Why become a member? ×

Scammer - Facebook Marketplace

fabbabass

On 16/01/2022 at 19:11, Maude said:

Is the band in the above link supposed to be Smethurst's band, or Mason's? 

Whichever it is this is taken from the band images from the above link, lurking behind one of 'Take That' playing bass. 

This is 100% Mick Mason. 

nlNEbqv.jpeg

hang on.... so is that guy smethurst or mason???

If this is the same person who was previously convicted of fraud in Loughborough Magistrates Court on or around 15th January 2020, is it coincidence that this recent activity coincides with the expiry of his two-year suspended prison sentence?

However, surely the police who dealt with the original prosecution would be interested to learn that he's returned to his nefarious ways? Also, Leicestershire Trading Standards were involved in that prosecution, perhaps it would be worth contacting them?

• Like 1

On 21/02/2022 at 17:05, Velarian said:

If this is the same person who was previously convicted of fraud in Loughborough Magistrates Court on or around 15th January 2020, is it coincidence that this recent activity coincides with the expiry of his two-year suspended prison sentence?

However, surely the police who dealt with the original prosecution would be interested to learn that he's returned to his nefarious ways? Also, Leicestershire Trading Standards were involved in that prosecution, perhaps it would be worth contacting them?

He was scamming last year in December and before that I believe. I thought Trading Standards only are interested in businesses not private sellers on the likes of Facebook but worth a look, thanks.

14 minutes ago, martthebass said:

What secret mountain top HQ.....is there something I should know 😒

Oops, sorry, yes that's right.

*ahem*

NO, OF COURSE THERE IS NO SECRET HQ. THERE IS NO CHAMPAGNE OR CAVIAR. 

;)

Phew. Nearly gave the game away there.

• Haha 1

On 21/02/2022 at 17:05, Velarian said:

On 28/02/2022 at 09:54, bennywoods said:

John finney is his new alias or co conspirator,  thanks for the details regarding his previous convictions, I want his head on a spike!!

BAC2ACD9-5FAB-4AC1-9540-4E845B3F084C.jpeg

Is there any basis for Smethurst and Mason being the same person other than the 12 in an email in one of the early posts on this thread?

Looks like all the recent scams has been Matthew (Matt) Smethurst using the name Mike Smethurst, various email addresses (including James Smethurst) and a PayPal account under the name of John Finney

On 20/01/2021 at 22:04, fabbabass said:

As an update to fellow Chatters, the guy coordinating the FB victims (Steve Ripley), informed me that a few more people have been in touch with him and that another has filed a report with the Fraud portal for Cheshire Police.

If you have been ripped-off, please file reports adding as much detail as you can.

Thank you.

Do you have any more info on this please? Im also getting a list together, will also contact Steve Ripley, cheers

7 hours ago, Tom Leach said:

Is there any basis for Smethurst and Mason being the same person other than the 12 in an email in one of the early posts on this thread?

Looks like all the recent scams has been Matthew (Matt) Smethurst using the name Mike Smethurst, various email addresses (including James Smethurst) and a PayPal account under the name of John Finney

I asked same awhile ago. Crickets.

Even if the photo backgrounds turn out to be the same it wouldn't prove anything.

SURELY A PAYPAL EMAIL CAN BE FOLLOWED BY AUTHORITIES TO AN ACTUAL BANK ACCOUNT TO AN ACTUAL KNOBHEAD?

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

SURELY A PAYPAL EMAIL CAN BE FOLLOWED BY AUTHORITIES TO AN ACTUAL BANK ACCOUNT TO AN ACTUAL KNOBHEAD?

I'm sure the answer must be yes, but PayPal have a challenge here, and won't want to make that easy. While a fraudulent seller is definitely leading buyers to pay this way, using "friends and family" for purchases is surely a breach of their service agreement in which the victim is sadly made complicit. So, they have zero motivation to investigate, as it would imply legitimate use and a requirement for payer/buyer protection. As far as I can see, the only obvious benefit to PayPal to facilitate "friends and family" is to generate useage, awareness, traffic and transactions, as (unless I'm being dumb here) it has no direct income value. They'd probably argue they have no responsibility to provide fraud protection and are more likely to reinforce what its misuse means, or maybe simply stop offering the service. Whether anyone has the power to force PayPal to reveal the attached bank account to a PayPal account is a completely different matter.... 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

Whether anyone has the power to force PayPal to reveal the attached bank account to a PayPal account is a completely different matter.... 

The Police do. It just needs the police to wake up and recognise that a very active fraudster is ripping people off right, left and centre and then take action. The problem is that one instance of this chap’s actions is insignificant and on its own doesn’t trigger any action. However the cumulative effect is significant and if enough examples can be gathered they may be more motivated to take action. 

• Like 1