straight away.

Edited by Royaly T

1 hour ago, woodyratm said:

New site is better, though still quite slow. Maybe backend infrastructure needs upped. 

Probably skimped on the SQL DTU but I expect the web dev company has made a suggestion on that, its Cloud based so scaling should be very easy. I'm popping down there tomorrow and will feedback as was OK for me during my unofficial UAT. I made a few suggestions regarding the filters but they are as I saw it a few weeks ago.

9 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

This is the page I find most useful - https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/about-us/our-brands/

Agreed - it has actual context around each brand and isn't just a list of gear that doesn't give any insight as to where it's from, or what's good about it (e.g GuitarGuitar).

12 minutes ago, Machines said:

Probably skimped on the SQL DTU but I expect the web dev company has made a suggestion on that, its Cloud based so scaling should be very easy. I'm popping down there tomorrow and will feedback as was OK for me during my unofficial UAT. I made a few suggestions regarding the filters but they are as I saw it a few weeks ago.

Agreed - it has actual context around each brand and isn't just a list of gear that doesn't give any insight as to where it's from, or what's good about it (e.g GuitarGuitar).

To be fair, I wonder if they’ll have as much traffic going forward. Maybe the excitement of the new site will subside and it’ll be fine. Not like it’s actually failing, it was just a bit laggy. 

23 minutes ago, sammybee said:

Did he make the website himself? It's marginally better than the old one but still looks like it's from circa 2015 rather than something from 2023.

Somethings you can/should DIY - an ecommerce website? nah you should leave that to a pro

nope. its woocommerce in wordpress....

...which makes me question... why did that take so long?

1 hour ago, Machines said:

A problem I found was using filters to go down to (in this case) a pre-owned bass, then using the location line

Home > Bass Guitars > Pre-Owned Basses > AGH Alice 6-String Walnut – Pre-Owned

clicking on Pre-owned Basses, at which point only "Sort by" and "Brands" are available, and not any other filters.

55 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've only had a brief glance, but the Pre-Owned basses seem to have a weight specified. IMO that's a great step forward.

Although the units aren't specified, you have to make an assumption on that. For all we know, it might be groats and furlongs.

I find it to harder to navigate around quickly on this new site. I actually used to value being able to see thumbnails at a glance on the old site to have a quick scan of new items, I don’t think that’s possible anymore. Some more shortcuts to filters on the landing pages for accessories like strings would help. “Show me all 4 string sets” or something. When I open strings I get 8 pages of results and a massive number of filters, it’s overwhelming tbh. I open it and click away as it feels like too much work to find my way around. 

• Sad 1

Looks good on desktop, but the items are a bit too big on mobile, 1 per line. Anyway, it's better - and I don't envy them having to do it and deal with all the experts who come out of the woodwork with an opinion lol.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ped said:

Looks good on desktop, but the items are a bit too big on mobile, 1 per line. Anyway, it's better - and I don't envy them having to do it and deal with all the experts who come out of the woodwork with an opinion lol.

Punters aren't experts. But at the end of the day, they are the people you've got to please in terms of experience. So in this case, their opinions may count more (or at least as much as) the experts. Experts aren't the target buyers, the punters are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Punters aren't experts. But at the end of the day, they are the people you've got to please in terms of experience. So in this case, their opinions may count more (or at least as much as) the experts. Experts aren't the target buyers, the punters are.

Yeah I know, I just know the feeling of launching something then everyone weighing in, even if it's useful and well meaning it can be a bit of a deluge! 😆

It was always going to be the case given the build up!

For me, Im not mad keen on the layout (I thought the last site was quite good to navigate, just looked gash and some of the copy was sloppy - that's why I find the cut and copy without the links frustrating. Ultimately, it's of no real concern to me though, just things like that comes across as a bit sloppy, thats all... I like attention to the details, especially if it's reflected in the way the business in question operates)

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 2