Jump to content

Pino Palladino's solo album


BassAgent
 Share

Recommended Posts

So Pino Palladino's releasing a solo album in March, and he has released the first single last week, it's called "Just Wrong", here's the studio version:

But today, a live version of that composition surfaced on the YouTubes. Pino on his fretless Stingray with Blake Mills and Sem Gendel. And I can't express how much I love Pino's playing in this video. Look at those HUGE hands. Listen to how he handles harmonics. Check out the brilliant arrangement, both in composition and sounds between the musicians. What an amazing piece of art.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An interesting array of amplification there, certainly devoid of any bass specific ones I could make out.

The size of Pino’s hands is incredible, easily 50% bigger than mine, probably more. It does seem that there are more virtuoso bass and guitar players with large hands and long, delicate fingers, than those with a bunch of sausages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ezbass said:

An interesting array of amplification there, certainly devoid of any bass specific ones I could make out.

The size of Pino’s hands is incredible, easily 50% bigger than mine, probably more. It does seem that there are more virtuoso bass and guitar players with large hands and long, delicate fingers, than those with a bunch of sausages.

I think the Deluxe is Pino's amp here (as @Steve Browning points out), the Titano (Magnatone subbrand) might also add, but I think that belongs to Blake Mills. The tweed Fender and the small Kalamazoo amps are probably guitar or sax amps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see a berimbau mentioned .
We have a large Portuguese community here and a couple of summers back a Capoeira group used to meet in the park at weekends . One guy was playing a berimbau so I asked a Portuguese guitarist friend of mine about it and he explained that it was common to make your own out of driftwood from the Brazilian beach , fencing wire , a coffee tin and pebbles .
The next time I visited him he had made one from a garden cane , a guitar string , a margarine tub ,cable ties , a Kinder egg with rice in for the shaker , a chopstick and a 50pence piece so I had a play on it . Fascinating .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really interesting to see/hear both these versions. I love the arrangement of the original and (from within my own frame of reference), I couldn't help feeling that there was a certain amount of influence from Claus Ogerman. I'm also with @DaveFry re the Berimbau. I've always loved Latin percussion instruments and have been mightily impressed seeing the likes of Airto Moreira and Nana Vasconcelos, in particular, work their magic on these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I think the Deluxe is Pino's amp here (as @Steve Browning points out), the Titano (Magnatone subbrand) might also add, but I think that belongs to Blake Mills. The tweed Fender and the small Kalamazoo amps are probably guitar or sax amps.

Sorry. The Deluxe belongs to my friend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BassAgent said:

So Pino Palladino's releasing a solo album in March, and he has released the first single last week, it's called "Just Wrong", here's the studio version:

But today, a live version of that composition surfaced on the YouTubes. Pino on his fretless Stingray with Blake Mills and Sem Gendel. And I can't express how much I love Pino's playing in this video. Look at those HUGE hands. Listen to how he handles harmonics. Check out the brilliant arrangement, both in composition and sounds between the musicians. What an amazing piece of art.

 

Love that! (live performance). Thank you so much for posting/sharing...

Edited by Old Man Riva
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaveFry said:

a garden cane, a guitar string, a margarine tub, cable ties, a Kinder egg with rice in, a chopstick and a 50 pence piece 

"...and today on Ready Steady Cook..."

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

An interesting array of amplification there, certainly devoid of any bass specific ones I could make out.

The size of Pino’s hands is incredible, easily 50% bigger than mine, probably more. It does seem that there are more virtuoso bass and guitar players with large hands and long, delicate fingers, than those with a bunch of sausages.

I'm sure he's got an  extra set of joints in his fingers 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/02/2021 at 14:23, EJWW said:

Just beautiful.

The camerawork was atrocious though, why is it necessary to zoom in on eyeballs and feet?

Philistine. It's art, innit?

:lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There comes a time when a musician gets so good that they go over the edge and start playing with odd instruments. Like when Dave Weckl started using bongos. I think this is a good example of pushing the envelope too far. It’s not for me!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...